• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Great Season - Best Of Luck to ISU

PBP said:
MVEN:

First off thanks for taking the time to compare schedules. Your comments are very persuasive in that regard. The only thing I'd disagree with is the contention that the Missouri Valley is the best FCS conference. I don't automatically agree with that, I think the Big Sky is as good, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if I ever said ISU's schedule was better, that could be inferred I guess, but I thought it was comparable to Montana's especially with the fact that both schools had in my judgment, one quality win each.

The main difference obviously was the lack of a seventh FBS / FCS win, no question about that....that plus, as my partner on the broadcasts pointed out, "reputation" among the weekly poll voters.

Personally I think you could make a strong case that four teams from the Big Sky deserved to go especially when you look at some of the other choices like Sam Houston and S.F. Austin...as has been pointed out.

Regarding the other areas you got into to, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Money makes the world go round....that's the way it is and that has a practical impact on everything in my opinion.

Brad, thanks for pointing out the ratings system numbers.

PBP

I do think the Big Sky is better than a lot of people give it credit for, but it's hard to argue with the MVFC's non-conference record (23-1 against FCS opponents). The Big Sky also had an unusual amount of parity this year that hurt the top teams' ability to rack up gaudy win totals. There weren't really any gimmes in conference play this season, which is unusual. Even last place UC Davis was dangerous the second half of the season.

I personally think Idaho State was a little bit better team than SFA or Indiana State, but I'm not shocked those two got in ahead of the Bengals. After some murkiness last year, this year's selection committee reinforced the paramount importance of the 7 DI win rule. I can't fault Idaho State's scheduling since I'm sure playoffs weren't much of a consideration when the athletic department picked the teams. However, it is a bit odd that ISU hasn't played a single FCS team out of conference since 2008.

mvem said:
PBP said:
MVEN:

First off thanks for taking the time to compare schedules. Your comments are very persuasive in that regard. The only thing I'd disagree with is the contention that the Missouri Valley is the best FCS conference. I don't automatically agree with that, I think the Big Sky is as good, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if I ever said ISU's schedule was better, that could be inferred I guess, but I thought it was comparable to Montana's especially with the fact that both schools had in my judgment, one quality win each.

The main difference obviously was the lack of a seventh FBS / FCS win, no question about that....that plus, as my partner on the broadcasts pointed out, "reputation" among the weekly poll voters.

Personally I think you could make a strong case that four teams from the Big Sky deserved to go especially when you look at some of the other choices like Sam Houston and S.F. Austin...as has been pointed out.

Regarding the other areas you got into to, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Money makes the world go round....that's the way it is and that has a practical impact on everything in my opinion.

Brad, thanks for pointing out the ratings system numbers.

PBP

I do think the Big Sky is better than a lot of people give it credit for, but it's hard to argue with the MVFC's non-conference record (23-1 against FCS opponents). The Big Sky also had an unusual amount of parity this year that hurt the top teams' ability to rack up gaudy win totals. There weren't really any gimmes in conference play this season, which is unusual. Even last place UC Davis was dangerous the second half of the season.

I personally think Idaho State was a little bit better team than SFA or Indiana State, but I'm not shocked those two got in ahead of the Bengals. After some murkiness last year, this year's selection committee reinforced the paramount importance of the 7 DI win rule. I can't fault Idaho State's scheduling since I'm sure playoffs weren't much of a consideration when the athletic department picked the teams. However, it is a bit odd that ISU hasn't played a single FCS team out of conference since 2008.

There is no "rule" regarding 7 D-1 wins. In fact the NCAA guidance says teams "may be penalized for not having 6 d-1 wins." The guidance also says the committee can use the SRS as a tool, but the committee obviously chose to ignore that tool, which placed ISU ahead of both Montana and Montana State. In short, the committee chose to emphasize a suggestion that more D1 wins is important, and de-emphasize its own rating system.
Nothing strange about not playing any non-conference FCS schools. The few nonconference FCS schools in the region have joined the Big Sky. Because ISU has to play two money games on the road, the only way to guarantee five home games during 11 game seasons is one-and-dones with D2 schools who don't require return games. It sounds like BYU may buy us out of next year's game, which may open the door for an FCS nonconference game next year.

PBP said:
Hiline:

Montana has great fans, the reality is also that when in doubt you follow the first rule in life..."follow the money..."

Montana went 8-4 overall, lost to a bad FBS school (Wyoming) and went 6-2 in conference play with one quality win (Montana State). ISU went 8-4, lost to a pair of FBS schools that are both going to a bowl game, and went 6-2 in conference play (both losses by eight points combined on the road) with one quality win (Cal Poly).

I'm saying that if you think the NCAA didn't factor in Montana's bid to host a first round game (reported to be in the 300-400 hundred thousand dollar range) compared to ISU's or anyone else's you are being extremely naïve. No other FCS school in the country can match the money submitted by Montana and Montana State.

When those schools are "borderline" entries (as UM was this year) that makes a major difference.

That's reality, not sour grapes...just facts. It's a business after all.

Also on a personal note I didn't go to ISU or any school in the Big Sky. I went to college at an SEC school so I'm looking at this situation pretty objectively (given that I did help broadcast ISU football for the first time this year)

PBP

Hey PBP - your SEC just tanked and I'm looking at it objectively too. Couldn't have ended better!!! SEC who? Can you say "Overrated"? Go Griz!! Go Ducks!!!

Montana was deserving as they were ranked all season and had enough D1 wins to qualify for the playoffs. I do like the 2015 schedule by playing EWU, Montana State, and Montana at Holt Arena.

It is great to finally be able to look forward to playing the perennial powers in The Holt. Hopefully we can continue the home field advantage next year.

Latest posts

Back