• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Colton Paulhus has left the team.

bengalcub

From what I have heard he was asked to play on the defensive interior, but wanted to play DE. No longer on fall roster.

Colton Paulhus
Defensive Line
6-2 * 260 * Fr * HS
Granite Bay, CA
Granite Bay HS
HS ... Lettered in football for two years at Granite Bay High School ... was named First Team All-League and Second Team All-City after recording 87 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and three sacks as a senior ... was Second Team All-Sierra Foothills League as a junior with 78 tackles and five sacks ... helped Granite Bay to back-to-back state playoff appearances, including a section title in 2007 ... Personal ... his parents are Scott and Lynette Paulhus ... will major is business management ... his birthday is June 3, 1991.

bengalcub said:
From what I have heard he was asked to play on the defensive interior, but wanted to play DE. Np longer on fall roster.

Colton Paulhus
Defensive Line
6-2 * 260 * Fr * HS
Granite Bay, CA
Granite Bay HS
HS ... Lettered in football for two years at Granite Bay High School ... was named First Team All-League and Second Team All-City after recording 87 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and three sacks as a senior ... was Second Team All-Sierra Foothills League as a junior with 78 tackles and five sacks ... helped Granite Bay to back-to-back state playoff appearances, including a section title in 2007 ... Personal ... his parents are Scott and Lynette Paulhus ... will major is business management ... his birthday is June 3, 1991.

Wow, that's a shame. I heard the kid is a beast.

Unfortunately, its true.
Altho there seemed to be a communication breakdown, I would say he was mishandled.

Seems like they didn't know what they had until it was too late.

However, no one player is ever bigger than one team.

You would still think that both parties could sit down and get things worked out. I'd still like to think that a kid would help out wherever he was asked to play. If he were truly a D-end, he would have ended up back there in time. Shoot, the pads weren't even on yet and kids will be flip-flopping around all the time during two-a-days.

I'd say you're right.
But if I am reading it correctly, that ideology wasn't conveyed.
I guess the position thing should've have really been clarified at arrival and b4 scholly.

bengalcub said:
That blows, the old get him committed and in camp and then tell him.

Thats how the business works...about 3 freshman D-linemen thought they would be playing DE, but they are all at D tackle right now and neither one of them have a problem with it. The 3 kids are Jake Pele, Isaiah Walker, and Rob Tramonte. Thats a team-first attitude.

I hear you 916, the above mentioned three are great team players. I like the team first attitude, however if a kid makes a decision with his heart set on playing a position when he commits, I can understand that, too. The position that a person plays may be the reason a kid commits.

I dont think that this situation was mishandled at all! From what I hear, Paulhus just randomly left, didnt talk to any of the coaches and the staff found out through another player. So if it was mishandled, it was by the Paulhus family. I thought that when you sign to play at a school, you actually follow thru with your word. They were barely into camp and to quit like that and how their family went about it, i think its ridiculous! To also think that you are going to be coached by one of the best D-line coaches in the country in Joe Cullen, what else would you want! I think its pretty selfish to just quit because you werent at DE to start, what happened to putting the team first? By the way< Bengal Believer didnt you have a son on the team last year? Where did he go?

First let me clear something up Colton did not leave the program because he was not going to have a chance to play defensive end. Coach Cullen told him the first two nights that he " Was not a tackle". Colton chose to leave the program for reasons that belong to him. Although he probably didn't go about it the best possible way, he tried to do it in a way that he could not be convinced otherwise.He still feels he made the right decision for himself and his future. Something else that I would like to address is the coaching staff, they are nothing short of awesome! Colton had other options, the biggest reason he chose ISU was because of the coaches. It was difficult to walk away from a coach like Cullen, he is far and above the best recruit of the 09 class. I spent a week in Pokey with Colton and I will say that the negativity of the community towards the football program is hard to take. It seemed like everywhere we went, Restaurants, stores, banks etc. the question was always the same. " Why would you choose to play football here?" It got to the point where you just get over the excitement of telling people. I still believe in Coach Z and what he is doing for this program, if this staff can't turn this program around then God help Idaho State Football.

I guess that there are at least THREE sides to every story.

Either way, good luck to Colton wherever he lands. I have heard very good things about Coach Cullen from a TON of folks.

he's gone - who cares why he left? he never played one snap for the bengals. good bye, good luck. perhaps we can focus on the players who are here and going to stay?

spartan said:
he's gone - who cares why he left? he never played one snap for the bengals. good bye, good luck. perhaps we can focus on the players who are here and going to stay?

Actually, I DO care why he left...because maybe we could've fixed it, but what was the line Gene Hackman said as coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers when Hickory's team was previewed for the student body and everybody started yelling "We want Jimmy! We want Jimmy!"? Coach Dale stopped the crowd...pointed to his players lined up behind him and said...

"This is your team".

He also said during his first practice while they were doing all their dribbling and passing drills, "Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit ... team, team, team ... no one more important than the other."

I think it's unrealistic to think that ANY team in the country won't have some fallout from its roster. Every year it happens. Colton is a kid with a lot of talent...and he might be big wherever he ends up...but whoever stays is "Our team"...no matter what.

I know that season ticket sales are down...I know that a lot of people aren't interested in ISU football right now...I know we have a big job ahead of us to build this thing back up. I know we get no respect from elsewhere around the league...I know there are other parts of the university that make things really tough for young men coming here to play.

I also know that Coach Z is a fabulous guy...a good coach trying to re-build a program that's had to hit bottom in order to go back up. I know that he has a lot of quality, committed men on his staff that care about this program and the young men in it. I know that I'm truly excited to see what we put on the field this year...we have so much more depth than we have in the past. I know that we're seeing good leadership from the top down...from Pres. Vailas to Jeff Tingey to Jay McMillan and Donna Hayes, to those who labor in Athletics without any fanfare or recognition. I know we have a new video board that will make games at Holt Arena more exiting to attend...I know that we're getting a new football locker room that will give all these young men more pride in who they are and what they're trying to do. I know that there will be some improvements in what concessions offers this year. I know that I can feel "football in the air". I know that it's time...

Latest posts

Back