• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Fair Catches in SF game

I am predicting 6 Fair Catches by our Bengals and ZERO Punt Returns by our Bengals against SF this Saturday. What is your prediction? The Winner gets a chance to Fair Catch punts during the half time show.

I'm a huge Mike Kramer fan but I couldn't disagree with him more on this subject. He has more knowledge about football than I will ever hope to have but that doesn't mean I can't have my own opinion about what I think is an important facet of the game. He can tell me that I just have to understand – but I don’t. Last year special teams lost more games – or significantly reduced the Bengals chances of winning - than any other single aspect of the game. Kramer is so aggressive in every other area of the game, but so passive with regards to special teams. I just don’t get it. I say take some chances with your athletes, let them do what they do best, if they need to call for a fair catch, no problem, but if they have a little room to return a punt, let them! If they fumble or otherwise make a mistake pat them on the butt and tell them to do better next time, and then trust your defense to get the ball back for you. I won’t boo or otherwise show my displeasure at the game – I think that’s classless – but I do wish he’d consider using special teams as a weapon and not as an opportunity to get the ball back with as little risk as possible.

Just one man’s opinion…..

bengalguy said:
I'm a huge Mike Kramer fan but I couldn't disagree with him more on this subject. He has more knowledge about football than I will ever hope to have but that doesn't mean I can't have my own opinion about what I think is an important facet of the game. He can tell me that I just have to understand – but I don’t. Last year special teams lost more games – or significantly reduced the Bengals chances of winning - than any other single aspect of the game. Kramer is so aggressive in every other area of the game, but so passive with regards to special teams. I just don’t get it. I say take some chances with your athletes, let them do what they do best, if they need to call for a fair catch, no problem, but if they have a little room to return a punt, let them! If they fumble or otherwise make a mistake pat them on the butt and tell them to do better next time, and then trust your defense to get the ball back for you. I won’t boo or otherwise show my displeasure at the game – I think that’s classless – but I do wish he’d consider using special teams as a weapon and not as an opportunity to get the ball back with as little risk as possible.

make that two men's opinion.....

bhumble said:
bengalguy said:

make that two men's opinion.....

make that three men's opinion. Who will be number four?

Folks:

I understand where you are coming from and you have some valid points but remember Mike has the final say on things right or wrong. I don't think he's going to change his mind on this one so continue the discussion if you wish by all means just remember that the odds of anything dramatically changing are maybe 1%. Like Jerry said I'm sure at some point they'll return a few (They returned five last season) but it's not going to be a regular feature.

PBP

maybe, the fans at the home games will start to raise their right arm and hand over their head when the opposing team will be punting to alert the refs that we are fair catching the ball again. I predicted 6 fair catches with zero returns on Saturday. Is it possible to have fans come down on the field at halftime to run some punts back? The fans may like that.

It's a fun topic to debate, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm more concerned about the injuries to the OL. Mike said during his press conference that Finneanagonofo may start practicing again soon, which probably puts him three weeks out before he's fully available. The other two starters are much farther out, Mike said. That means Gueller and company are going to face two PAC 12 defenses with three backups essentially on the line. Those kinds of problems can snowball. Here's hoping the Bengals can get through that stretch in fairly good health.

I noticed that we've got freshman Jacob Molenaar as a penciled in as a backup at left guard. And Kramer was hoping to redshirt him this year as he's recovering from a shoulder injury. Let's hope these o-linemen get healthy soon.

Mike told me that all three OL should be back at some point this season but that two of them are a long way off.

Brad is exactly correct, with no experienced backup quarterback, Gueller is the biggest factor for ISU this season. They have got to keep him upright and healthy.

PBP

It is not good to have 3 starting OL out of the line up and start 3 freshmen but what can you do. Sounds like a recruiting issue to me when 3 freshmen OL are starting on a Big Sky team.

bengalguy said:
Can we fair catch a shotgun snap and make the defense count to 3 before they rush the QB? Just sayin.....

What does it mean when Bengals players raise their arm over their head with four fingers in the air at the end of the 3rd Qtr? Most will say going into the last Qtr or 4th Qtr. If you said, " four fair catches at the end of the 3rd Qtr than you may also be correct".

up for the challenge said:
It is not good to have 3 starting OL out of the line up and start 3 freshmen but what can you do. Sounds like a recruiting issue to me when 3 freshmen OL are starting on a Big Sky team.

I'm sure no one expected three offensive lineman to go down with injuries, two of them in fall training camp. That's a large number this early and seems a little out of the ordinary in my opinion.

And remember this is an FCS team, they don't have the same number of scholarships available where you can have say 10-14 offensive lineman like Alabama, Oklahoma et al.

You have to balance them out over a large spectrum of positions.

PBP

It is terrible that three Ol are out with injuries that are starters. Maybe, these three freshmen will obtain the experience needed to become good players this season. They will be very good OL in the future. Any more thoughts on Fair Catches in the SF game? I hope to see one punt return in the game but it is highly unlikely.

Well my personal opinion is that the subject of fair catch / punt returns is probably pretty far down on the list of things to be concerned about when looking at the 2016 ISU team. That's just the way I look at it.

PBP

I would be #5. If we don't return punts against SF, then it's not going to happen for the rest of the season.

If we are that depleted at OL, would Coach K ever consider using an upper-classman DL player to start getting up to speed for the OL? I know there's a different skill set, but this is early in the season and a stronger, more experienced upper-classman might be able to fight harder to stand their ground.

bill_idaflls said:
I would be #5. If we don't return punts against SF, then it's not going to happen for the rest of the season.

If we are that depleted at OL, would Coach K ever consider using an upper-classman DL player to start getting up to speed for the OL? I know there's a different skill set, but this is early in the season and a stronger, more experienced upper-classman might be able to fight harder to stand their ground.

PBP is correct that punt returns is a lower priority. On the other hand, punt returns and kick off returns could be viewed as an actual offense play to gain yardage or the possibility of taking it to the end zone. When you have scholarship players with 4.4 or 4.5 speed on the team that is an offense weapon especially if they can find an opening on a return. With that said, freshmen Michael Dean has the quickness and speed at a 4.4 Forty to take it to the end zone. Why waste talent and burn his red shirt if Michael Dean is only going to play RB sometimes? He knows how to fair catch balls if he has too but he also knows how to catch a ball and take off to the end zone ( 37 TD's as a senior in high school and 5th leading rusher in the nation as a RB). You are right Bill, if we do not return punts in the SF game than it is not going to happen during the season.

Imagine That! No fair catches and 3 punt returns for a total of 9 yards. It is a start but only 9 yards on 3 returns is pretty weak. I would give Michael Dean a shot on punt returns as he has the quickness and speed to pick up big time yardage. I thought the defense and offense played well. Gueller threw the ball well today. I am a little concerned that Gueller maybe fumble happy as he coughed up the ball three times today. Keep both hands on the ball until you decide to pass probably needs to be practiced more but it is just my suggestion.

Punt Returns

Boils down to Risk vs. Reward. The coaches clearly understand that, and they have to look at a much bigger picture than we do.(including keeping their best players healthy). Risk/Reward.

For Entertainment Value:
The video link below is Bill Parcells on the subject of punt returns. Love him or hate him, he entertains & has a lot to say on the subject.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0LjSembuY

Latest posts

Back