• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Good Kramer Presentation in I-F

Skippy

I went to hear Coach Kramer give his recruiting presentation to an Idaho Falls gathering today. As usual, high energy, highly-entertaining and informative. Coach K says he's going to come to Idaho Falls and speak every Monday during the season, and promised the group "access like you've never had to a coach before." He said he's expecting to take 12 to 15 walk-ons, with as many as five from the I-F area, and he would have liked to have scholarshipped a few of them if not for the APR restrictions.

He was asked about the previously-reported "commitments" who did not sign yesterday and said ISU is still recruiting these players and waiting on better grades and/or test scores before accepting signed commitments. Kramer also dispensed several fun nuggets of info:

--ISU will not scholarship a punter as long as he's here. "We're never going to punt again," he said jokingly. Then he reminded the audience that Travis Lulay did the rugby punt thing when he was MSU's QB.

--He has not, and probably won't name a defensive coordinator. He'll be involved in developing the defensive game plan during the week, but will expect his assistants to call the defenses on game day.

--He does not believe in man-to-man coverage at this level, and his blitzes will be zone blitzes. His team will not be "blitz crazy," but will lean toward an aggressive approach, vs. bend but don't break. The Bengals will be multiple front on defense, but mostly 3-4.

--The new turf will be green ("Grass is green, not blue or red," Jeff Tingey told the audience).

--The defense will be under-manned and walk-ons will have a lot of opportunity on that side of the football because he is emphasizing scoring and offense this year.

--Aaron (?) Pew of Highland High School will walk on as a kicker and has already been admitted to school.

--Coach K gave a long, impassioned discussion of his commitment to academics, pointing out that players who do not make it to class must "tumble" in the snow on the practice field at 5 a.m. He emphasized the GPAs of most of the recruits he discussed and said there is absolutely no excuse for players missing class.

On the down side, he noted that Tavoy Moore is academically ineligible for spring football, and a few players have left the program, which will be another APR hit.

Just returned from the Kramer Road Show in Idaho Falls. What a great kick-off to a new era of Bengal Football. His emphasis on academics started the discussion and was the foundation of everything else that he said. There were handouts on the recruiting class and a video presentation from game-film on recruits. He spoke spontaneously without notes, using players' names, family member names, statistics from the recruit's past playing time, hometown names, and humorous side-bars of info about recruiting and school visits. That impressed me more than anything else: he knows each player and family members by name. He needed no memory-prompts.

Coach K has that ability to make you believe without question. When he said "Our goal is to complete 400 passes in a season", you believe him. When he said, "On September 3, our players will be Pac 10 quality players", you believe him. When he said, "Our first game is Washington State and we will beat them", you believe him. When he said, "We will wear out the End Zone on the new turf", it makes you want to re-check the manufacturer's warranty before it is installed. And when he said, "On Home Game Weekends, the Tail Gate Party begins Thursday night", it makes you want to start packing your Grill and start looking for recipes.

Get ready Bengal fans. It's going to be a fun year!

WOW....great job you two on the notes regarding this meeting in Idaho Falls. I was there. Awesome to see ISU in Idaho Falls. Kramer will make the changes needed to win and put BUTTs in the seats at the "MINI DOME" as us old guys, including Kramer call it. No dis on DUBBY.

BTW...Coach Dave Kragthorpe and his wife Barbara in attendance today. Also Coach Kragthorpes Brother. A lot of great boosters from Idaho Falls in attendance. Great to see.

Donna Hayes, Jay McMillian, and Jeff Tingey all in attendance.

X players Scott Berger, ISU LB in the early 80's. Vern Harris QB during the 83 and 84 season at ISU along with Matt Malohny Kicker from same era. Chuck Bender a great ISU alum was there as was Gary Fawcett....

Getting an ISU Alumni type QB club for Idaho Falls area will be getting started up soon. All of you in the Idaho Falls area stay tuned. We will make it happen. It has been long over due.

Looking forward to next season.

BTW...IDAHO Plays Bowling Green on Sept 1st in Moscow. Then ISU at WSU on Sat the 3rd. Will be a great weekend of football up in the Palouse area. Home of Mike Kramer. Try to make it up all.....

GO BENGALS...

bill_idaflls said:
Just returned from the Kramer Road Show in Idaho Falls. What a great kick-off to a new era of Bengal Football. His emphasis on academics started the discussion and was the foundation of everything else that he said. There were handouts on the recruiting class and a video presentation from game-film on recruits. He spoke spontaneously without notes, using players' names, family member names, statistics from the recruit's past playing time, hometown names, and humorous side-bars of info about recruiting and school visits. That impressed me more than anything else: he knows each player and family members by name. He needed no memory-prompts.

Coach K has that ability to make you believe without question. When he said "Our goal is to complete 400 passes in a season", you believe him. When he said, "On September 3, our players will be Pac 10 quality players", you believe him. When he said, "Our first game is Washington State and we will beat them", you believe him. When he said, "We will wear out the End Zone on the new turf", it makes you want to re-check the manufacturer's warranty before it is installed. And when he said, "On Home Game Weekends, the Tail Gate Party begins Thursday night", it makes you want to start packing your Grill and start looking for recipes.

