• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Coaching Search

SLCBengal

What names are being bantered about?

Does anybody know what the timeframe and the procedure for the search is? Committee?

SLCBengal said:

Does anybody know what the time frame and the procedure for the search is? Committee?

Tingey said the goal is to have someone hired by the end of the month. I'd say the groundwork is already in place for a new hire. You just don't have things come together in two weeks without having folks already lined up. Plus, Tingey said that he has already been in touch with other BSC AD's regarding the opening. I see this as a Barnum, Kramer race.

Names that I am hearing:

Bruce Barnum
James Ward
Mike Kramer (early leader)

bengalcub said:
SLCBengal said:

Does anybody know what the time frame and the procedure for the search is? Committee?

Tingey said the goal is to have someone hired by the end of the month. I'd say the groundwork is already in place for a new hire. You just don't have things come together in two weeks without having folks already lined up. Plus, Tingey said that he has already been in touch with other BSC AD's regarding the opening. I see this as a Barnum, Kramer race.

Names that I am hearing:

Bruce Barnum
James Ward
Mike Kramer (early leader)

Just over two weeks? Wow, that's a tight time line. Given that, it would be hard to get folks like Brent Pease or James Ward to consider the ISU job, they will still be working towards bowl games.

Regardless, I like the names I'm hearing, all know how to get it done in the Big Sky.

Guess who plays Washington State next season...

Mike Kramer joined the Washington State University football staff prior to the 2010 season as the Cougars' assistant coordinator of football operations.

Kramer had previously served as the head coach at Montana State for seven seasons where he amassed 40 wins and led the Bobcats to three Big Sky Conference championships. He also served as head coach at Eastern Washington, where he compiled a record of 37-32 from 1994-99, including the school's first outright conference title in 1997. His 77 career wins, 52 of which came in league play, ranked third all-time in conference history, and he is the only coach to win Big Sky Coach of the Year honors at two different schools.

From 2002-07 MSU went 35-26 (.574), including an eight-win campaign in 2006, the school's highest total since 1984. Kramer also orchestrated five-straight winning seasons, the longest for the program in more than 40 years (1956-64). The Bobcats' 2006 season also featured the school's first postseason win and postseason home game since 1984, and a No. 10 final national ranking.

The Colton, Wash., native began his coaching career at his prep alma mater as a student teacher and assistant coach in 1976, helping the team to the state B-11 Championship. The next year, Kramer became a full-time assistant at Helena High, and upon his mentor's departure to join the MSU staff was elevated to the head coaching position. His highly successful tenure - he led the Bengals to the state title game for the first time since 1958 - was capped with a stint as the winning head coach in the East-West Shrine Game in '82.

After serving as Helena's head coach from 1980-82, Kramer joined the Bobcat staff in 1983 as defensive line coach, and a year later was part of a championship squad. In 1985, Kramer assumed defensive coordinator duties. Following the 1986 season, Kramer became a teacher and head football coach at Tacoma Stadium High School, and remained there for two seasons. In 1989, Dick Zornes hired Kramer as Eastern Washington's offensive line coach.

A 1977 graduate of Idaho, Kramer started 36 of his 44 games on the offensive and defensive lines, including nine games at defensive end as a freshman in 1972. The next year he started seven games at center, and in 1974 and 1975 started at guard.

Mike and his wife Sandi have two daughters, Courtney and Gretchen, a student at Washington State University.

Dan Hawkins:

Hawkins attended college at UC-Davis, where he played fullback from 1978 to 1982, and earned a bachelor’s degree in physical education in 1984. He earned a master’s degree in educational administration in 1993 from St. Mary's College in Moraga.

He began his coaching career at UC-Davis under coach Jim Sochor the fall before he graduated, spending three years there (1983–85). He then served as head coach at Christian Brothers High School in Sacramento for the 1986 and 1987 seasons. He spent four seasons (1988–91) as the offensive coordinator at the College of the Siskiyous in Weed, then served as defensive coordinator at Sonoma State University in 1992.

Hawkins coached at Willamette University from 1993–97, leading them to a 40-11-1 overall record (0.779). In 1997, his Willamette team finished 13-1, losing in the NAIA National Championship Game.

