• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Four Big Sky Teams in Post-Season

Skippy

Montana is an 11.5 point underdog at Texas A&M in the NIT on Tuesday. Wednesday, NAU is a one-point favorite at Grand Canyon and Sac State is a 8.5 underdog at Portland in the CIT. On Thursday, Eastern Washington is a 7-point underdog vs. Georgetown in Portland in the NCAA.

Should be some good games and I wouldn't be suprised to see the Big Sky win a game or two this week.

What happened at the end of the Montana-NAU game which caused the conference to suspend NAU's coach for a post-season game? Seems like a silly suspension, because even though it takes effect for the Grand Canyon game, it could have been for next year's Big Sky tournament - assuming they made it. It would have made more sense to suspend him for a regular season conference game.

Meanwhile, the NCAA women's tournament still proves itself to be second rate to the men's tournament. When are they going to stop letting teams host first and/or second rounds? It messes with seeding, and Montana finds itself a 16 seed facing Notre Dame as host. There were 7 teams with a lower RPI than Montana, some with worse schedule strength (including Boise State). They should have been a 15 seed, not that it makes much difference. Still makes the women's tournament a shell of the men's.

Sas:

It's the first time since 2002, that the NCAA is allowing the top 16 seeds to host / play on their home courts according to a story I just read on ESPNW. The reasoning behind it is pretty simple $$$$$.

Those teams draw big crowds, which means more money for the NCAA. The women's game is still pretty localized with maybe 25 teams or so that really draw well so they are trying to maximize the possibility of generating income at the expense of fairness.

Not saying that's right or wrong but I can understand why they are doing it that way.

PBP

By the way Eastern, Sac. State and No. Colorado all got bids to the WNIT. All play their first games on the road.

No. Dakota's women accepted a bid to the CBI and I think they are on the road as well.

PBP

That's very impressive for Eastern given how good Washington State looked back in November. I wonder if Wash. St. really cared after getting bounced early in the Pac-12 tournament.

PBP

And how bad ISU looked in that game.

Couple more WNIT wins tonight. Northern Colorado beat the regular season MWC champs, Colorado State, and Sacramento State beat Pacific. The women's conference was much better than I thought it was this year.

Sin:

Asked about the Eastern game with some people who watched it last night, they said it looked at times like Wash. State didn't really want to be there. Not taking anything away from Eastern but that could have been a factor given that they barely won. Given how Eastern has played down the stretch, it makes ISU's effort at their place impressive as well...only losing by four.

N.D. lost by three last night at New Mexico so the conference overall has looked pretty good in the post season.

Some of those teams might get to host some second round WNIT games, we'll see.

I think Montana plays Friday night at Notre Dame and the result probably is not going to be very competitive.

PBP

PBP said:
I think Montana plays Friday night at Notre Dame and the result probably is not going to be very competitive.

The Lady Griz are only a 25.5 point dog, which is not as bad as expected.

UConn is favored by 58 to beat SFNY. I'd probably take the Huskies to cover. :lol:

In the WNIT, No. Colorado will host So. Dakota Sunday while Sacramento State also hosts a game Monday. Their opponent?? Eastern Washington.

Guess the committee had no other choice than to match two teams from the same conference against each other.

Will be very curious to see what the attendance is for that game and if they count tickets sold or actual bodies in the seats.

PBP

PBP said:
As expected Notre Dame had their way with Montana. Final score: 77-43.

PBP

Yeah… as Selvig alluded to, you can't go 2/21 from the arc and have any hope against a team like ND. It didn't help that the Irish hit just about every jump shot they took.

As for the WNIT, it's heavily regionalized. It's like if the NCAA Tournament actually adhered to their west, midwest, south, & east regional designations. I think NoCo & Sac will advance and set up a possible quarterfinal showdown.

The Sac men lost their CIT game at home last night against NAU. The box score showed over 1,100 for the game. That's pretty good, considering I've heard the Nest holds anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200. From what I could see last night, it was full. Good for them.

At least with the WNIT, the Big Sky is guaranteed at least one place in their version of the Sweet 16. Would be great to see one advance to the quarterfinal and even semifinal round.

Thanks to Northern Colorado, there will be a guaranteed 2 Big Sky teams in the WNIT Sweet 16. UNC beat South Dakota in front of 1,200 in Greeley. Now they go on the road to play UCLA. The winner of Sacramento State and Eastern Washington plays the winner of Fresno State and St. Mary's.

http://www.womensnit.com/bracket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sac took EWU out behind the woodshed tonight, beating them 84-49. Not only did Sac dominate turnovers (as usual), they dominated shooting & rebounds as well (not usual). How do you only score 49 against Sac State? :?

Sac will get to host St. Mary's Thursday. Hornet Gym with 3 postseason games? The apocalypse must be approaching. ;)

Sac definitely has a style advantage over most Big Sky teams, who are simply not used to that kind of basketball. Seton has been pretty successful over the years forcing Sac to play at his pace, but not this year. You need experienced, skilled ballhanders against Sac.

"Sac will get to host St. Mary's Thursday. Hornet Gym with 3 postseason games? The apocalypse must be approaching. ;)"

MVEN: Actually it's two home games they opened at Pacific in the WNIT.

PBP

PBP said:
"Sac will get to host St. Mary's Thursday. Hornet Gym with 3 postseason games? The apocalypse must be approaching. ;)"

PBP

Nope, it's 3. The Sac men hosted NAU in the CIT.

JJB said:
PBP said:

PBP

Nope, it's 3. The Sac men hosted NAU in the CIT.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

And Sac's women have won two WNIT games without the BSC's 3-point leader, Hallie Gennett, who mysteriously disappeared from their roster after the Big Sky Tournament.

Latest posts

Back