• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Final Press Conference...

PBP

Just some quick notes from Mike's final get together:

1. BIG NEWS...(or BREAKING NEWS if you are CNN-LOL!) ISU has approved funding for the football program so that the top 50 players will be able to stay in Pocatello this summer, not have to work full time and can take classes (reducing the academic load in the fall) and work out. Mike said this had been in the works since this early fall.

2. Said nine guys currently with the team will get scholarships for next year. Only looking to fill five slots recruiting-wise. One each at QB, OT, S, CB and LB. That's all.

3. Provided a two deep chart and specifically went through every injury suffered by players on it. ISU suffered two ACL injuries, two severe shoulder injuries, one broken (two places) hand injury, five concussions that caused players to miss time, one knee injury, one torn labrum injury and two severe left ankle injuries.

4. Stressed ISU has got to stop playing two upper power five opponents every year. Can't be playing the Pac-12, the SEC...Mountain West is tough but not at the same level.

5. Asked why fans should still have faith in him, Mike replied, "I hope I've regained the trust of the fans because of the way we played the last three games against Montana, Eastern Washington and Weber State...three pretty good teams..."

6. Asked what will really turn the program around Mike said, "Money...it's gonna take money...lots of money..."

PBP

....thanks PBP for the updates........when was " Mike's final get together " held ?....and so you are saying he won't be on the coaches' show this Wednesday....as a final wrap up to the season.....correct...?...

clawsout said:
....thanks PBP for the updates........when was " Mike's final get together " held ?....and so you are saying he won't be on the coaches' show this Wednesday....as a final wrap up to the season.....correct...?...

Final press conference was at noon today. There is no coaches show Wednesday because it is Thanksgiving week. Mike is done until I'm guessing signing day in early February from coming on the radio.

PBP

Thank you PBP for the updates. That was a good, informative interview today. Happy thanksgiving to you and all the others in the Bengal family

I'm intrigued at the first 5 points but I am not satisfied with number 6.

Money where? Paying coaches? Holt arena? Summer feeding and stay scholarships? Travel funds?

I get it it would be nice to improve it all but if the team wins people will come and watch, and then spend/donate money.

Wish I could ask him where he thinks the money needs to go first.

I'll combine my answer to Bengal Believer and Up's comments / questions regarding #6.

Yes...Mike was serious...DEAD serious with his comment.

And it is just my impression based on his postgame comments to Jerry and myself on air after the loss at NAU that it is in reference to a real, total commitment by the university to their athletic programs. Remember after NAU he talked about that and was pretty frank about it. I think this was in reference to that. Again I don't want to put words in his mouth but I'm wondering if Mike feels there are specific things that could be / should be happening and aren't for whatever reason or reasons.

Madison from the Journal was at the press conference and I'm sure he'll have an extensive story in the paper Tuesday and may have the actual video posted somewhere so fans can watch / read and judge for themselves.

PBP

Can someone that is familiar with the Walk-On process at ISU explain to the viewers and me how 9 walk-on players on the current team managed to obtain a partial or full scholarship if they did not start on offense or defense? I know for a fact that high school recruits must be an NCAA qualifier and must meet the ISU academic requirements before an offer is made by ISU. I believe walkons do not need to be an NCAA qualifiers as they just apply to ISU as a normal student and walk-on with hope they will play. I also believe walk-ons are not part of the APR's until they are actually on scholarship. I have heard the term Preferred Walk-on which is we do not have a scholarship for you coming out of high school right now but if you come to ISU at your own expense I may have a scholarship for you later if you have a high GPA while at ISU. Is this how ISU is giving out scholarships nowadays other than players proven to be a scholarship type of player coming out of high school or through the JUCO and/or step downs. Seems like it based on this upcoming recruiting season. Personally, I believe walk-ons should go the JUCO route if they want a scholarship. If not, they have to be a starter to get a scholarship

up for the challenge said:
Can someone that is familiar with the Walk-On process at ISU explain to the viewers and me how 9 walk-on players on the current team managed to obtain a partial or full scholarship if they did not start on offense or defense? I know for a fact that high school recruits must be an NCAA qualifier and must meet the ISU academic requirements before an offer is made by ISU. I believe walkons do not need to be an NCAA qualifiers as they just apply to ISU as a normal student and walk-on with hope they will play. I also believe walk-ons are not part of the APR's until they are actually on scholarship. I have heard the term Preferred Walk-on which is we do not have a scholarship for you coming out of high school right now but if you come to ISU at your own expense I may have a scholarship for you later if you have a high GPA while at ISU. Is this how ISU is giving out scholarships nowadays other than players proven to be a scholarship type of player coming out of high school or through the JUCO and/or step downs. Seems like it based on this upcoming recruiting season. Personally, I believe walk-ons should go the JUCO route if they want a scholarship. If not, they have to be a starter to get a scholarship

Up:

I don't think the nine players that Mike is talking about putting on scholarship next year (point # 2 in my original post) got any type of scholarship aid at all this year. That's why they were considered walk-on's. (Unless you are talking about some other players in which case I completely misunderstood your post.)