Hawkins moved up to Division I-A football at Boise State in 1998 as an assistant under head coach Dirk Koetter. When Koetter was offered the head coaching job at Arizona State, Hawkins was promoted from assistant head coach to BSU's head coach on December 2, 2000. In 2004, Hawkins was honored with his second Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Coach of the Year title in three years. Through the 2005 season, he compiled a 53-11 record (0.828) in five seasons as Boise State's head coach, including a 37-3 record (0.925) in WAC competition with four straight WAC titles. Only Walter Camp, George Washington Woodruff and Bob Pruett had more total wins in their first five years of head coaching. He holds a 31–game WAC winning streak, the longest in conference history.[1] While at Boise State, Hawkins hired Chris Petersen as his offensive coordinator.

Colorado
Hawkins was introduced as head football coach at the University of Colorado on December 16, 2005.[2] Hawkins was signed to a five-year contract paying him $900,000 annually with incentives totaling to $1.5 million.[3] Hawkins took over the Colorado football program from Gary Barnett who had spent much of his tenure mired in controversy.

Hawkins earned national attention in February 2007 during the National Signing Day press conference. He passionately expressed his disappointment in the attitude of a player's parent who had anonymously complained about the reduction in the players' time off before the summer condition program started, famously saying "It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals! You've got two weeks after finals. You've got a week at July 4th. You've got a week before camp starts. That's a month! That's probably more vacation than you guys (reporters) get. And we're a little bummed out that we don't get three weeks? Go play intramurals, brother. Go play intramurals."[4]

Prior to the 2009 football season, Hawkins, under fire for his performance at Colorado thus far publicly pledged "ten wins no excuses". The team ended that year with a 3-9 record. On November 26, 2009, Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn announced that Hawkins would return as head football coach for the 2010 season, despite an overall record at CU of 16 wins and 33 losses. Under Hawkins, the Buffaloes have a conference record of 10 wins and 25 losses and a road record (games not played at Folsom Field or Invesco Field at Mile High) of 2 wins and 24 losses (0.077 winning percentage).

On November 6, 2010, Colorado blew a 28 point fourth-quarter lead over the Kansas Jayhawks and lost, 52-45, the biggest collapse in the 121-year history of Colorado football[5]. While still nursing that large lead in the fourth quarter, Hawkins continued to have his team throw the ball on offense instead of running out the clock, allowing Kansas time to mount its comeback. There has been widespread suspicion Hawkins made that choice because he was more concerned about his quarterback, son Cody Hawkins, breaking the school's all-time passing record than winning the game[6].

After the Kansas loss, Hawkins was criticized for cutting his contractually-obligated post-game interview with radio station KOA short after just two questions and 27 seconds. After the interviewer asked him why Colorado didn't run the ball more to protect their shrinking lead, he dismissively replied, "We were playing football moving it both ways. A tough day. Thanks, guys."[7].

Dan Hawkins was fired by the University of Colorado on November 9th, 2010[8]. Hawkins was making approximately $1.5 million a year (including incentives and base salary); his buyout will be approximately $2 million[9].

Personal life
He is married to the former Misti Rae Ann Hokanson, a registered nurse. They are the parents of four grown children, daughters Ashley and Brittany, and sons Cody [10] (a senior quarterback at Colorado) and Drew [11]. His sons-in-law include Tim Brady (Brittany - Boise, Idaho) and Matthew McMullen (Ashley - Portland, OR) and is the grandfather to Jaxson Hugh Brady (age 1). His interests range from doing things with his family, such as skydiving with his daughters and taking family vacations to places such as Machu Picchu, to reading, to studying game video while listening to jazz music.

Tingey met with the team captains today:

He is considering cleaning shop in the athletic administration
There might be a new strength coach in the future as well
He realizes that a new head coach alone won't fix ISU's problems
Players were told that a new turf is coming in next year
They will charter more flights to away football games next year

That time frame would probably leave out Dirk Koetter and a BSU assistant. A name to consider: Steve Krathorpe who is available or John L. Smith.

GemStateFootball said:
Wish List
1. Dirk Koetter (being considered by Colorado)
2. John L. Smith
3. Steve Kragthorpe
4. Gary Barnett (dark horse)
5. Dan Hawkins

I realize this is a "wish list" but I would be surprised if any of these names end up in Pocatello.

I must add to this thread.

