• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Home Attendance

MLEagle

Wondering what the issue is for home game attendance? We had steady growth in home game attendance from 2010 through 2017 where we hit the high water mark of 10,000+ average. 2018 and 2019 showed drops, and now we have 4,500 and 7,900 for our first 2 games. Not sure if it is ticket prices, COVID, or what? I was shocked that we didn’t even have a sellout for Montana. What can or should be done to boost attendance again?

7900 for Montana was obviously a misprint. I think that came from espn seeing 9X% attendance for a 8600 seat stadium. I’d guess it was closer to 11k.

FormerEag said:
7900 for Montana was obviously a misprint. I think that came from espn seeing 9X% attendance for a 8600 seat stadium. I’d guess it was closer to 11k.

It's not a misprint. That was Eastern's official attendance announcement. The only thing I can think is that they've found some weird way of counting attendance. The AD announced a sellout the week of the game, clearly had a big crowd, but the official attendance was under 8,000.

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Select Sport = Football
Select Division = FCS
Misc Reports = Attendance
Click Conference to sort

tenor.gif

I don’t know how they’re counting attendance…maybe it’s only tickets sold as opposed to ticket sold + student walk ups.

Covid’s also probably keeping folks away.

People have consistently stopped showing up. Pricing is part, COVID is likely another part for whatever reason.

Student attendance has not only been down but in a real head scratcher they’ve started limiting students. That one, is insanely stupid! 2,000 for the Montana game and 1,500 for the Idaho game. Those are the future alums and donors of the program and they’re being limited. For what reason? Fill the dang stadium.

Attendance: in earlier post mentioned several people I talked to said they tried to tickets for friends and it was sold out. Now, not sure if there were some in endzone or visitor side and declined those. Where I sit they are almost all season ticket holders and was surprised by how many were not there. When I bought season tickets, first day they were available, there weren't that many in the B,C,D and E sections and the inside of A and F. Personally I think covid is a big part and student attendance is plain weak. So, tickets are sold and people not using them for whatever reason and students need to step up. Basketball(having low numbers despite having a great product) has low attendance. I would make sure if you're an athlete at EWU all coaches should really push their players to attend any game in the off season and bring a friend...incentivize it (use your imagination).

R5npT.gif

Obzerver said:
Attendance: in earlier post mentioned several people I talked to said they tried to tickets for friends and it was sold out. Now, not sure if there were some in endzone or visitor side and declined those. Where I sit they are almost all season ticket holders and was surprised by how many were not there. When I bought season tickets, first day they were available, there weren't that many in the B,C,D and E sections and the inside of A and F. Personally I think covid is a big part and student attendance is plain weak. So, tickets are sold and people not using them for whatever reason and students need to step up. Basketball(having low numbers despite having a great product) has low attendance. I would make sure if you're an athlete at EWU all coaches should really push their players to attend any game in the off season and bring a friend...incentivize it (use your imagination).

R5npT.gif

No idea what's up. You watch a lot of teams and see packed stands. It's not like Covid has been a drag on attendance nationally this season whatsoever. Montana and Montana State seem to have no problems drawing big crowds. I saw UC Davis draw well for the Idaho game, but Weber didn't look very full last night. I have no idea what's causing this, but it needs to be rectified.

Ever the seat backs have a lot of empties. I believe these are all sold out so are generating revenue but why don't season ticket holders show up?

Single game tickets after fees for the Montana State game are $98 bucks. I bought them, but that prices a ton of people out. I understand the logic of trying gouge the away fans but not everyone has season tickets.

Family of four for $400 or watch on espn+ for $7. Easy choice for most people.

I hear ya EdubAlum, they did the same for Montana game. In days gone by UM/MSU use to buy our cheap season tickets just to make sure they got seats for the game if they were at EWU. Nowdays, EWU has increased ticket prices and has additional EAF fee for season tickets but I'm not too upset. It is what it is and EWU is looking at everyway to make money and save money...next years Oregon and Florida games will give a couple years breathing room, but won't do much for our playoff seeding. This is the year!

Obzerver said:
I hear ya EdubAlum, they did the same for Montana game. In days gone by UM/MSU use to buy our cheap season tickets just to make sure they got seats for the game if they were at EWU. Nowdays, EWU has increased ticket prices and has additional EAF fee for season tickets but I'm not too upset. It is what it is and EWU is looking at everyway to make money and save money...next years Oregon and Florida games will give a couple years breathing room, but won't do much for our playoff seeding. This is the year!

Totally agree. For reference I was able to purchase club level seats to a Ducks game for $125 (granted it was against Arizona, but still). At least there I didn't have to sit on a bench. I promise you more people would buy tickets to the game if they didn't have to sit in the endzone or the visitors side. I'd legit rather just watch from home.

EdubAlum said:
Single game tickets after fees for the Montana State game are $98 bucks. I bought them, but that prices a ton of people out. I understand the logic of trying gouge the away fans but not everyone has season tickets.

Family of four for $400 or watch on espn+ for $7. Easy choice for most people.

Just curious, what do you think the price for playoff tickets will be? Are the prices set by the university or the NCAA?

Just curious, what do you think the price for playoff tickets will be? Are the prices set by the university or the NCAA?
[/quote]

Seems to me they are regular price..maybe lower since all seats are up for grabs with season ticket holders getting first shot at their seats. Believe the NCAA gets a piece of the gate. They want bodies in the seats so they can experience late season perks of winter weather sports.

33191821068_138ffc77e3_k.jpg

Obzerver said:

Seems to me they are regular price..maybe lower since all seats are up for grabs with season ticket holders getting first shot at their seats. Believe the NCAA gets a piece of the gate. They want bodies in the seats so they can experience late season perks of winter weather sports.

33191821068_138ffc77e3_k.jpg

[/quote]
In the past, the NCAA has stated playoff tickets can not be priced any less than the lowest priced ticket during the year. Montana charges premium prices $65 for the Brawl and homecoming but there’s usually a game with a $27-35 ticket price in the package that they base the playoff ticket price on.

Obzerver said:

The best thing EWU can do is sell those empty seats. Bureaucrats look to save money, entrepreneurs look to create revenue. In years past there were billboards around town, what happened?

clawman said:
Obzerver said:

The best thing EWU can do is sell those empty seats. Bureaucrats look to save money, entrepreneurs look to create revenue. In years past there were billboards around town, what happened?

Eastern is struggling financially, that's what's happened. EWU peaked at around 14k students at the end of the Arevalo era. It was down to 12k going into 2019, and I don't know if there's been an official enrollment published since then... which would lead to me believe it dropped even further. That's a lot of empty desks, and a lot of tuition money off the table. This certainly isn't the fault of an athletics department which punches well above it's weight, but it is being affected by the enrollment problem. Coach Best took a voluntary pay cut to help stem the tide.

However, the crux of what you're saying is that seats should be filled, and I completely agree. Hell, sell them for $1 until everything is at capacity. But get the stadium full.

Somewhat off topic, but if you live in and around Cheney support the businesses that support Eastern and make sure they know that's why your doing business with them. Owl Pharmacy just won Eastern's small business support prize (it had a name, but I don't remember) so shop there. I don't spend a lot of time in Cheney, but I'll shop there every time I need something from now on. Know who donates to Eastern and support them.

I just remember the semifinal playoff game against Maine, the weather was great but they couldn't sell the place out and they gave away all kinds of free tickets to local area high schools.
Eastern has been well above average for the the last decade, makes me worry about what if they went on a 5 to 6 year strech of below .500 football.
Also didn't the school take a big financial hit at the 2019 game in Frisco getting the band and cheer sqaud to the game?

Latest posts

Back