• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

How does this years Soccer team Look

isunorth

Like football soccer is around the corner.
I noticed that Crosby Joyner wasnt on the roster anymore and we knew Brogan was out (knee) and there have been the usual graduation and people leaving. What does the coming year look like?

The schedule this year seems realitively lighter and more in line. It will be interesting to see how the coaches bring in the new faces because they will need them offensivly and defensively becasue in both cases last year for some reason both ends stats were at the lower end of the league.

I typically like to be extremely optimistic, but this is going to be a tough year. Last year, I felt the team had the talent to make a solid run at the conference title, despite being picked to finish sixth out of eight teams. By the end of the season, the Bengals were dead last. It was a frustrating season of injuries, emotions and other challenges, and the team never did seem to gel. It felt like Coach Gibson was working to find the right combination of players on the field, and never did see what see was looking for.

This year, it looks like we are only returning 13 starters, the least of any team in the conference. We will have to rely heavily on our freshman class, and we have had much better recruiting years than this current incoming class. My guess is that when the Big Sky rankings come out in a week or two, you will see Idaho State ranked to come in seventh or eighth in the conference. My guess at the rankings would be: 1-NAU; 2-Weber; 3-SacSt; 4-PSU; 5-EWU; 6-Mont; 7-ISU; and 8-NColo.

The good news is that the 13 returning players are all solid contributors with extensive playing time. It will probably be to the team’s advantage that little is expected of them. Coach Gibson’s first year gave her a team nobody expected to win, and they took both the regular season title as well as the tournament championship.

How will this team shape up? I think the team will be built around Anna Marie Hofstetter. Hofstetter is an intelligent player, a natural team leader and one of the best midfielders in the conference. She sees the field well and has amazing ball control. I see Ashley Askwig as the other central midfielder, and with more playing time, I believe her confidence will increase and you will see her play with Quigley-like aggressiveness on the field.

Karissa Henage is a first-team all-conference defender who will direct the defense and who stops most attacks before they have the chance to develop. She will be joined by Christina Beseris, a solid defender with strong physical presence. Bailey Williams will most likely fill the goal. Last year, as a freshman, she earned an honorable mention behind two outstanding veteran goalkeepers from Weber and Portland State. Kat Ford has always looked great on the field and could easily fill the starting role if Williams does not work out.

Both Alex Hansen and Taylor Powell show great promise at forward. Powell has remarkable speed and can be a real threat when she is on her game. Hansen has great talent and her year of experience should help her stay onside and avoid typical freshman errors. I was not aware that Benecia Brogan was having knee problems. If so, she will be greatly missed. She showed flashes of brilliance last year.

The other four returning starters will fill in the wings. All of them have the ability to play either defensive wing or midfield. Lauren Hough has been a tenacious defensive wing for the last two years, and Megan Stainbrook played the position last year with the solidness of a veteran player. However, Kacey Ball is also an effective, experienced defensive wing, which means Coach may move Hough or Stainbrook up on the attack. Lauren Ryan has the ability to score from the wing, but we may see her also play the forward position.

I also believe that Becky Hogan will provide a great boost to the team. She will push the players hard in their training and will be a great support to Coach Gibson. Gibson and Hogan both have great soccer minds, excellent experience and may be the most talented duo in the conference.

I honestly believe this core of returning players is as strong as any in the conference. If they train hard and work together, they may well surprise everyone and challenge for the conference title. Only one more week until practices officially open and only three weeks until we have a chance to see them on the field. I can’t wait!

Wow!!! I was excited to see our announced acquisition of Ashley Jones. Our gain is BYU's loss as she had earlier announced her intention to play for the Cougs. (I imagine that our acquisition of Hogan had something to do with her decision.) I am certain she will have a much more enjoyable career with the Bengals as she will get an early freshman season start and play an integral role on the team while BYU has the reputation of leaving their talent on the bench for a year or two. Plus, both Gibson and Hogan are far better coaches than Rockwood. (I don't think BYU would ever have a chance at anything with Rockwood if it was not for BYU's recruiting advantages.) Jones has "Freshman of the Year" potential in the Big Sky and should be an immediate force at midfield with Hoffstetter, plus it will allow Gibson to take advantage of a talented Askwig in the offense (either at forward or wing.) Along with the talent we already have and couple of other potentially strong freshmen, ISU just made a big step toward moving back in position to becoming a Big Sky power. (Plus, the addition of Jones will make recruiting a bit easier next year. It is great to see ISU pulling some of the real talent away from Utah as it has in past years.)

Perdicitons for 2009
2009- 5-7-4, 2-4-1
2008- 3-12-4, 1-5-1
2007-7-5-6, 2-2-3
This is not counting the exhibition game. The number of games have been reduced to 16 this year so less injuries hopefully and the travel has been reduced.