Being an old X player/ Bengal foundation member for years now, and watching this program go down year after year.
(other than a few good years when LEW was here and since JIM KOETTER WAS THE HEAD COACH....YES, After Jim was let go, the program went to hell other than when Larry had some good years NOTE, last time in NCAA Playoffs 1983???? CHRIST that is a long time ago....)

You all list names of coaches that have fine reputations etc. However, HOW DO YOU THINK THEY WILL COME TO POCATELLO FOR A SMALL SALARY OF AROUND MAYBE $150 K??? or less???

The deal is this. ISU needs to find a coach who has been in the circle of big programs as an assistant, etc.
Maybe even a head coach at one time in their careers. ???
Most of these coaches are making as assistants over $200 K ++....YES, true.
So, to get any of the names you all wish for? ISU needs to come up with a good amount of $$$ to hire a proven coach.

I have some names but I feel no need to list here. I will call many I know who are at this time assistant coaches in the game today at fine programs, and see if ??? They may be interested to interview. I will then pass this on to our AD.

I am ready (like most all of you) to see this ship start to float again. WE NEED MORE $$$ and Lot's of it.
We need better facilities, turf, etc etc. We need a coach who knows he can have the support of the UNIVERSITY ADM. ( GAAWD I AM GLAD THE OLD PRES. BOWEN IS GONE!! ANTI ATHLETIC) and fans. We need to win to raise $$$....We need more $$$ to win. Catch 22.....It all starts now. We need a proven coach. A coach who has the knowledge to win, hire a good staff and recruit. We do not need to hire a coach who will just take a salary of $125 etc..and keep us where we are today....

Thanks for the time.
GO BENGALS

****NOTE TO ALL...Just got a call. DONE DEAL...COACH has been hired....so, I hope the above does come true. LORD HELP OUR BENGALS....the time is now. I hope this coach can get er done????

OLD#74, Kramer, Ward and Barnum all pass the "can you see them in Pocatello" reality test. Many of the others... Hawkins, Koetter, etc. do not.

However, as proven head coaches... do we really know if Barnum or Ward can put together a decent staff, that is, do they have the requisite connections in the coaching profession? Obviously, many think this was one of the major failings of Zamberlin.

OLD#74 said:
I must add to this thread.

****NOTE TO ALL...Just got a call. DONE DEAL...COACH has been hired....so, I hope the above does come true. LORD HELP OUR BENGALS....the time is now. I hope this coach can get er done????

WHAT??? It seems you need to add a little more. :lol:

Kramer or Barnum would put together a staff almost instantly. I will bet my leftee that ISU is getting one of the two.

I will be happy with either.

Be careful what you wish for in Kramer. Idaho almost hired him as HC and backed off when several of his players were arrested. An assistant coach at MSU under his watch went to prison for selling meth to high school kids. He is still litigating his firing at MSU. If you want a coordinator who has been a head coach what Steve Axman at UofI former NAU head coach or Tim Walsh the HC and Cal Poly SLO.

homeytennis said:
Be careful what you wish for in Kramer. Idaho almost hired him as HC and backed off when several of his players were arrested. An assistant coach at MSU under his watch went to prison for selling meth to high school kids. He is still litigating his firing at MSU...

take a look at cubs post on kramer.

Kramer settled with MSU for $240,000 this August, ending a drawn-out lawsuit he filed after he was fired in 2007. He said he wanted his day in court. It turns out he wanted to stroll down those hallways a little bit more.

seems that he wasn't as involved as his being fired from MSU would lead one to believe.

homeytennis said:
Be careful what you wish for in Kramer. Idaho almost hired him as HC and backed off when several of his players were arrested. An assistant coach at MSU under his watch went to prison for selling meth to high school kids. He is still litigating his firing at MSU. If you want a coordinator who has been a head coach what Steve Axman at UofI former NAU head coach or Tim Walsh the HC and Cal Poly SLO.

Former players were arrested. Also, Kramer settled out of court with MSU--leads me to believe that his termination was a little fishy. Either way, a humble Kramer that has learned from his experiences may just be what the doctored ordered. Look at Montana State today--Kramer built that foundation.

The guy is a fundraiser and someone that the community and donors will love.

This hire is going to come quick--I am confident that ISU has done its homework. This must have been in the works for awhile.

With that said, I am hearing it is a two person race--between Kramer and Barnum. Most are saying that Kramer is a done deal.

Latest posts

Back