Their performance has earned them the right to get scholarship athletic aid in Mike's judgment. It doesn't matter at all if a player starts or not to earn a scholarship.

Your post was hard to figure out so if I completely got it wrong, I apologize.

PBP

I think it is ok if a walkon obtains a partial scholarship if they played during their walk on year. If the walkon becomes a starter on offense or defense than they should become a full scholarship player. Most full scholarship players are offered out of high school or a JUCO as they are considered starters immediately or in the future.

I think it is ok if a walkon obtains a partial scholarship if they played during their walk on year. If the walkon becomes a starter on offense or defense than they should become a full scholarship player. Most full scholarship players are offered out of high school or a JUCO as they are considered starters immediately or in the future.

Austin Campbell absolutely has earned a scholarship no matter what criteria ANY COACH, ARM CHAIR LOSER ETC.Might have

demian said:

Austin Campbell absolutely has earned a scholarship no matter what criteria ANY COACH, ARM CHAIR LOSER ETC.Might have

He played well on special teams. Who are the other 8 walkons that will be receiving scholarships? What positions did they play and did they play during the games this past season? Does anyone know as Kramer did not mention the players by name which is kind of strange to me as that should have been announced for the media just like Kramer announces his signees to the media on National Letter of Intent day in February. I would like to hear or read about them in the Journal and their accomplishments on the field that earned them a scholarship.

One thing to keep in mind is that Kramer is in the last year of his contract now, so unless ISU gives him an extension very soon, he's going to be recruiting as a "lame duck" this year. That may play into his decision to award walk-ons and limit the number of new players he's looking to bring into the program.

Mitch Gueller WR
Alex Espinoza moves from QB to Safety
Alvin Delve DB
Tucker Louie-McGee WR/RET/May move to DB
Andy Whittier ST STUD
Austin Campbell TE
Braiden Beckman DE
Kenneth Smith LB
Koby Lowe DB

I thought Mitch Gueller was already getting his school paid for from his professional baseball contract? This would have left an additional scholarship available.

demian said:

He played well on special teams. Who are the other 8 walkons that will be receiving scholarships? What positions did they play and did they play during the games this past season? Does anyone know as Kramer did not mention the players by name which is kind of strange to me as that should have been announced for the media just like Kramer announces his signees to the media on National Letter of Intent day in February. I would like to hear or read about them in the Journal and their accomplishments on the field that earned them a scholarship.

He played awesome all year long, he rarely played tight end which is what he is listed as on roster, he played more of like a H back and many many snaps as fullback and actually late in season lined up a lot as the single tail back. To me he was one of the most versatile players and absolutely one of the TOUGHEST players I watched all season long for ISU. In his end of season press conference yesterday Coach said Alvin Delve basically dominated on scout team defense as a corner back. I believe he redshirted last season.

Kennon Smith is also getting a scholarship after being a walk on this year and he is a linebacker who was a redshirt this season as a freshman and I hear he was VERY GOOD as a linebacker on defensive scout team

Skippy said:
One thing to keep in mind is that Kramer is in the last year of his contract now, so unless ISU gives him an extension very soon, he's going to be recruiting as a "lame duck" this year. That may play into his decision to award walk-ons and limit the number of new players he's looking to bring into the program.

Skippy,

I do not understand why Kramer would be recruiting as a "lame duck" during this recruiting season. Why would that play into his decision to award walkons? He has already announced he is giving out scholarships to walkons currently on the team. Are you saying because he has not been given an extension yet that he is not taking recruiting serious this recruiting season so he is giving walkons scholarships?He has another year on his contract so why is it necessary to give him an extension right now? I would think the AD would give him an extension next season sometime during the season in 2017 depending on team performance half way through the season. Personally, I would not give him an extension now based on his win-loss record at ISU. If he can show half way through the season that he can win some games in 2017 than I would consider an extension. If not, than it is decision time. He has been demanding quite abit lately to have a winning program. I am not sure the things he is demanding will work until he can show he can win.

Skippy said:

Skippy,

I do not understand why Kramer would be recruiting as a "lame duck" during this recruiting season. Why would that play into his decision to award walkons? He has already announced he is giving out scholarships to walkons currently on the team. Are you saying because he has not been given an extension yet that he is not taking recruiting serious this recruiting season so he is giving walkons scholarships?He has another year on his contract so why is it necessary to give him an extension right now? I would think the AD would give him an extension next season sometime during the season in 2017 depending on team performance half way through the season. Personally, I would not give him an extension now based on his win-loss record at ISU. If he can show half way through the season that he can win some games in 2017 than I would consider an extension. If not, than it is decision time. He has been demanding quite abut lately to have a winning program. I am not sure the things he is demanding will work until he can show he can win.
It's pretty unusual for a school to let a coach go into his last contract year. They typically either let him go or give him an extension. Why? Because if you are recruiting against other schools for a player, it's very easy for that other school to tell the recruit, "You don't want to go to that school, their coach is on his last year of his contract. He'll be gone in a year." That's the definition of a "lame duck" coach. I'm not saying Kramer isn't taking recruiting seriously -- what I'm saying is being on the last year of his contract will make it more difficult to attract recruits from outside the program.

Latest posts

Back