• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Fire Tingey!

YellowFin

That's what I'd be saying right now if i was a Bengal fan, but I'm not, so I won't.

Bill Evans made it to the NCAA's once in 15 years. Seems like a perfect fit for ISU, right? Match made in heaven.

SUU fired Evans, & hired a penguin for cryinout loud.

Somebody buy Tingey some super foaming Rogaine, & help this lad pull his head out.
:beer: :beer:

YellowFin said:
Bill Evans made it to the NCAA's once in 15 years. Seems like a perfect fit for ISU, right? Match made in heaven.

Well, I could say something sarcastic like, "and that's one more time than ISU has made the NCAA tournament in the last 25 years," but I won't. If Bill Evans is the guy -- and that's still an "if," -- there are a lot of things the knee-jerk crowd needs to consider before they start criticizing the selection. First and foremost is the APR situation (in both football and basketball) that has led ISU to impose tougher entrance requirements on recruits. That means that whoever gets hired is going to be expected to recruit mostly freshmen or "special case" JC kids, and it will take time and patience for the program to mature. Evans is a guy with experience recruiting for Big Sky-caliber schools (he reportedly was involved in recruiting Will Cherry to Montana, for example), and I would assume he has really good contacts with high school coaches throughout the Northwest.

The second thing to keep in mind is that Jeff and his search committee have consistently emphasized the need for the new coach to recruit Idaho and the surrounding area (like Utah), first and foremost. Again, Evans brings a history of recruiting this area. (His NCAA tournament team, by the way, included Justin Sant from Bancroft, Idaho). His Southern Utah teams were always very successful against ISU, and they usually included a lot of returned missionaries, JC kids from the SWAC who went JC not because of grades but because they needed development as players or they were going on missions after a year and didn't want to sit out at a four-year school.

Evans also has a reputation for being an outstanding defensive coach, one that was certainly embellished by the way the Griz completely shut down Weber in Missoula last week.

So if -- again that word, Bill is the guy, I think he brings some unique qualifications to the table. I hope Bengal fans have some patience with whoever is hired. This is going to be a rebuilding job, especially with Grabau, Moreira and McGowen leaving and the tougher academic standards for recruits in place.

Finally, Deane is a very good guy, I wish him nothing but the best in the future, and who knows, maybe whoever gets hired will offer him a job as an assistant? When I interviewed him when he first got the interim job, he said he was open to staying on as an assistant. That may have changed with time, but we'll see. He already has established relationships with a number of potential recruits that may be valuable to whoever gets the job.

You need to remember what yellow fin's orientation is -- a die-hard Weber fan who only wants the worst for ISU. Yellow, why don't you just stick to your own board and worry about your own team's problems.

Yellow Fin, aren't Tingey and "the penguin" both graduates of Weber State? So much for Wildcat pride, no? :dunce:

The Griz were the best defensive team in the Big Sky by a pretty good margin in each of Evans's 4 years as an assistant, so this looks like a good hire. Yeah, he only made the NCAAs once in 15 years, but that was at SUU-an unheralded school in a small city in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately it sounds like Evans won't be around for the Griz if they happen to make the NCAAs, though.

mvem said:
The Griz were the best defensive team in the Big Sky by a pretty good margin in each of Evans's 4 years as an assistant, so this looks like a good hire. Yeah, he only made the NCAAs once in 15 years, but that was at SUU-an unheralded school in a small city in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately it sounds like Evans won't be around for the Griz if they happen to make the NCAAs, though.

...and ISU is a most heralded school in a big city in the middle of somewhere???

SUU's arena makes ISU's Holt look like Junior College digs

yellowfin that loss at the HOLT ruined your chances to host the tournament. Still bitter huh? Then again what can we expect when you share the same color scheme at TINKY WINKY Webers favorite Tele Tubby

YellowFin said:
mvem said:

...and ISU is a most heralded school in a big city in the middle of somewhere???

What does that have to do with anything? My point was that Evans overachieved at SUU, which makes him a good hire for a school without a lot of success. Your point seems to be that Idaho State is hopeless so nothing matters & everyone should kill themselves.

I mean if I had to live in Pocatello, I might consider suicide, but I'm guessing ISU fans don't feel that way. ;)

In fairness to Evans, he wasn't even in a conference which granted an auto-bid for the NCAA's for his first 5 or 6 years there. I suppose he could have qualified for an at-large berth, but ask Weber or Montana how likely that is going to happen for them this season.

The Centrum @ SUU
4079253515_50ff4269fb_m.jpg

Will Evans have a facility like this to help him recruit?

SUU has a real arena. It seats 8,000, & it's nice. ISU has a potato barn with 45 yr old green seats. Evans is not a great recruiter + bad facilities = bad hire.

YellowFin said:
SUU has a real arena. It seats 8,000, & it's nice. ISU has a potato barn with 45 yr old green seats. Evans is not a great recruiter + bad facilities = bad hire.