Get ready Bengal fans. It's going to be a fun year!
I like what I hear. The "CEO" is doing a great job. I like, I mean really like what he is saying!

Kramer spoke in Twin Falls tonight as well, and he said that in the next few years ISU should have the best offensive production we've seen since the Kragthorpe years. And he said that having an exciting, fast-paced spread formation offense would be a great thing to use in our dome. He said that there was a lot more emphasis on recruiting offensive players this year, but our defense still needs help as well because our D only had 18 three and out's for all of last season. And in his opinion, A.J. Storms wasn't the best linebacker we had last season, but he felt that Basim Hudeen was. He said that some schools recruited Fruitland's Tyler Graves as a tight end and he did some great things there in in HS career, but he said we'll use him on the defensive line because we won't be using tight ends in our offense next season. In my opinion I think we've already got some decent tight ends on our roster so we'll have to find a place for them somewhere. Also, he said if there's enough interest then he'd like to come to Twin Falls to speak with fans and boosters on a regular basis as well.

I talked with offensive coordinator Don Bailey afterwards and he agreed with me there were some pretty good high school running backs in the state like Jordan Deck of Rocky Mountain, Zach Keiser of Coeur d'Alene, Mike Kirby of Centennial, and Hunter Griffith of Bishop Kelly. But the staff couldn't offer any of them a scholarship because we don't need any running backs this year because the emphasis was in bringing in a lot more wide receivers to run the spread formation. But probably next year they'll bring in a few. And they needed to bring in a few more quarterbacks because we only had Kyle Morris returning. And he said that Rocky Mountain's Levi Altringer didn't make any all-state teams but the staff saw a lot of potential in him and they expect great things from him.

boisebengal....what was the turnout in twin?....the event in Pocatello probably had 125 to a few more...i heard idaho falls was around 25 and i'm curious on twin.......solely for the reason of "setting a floor".....'cause i'm betting a year from now...the attendance will be doubled at every location due to the success we ARE going to see THIS coming fall....and maybe up three times the number the year after that...........i went to the pocatello event...and as i said in a earlier post...kramer said "look around and remember the number ....for in a few years when we have a 1000 people to the pocatello event...we will say 'where were you when we started this?' "...........HOP ON FOLKS....THIS IS going to be a GREAT RIDE!!!

There were only about 15 people in attendance at the T.F. gathering, including Corky Federico, who played along with Gino Mariani in the mid-80s. And Jon Van Vliet's dad was there as well. Yeah Cub, I'll be glad to see you there tonight. You'll like Kramer, he's a very personable guy.

spudbowl said:
Is he serious about not giving a scholarship to a punter?

YES....he was serious. He does not like to punt (so punters to him ???) and he said.." FIELD POSITION???? I WANT TO OUT SCORE YOU!!" He did say when a KICKER/ be it FG etc.. when they win a starting job as a kicker.. then they will receive a Scholy!!

That is what he said (Paraphrased) at the I.F. luncheon.

What Kramer doesn't seem to get is that, an offense cant possible score EVERYTIME. No matter how good they are. And maybe then, when he has to flip the field and play field position, he'd wished he put some money into the punter position. No punter who's any good is going to play for free.

MSU won with a QB doing the kicking. Weird style at that. Why start to second guess him now? I won't. I trust in his decision making.

Lulay was fairly effective with his rugby punt. I always think that a good punter (and ISU has had many over the years) is a good weapon especially in the dome in the field position game. I liked the joke about never having to punt.

There is still so much to prove and it will take some time to rebuild to a championship level. But the task that the CEO is facing doesn't seem as big as it was made to seem over the last few years. Talk about taking the bull by the horns and just making stuff happen. Kramer is rallying the troops like never seen around the Bengals. That is leadership. Holding all aspects of the program accountable. Leadership! The vision is in place and being actively implemented. What a breath of very fresh air.

OLD#74 said:
spudbowl said:
Is he serious about not giving a scholarship to a punter?

YES....he was serious. He does not like to punt (so punters to him ???) and he said.." FIELD POSITION???? I WANT TO OUT SCORE YOU!!" He did say when a KICKER/ be it FG etc.. when they win a starting job as a kicker.. then they will receive a Scholy!!

That is what he said (Paraphrased) at the I.F. luncheon.

I thought he was joking, tonight I learned he was not.

i really don't think the era of great punters has ended......just getting to know kramer.....my bet is he'll get them....by either his motivational abilities..."you'll get to kick indoors"..."on new turf"..."best facility in the country to showcase your skills"...."look on the wall of the previous names....the NFL scouts do come here AND they will find you", etc......and/or he will look for ones that are smart enough to get academic scholarships...saving him one....plus in state.....lots of angles....he'll just be creative as he can be ...now with the limited scholarships....and even later when he could save one of 63.........

Latest posts

Back