• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Congrats to ISU Women's Basketball / By the Numbers

PBP

Folks:

Congratulations to the ISU women's basketball team, who showed what they're made of once again on Saturday. The "cardiac kids..." know how to get things done as these stats show. Some of the numbers are stunning:

1. Since the start of the 2010-2011 season (Seton's 3rd season) through the win Saturday over East. Washington, ISU is 40-19 (.677) in their last 59 games. They are 23-9 (.718) in conference play in that same two year span.

2. Since the start of the 2009-2010 season (Seton's 2nd season) through the win Saturday over East. Washington, ISU is 9-1 (.900) in games decided by three points (one possession game) or less in that three year span.

3. Since the start of the 2009-2010 season (Seton's 2nd season) through the win Saturday over East. Washington, ISU is 16-3 (.842) in games decided by five points (two possession game) or less in that three year span.

4. Since the start of the 2009-2010 season (Seton's 2nd season) through the win Saturday over East. Washington, ISU is 5-3 (.625) in overtime games in that three year span.

5. Since the start of the 2009-2010 season (Seton's 2nd season) through the win Saturday over East. Washington, ISU is 33-6 (.846) in home games (includes the two games at Holt Arena) in that three year span.

6. With the win Saturday over East. Washington ISU became just the 6th team since the first full season of the new century (2000-2001 season) to post at least 14 conference wins in a season. Here are the others:

16-0 Idaho State 2000-2001 season
15-1 Montana 2006-2007 season
15-1 Montana 2008-2009 season
14-0 Montana 2003-2004 season
14-2 Portland State 2008-2009 season
14-2 Idaho State 2011-2012 season

7. Since the first full season of the new century ISU has made six postseason appearances since they have already secured at least a spot in the WNIT. Assuming Montana doesn't win the postseason tournament and secure a bid to the postseason ISU is close to Montana in postseason appearance in that 12 year span. Here's how it breaks down:

Montana - 7 appearance (5 NCAA, 2 WNIT)
Idaho State - 6 appearance (2 NCAA, 4 WNIT) That's as of now. They could get an NCAA spot which would change the breakdown to 3 and 3 NCAA vs. WNIT
Portland State - 3 appearances (1 NCAA, 2 WNIT)
Weber State - 2 appearances (2 NCAA)
E. Washington - 1 appearance (1 WNIT)
Montana State - 1 appearance (1 WNIT)
No. Arizona - 1 appearance (1 NCAA)

ISU is making a postseason appearance once every two years on average since the start of the new century.

PBP

Nice Analysis. The problem is going to be keeping Seton here. But we will worry about that at a later time.

Congrats to Seton, his entire staff and, of course, the players, who provided a tremendous regular season. Now, let's go get a tourney title and on to the NCAA!

MVEM:

No disrespect intended but it's hard to take any tournament seriously that expects the participants to pay them what amounts to an "entry" or "participation" fee in addition to asking that if you want to host a game (i.e. have a home game) you have to help pay for the visiting clubs expenses to get to your place,

That doesn't sound like a "major" postseason tournament...just my opinion.

PBP

PBP said:
MVEM:

No disrespect intended but it's hard to take any tournament seriously that expects the participants to pay them what amounts to an "entry" or "participation" fee in addition to asking that if you want to host a game (i.e. have a home game) you have to help pay for the visiting clubs expenses to get to your place,

That doesn't sound like a "major" postseason tournament...just my opinion.

PBP

Uh, OK. That's not much different than the FCS playoffs in football, but whatever (& here, the home teams actually get to keep all revenue).

And I don't think most people consider the WNIT "major," either. And you didn't even specify "major" in the first place…

The point is that NoCo was selected to a tournament & was playing postseason games after the Big Sky Tournament.

MVEN:

Again no problem. Feel free to submit a list with your own parameters. I knew about Northern Colorado but simply don't consider the BCI a "major" postseason tournament.

When you have to pay to get in instead of being asked to participate as a reward for a good season, that's a little odd don't you think? And from what I've been told that's the situation, if you are asked to participate and say 'yes' you have to cut a check to the BCI to play.

I agree with you, the only prominent postseason tournament (for now) is the NCAA (we'll see what happens after the superconferences form - read Mike DeCourcey's latest interview at The Sporting News) but at least the NIT has a long and distinguished history. At one time it was more important than the NCAA's. There's a track record there at least over time for both the men and women.

The BCI, I think, this is just my opinion, is going to go the way of that other postseason tournament that was around for a short period of time. I'm sorry I don't remember the name, something like the Coaches Challenge Tournament....something like that. It was around for a few seasons than disappeared.

Not trying to attack you or anything, we simply have a difference of opinion.

PBP

Latest posts

Back