Actually the Centrum only holds around 6,200 (per wikipedia) But it is definetely nicer than all of the other BSC venues minus the Dee and maybe Dahlberg arena.

The Centrum has been discussed as a modle for any new construction at ISU. However, most ISU basketball coaches are more interested in practice facilities than they are in a new arena. Holt is fine for our current needs as a home court. We don't lose recruits because of the facility. We lose recruits because we have not evaluated well and haven't had a larger area of emphasis. Finances have been a problem. There are always factors not discussed here but we have recruited excellent athletes to play in Holt before and we can do it again with the right staff.

I don't know if the thread title is serious or in jest. All I'll say is that Jeff with his administration help has secured the following in the past four years:

New video board for Holt Arena
New turf for Holt Arena
New locker room for football
New locker room for women's basketball (you should have seen the old one)
New locker room for volleyball
New locker room for softball
New stadium for softball
New basketball floor for Holt Arena
New resurfacing of basketball floor at Reed Gym
Hired Seton Sobolewski
Hired Mike Kramer

This has been done in a bad economic environment. More has been done in the past four years than probably in the past 20...yet some folks want to fire this guy? Are they serious??

:roll:

PBP

PBP said:
I don't know if the thread title is serious or in jest. All I'll say is that Jeff with his administration help has secured the following in the past four years:

New video board for Holt Arena
New turf for Holt Arena
New locker room for football
New locker room for women's basketball (you should have seen the old one)
New locker room for volleyball
New locker room for softball
New stadium for softball
New basketball floor for Holt Arena
New resurfacing of basketball floor at Reed Gym
Hired Seton Sobolewski
Hired Mike Kramer -
PBP

I agree with most of the items listed.

However, that video board should come with binoculars so you can even see what's on there (when it's working). It's amateurish in size and quality. Better than nothing? - really? :thumbdown:

IMHO, the jury should still be out on Kramer. They ran out of Kool-Aid on the line I was on. Let's see what happens in a couple of years. Then we'll see if Kramer is one of the achievements of Tingey's tenure. :|

Seton - absolutely! :thumb:

In Tingey's time, we haven't seen much in the way of increased marketing and publicity to draw crowds to the Holt - for football or men's basketball. Especially with the ISU students, increasing crowds at all ISU events should be a priority for TIngey and his staff. Win or lose - students should be able to have fun at the games. Hate to say it, but Bubb (ignoring some other 'problems') seemed to make more of an effort along those lines.

Kramer is the best thing to happen to ISU athletics since 1981. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He walked into a program with D2 talent and NO discipline. We need to be patient as this is a REBUILDING process. He has literally had to demolish a house that was built on sand(Z) and move it onto stable ground.

Pocatello like every other sports community will come out to support a winner (as well they should) the only exception to this are Cubs fans who have been supporting trash for over a century (which is one of the reasons they've never won anything of significance in that time but I digress...).

ISU home football attendance doubled this past season because there was something actually worth watching, even when they lost it was pretty exciting. Women's basketball should pass Montana State for the second best home attendance this season in the conference over the next few days. In part because they've won 22 games.

I understand the need to market (which falls by the way under the marketing director and NOT the A.D.) but the best marketing tool you can have is simple...win more games.

As the previous poster said give Mike four years, he'll have it going.

PBP

I am new to the board but not Pocatello or the athletic program, having worked in the program.

I don't think Tingey needs to be fired, but I do think we need to rethink how we hire. We seem to want "older guys" that are on the last legs of their career, or guys looking to make a comeback. (I have nothing personally against the current crop of coaches). I am mostly talking about men's athletics b-ball and football.

Instead of hiring those guys, we should be seeking out young coaches looking to make a splash and move on. We need to embrace that we could be a revolving door, not shun it. We win, we get the same quality of recruits, and maybe we get some notarity when our former coach makes it big.

We are going to get who we get recruit wise, and in talent they are not that different from anyone else in the big sky. It is about getting the right players to play together. ISU doesn't do a good job recruiting to the school as a whole.

My daughter is a top student, and went to Utah State on a visit. They were awesome, from how their admissions process is, to the students that helped us. We didn't even get a letter from ISU about her. MY wife and I are both alumni, with advanced degrees, and they, ISU doesn't want our daughter to come to school there?

The same thing happens in athletics. We choose guys that we think will be great, that don't understand what it is like to be a student in Pocatello. Let's stop trying to be something we are not, and embrace what we are, and be great at that.

my 2 cents.

crowdog said:
I don't think Tingey needs to be fired, but I do think we need to rethink how we hire. We seem to want "older guys" that are on the last legs of their career, or guys looking to make a comeback. (I have nothing personally against the current crop of coaches). I am mostly talking about men's athletics b-ball and football.

I don't disagree... Kramer, Evans, Zamberlin, O'Brien were all a bit older when hired. You could even throw Oliver in there.

Latest posts

Back