New Mexico - Tie due to travel and the freshmen jitters
New Mexico State -Win they are a new team.
S Utah - Win even though its in Utah
Maryland - Tie, with the maryland team being more physical the altitude and travel will even the field
Idaho - Loss- recruiting Top Freshmen (SO Cal) and program is there and given last years results ISU
BSU Loss- picked 4th in the WAC and program is getting stronger
Wyoming - Tie Wyoming is a key match up could go to win or loss
UVU - Win its at home and place to make a statement for the Utah Players
Utah State - Loss revenge for last years OT loss and its in Logan- USU is ranked #1 in WAC
Conference
Montana - tie - Montana returning 5 senior and Grace Harris as Keeper -its in Pocatello on a narrower field
E Wasington - Win - because we should
NAU - Loss - based on their results last year and return players
N Colorado - Win - they are not returning a good chunk of players and play Weber State 2 days before
Portland State - Loss - away game and Portand has a stronger team
Sac State - Loss - it will be in Sac were we wont have the altitude advantage - and Sac is strong
Weber State - Loss - even though it is home Iam giving the edge to Weber

This will be an improvement over last year but there is very little room for error or injuries especially in key positions.
Thoughts?

Fun analysis, ISUNorth.

I would love to predict us going 16-0-0 this season, and heck, while I’m at it, I may as well predict we go all the way in the NCAAs. As much as I love this team, this is far, far from reality. But heck, we may as well dream.

Realistically, we should consider a couple of things. First, the schedule this year is incredibly weak compared to the last two years. Two years ago, we played five teams that were ranked among the top 15 in the west: Arizona State, Cal State Fullerton, Utah, Washington State and Gonzaga, and recorded three ties and two one-goal losses, one in double overtime. Last year we faced BYU and San Diego (who both finished in the top 20 nationally,) Colorado College (who was regionally ranked in the top 15,) and perennially tough Pepperdine and Gonzaga. This year, the only team we are playing who cracked the top 100 last year is New Mexico. This years overall record should be significantly better than last year’s disaster.

To our disadvantage, we have a team decimated with attrition and injuries, and coming off a poor showing last year. Right now, we have more healthy freshman available for the field than veterans. Based on this alone, if I did not know the potential of these players, I would pick ISU dead last in the conference, which we may well see the coaches do later this week. Of course, this may work to our advantage as some teams may underestimate us.

What makes this exercise extremely difficult is that we have no idea how the freshman class will pan out. If they jump in at a dead run, we could far surpass my expectations. If they have a hard time adapting to college play, this will be a long, painful season. Plus, soccer is a crazy sport full of weird breaks… very unpredictable.

Here is what I would consider a reasonable prediction (maybe optimistically reasonable) for the coming season. I, too, will leave out the exhibition game, which should be a cakewalk for the Bengals.

New Mexico – tough start for ISU. Our toughest opponent of the year and we meet them with virtually no game experience for over half the team. 0-1-0.

New Mexico State - a first year team with more freshmen than ISU. We should walk away with a win on the road. 1-1-0

SUU – This team is getting better every year and we missed playing them last year. This team still struggles recruiting. Should be another road win. 2-1-0

Maine - Maine will have a tough road trip and a difficult time at altitude. ISU should be starting to gel by this game and will earn a win in their home opener. 3-1-0

Idaho – Back on the road at a neutral site. ISU needs to pay back Idaho for last year. ISU was the better team but got a couple of bad breaks. (We were their only win on the year for the Vandals.) The Bengals will play this one tough, as a shot at the Governor’s Cup may be their strongest bet for glory this year. ISU wins by two goals. 4-1-0

Boise State – Here are two teams that are evenly matched. We handled them in the spring (two years running) and have won three of four over the past two years (including spring.) Boise has the home field advantage, ISU is fighting for in state respect. Too close to call. 4-1-1 (But beating the Broncos and winning the Governor’s Cup is a very do-able goal for the Bengals.)

Wyoming – This will be an incredibly tough game on the road. We eked out a tie against them in Pocatello last year, and this is a team that may have a shot at the Mountain West. They play physical and they play mean. Plus, these are about the most abusive coaches and fans in the west. Close call, but I give the edge to Wyoming. 4-2-1.

UVU – This is an up and coming Utah team that has improved incredibly over the last two years. I felt they gave us almost as good a game on the road last year as BYU did that same weekend. We may have a home field advantage, but I am not sure we can win this one. I call a tie. 4-2-2

USU – Utah State will be out for blood against ISU after losing to us last year. These two teams are very evenly matched. Both teams will threaten, but defense will prevail. Mark this one as a tie. 4-2-3

Montana - We get to play Montana at home this year, and hopefully in better weather than last. This team has five very talented returning players. This is our conference opener and the team should be solid by now and have some confidence with a winning record. ISU takes a narrow win. 5-2-3

EWU – This team has given ISU troubles over the past two years. It will a be tough road game and they have some strong returning talent. ISU could win this one, but I need to throw in a tie or two, because ISU is so good at producing ties. 5-2-4

Northern Arizona - This will be one of the toughest two teams in the conference this year. After winning the conference championship, they return nine of eleven starters, and eight of those received all conference honors. ISU only lost by one goal last year, but almost the entire game was played on the ISU defensive end of the field, and only a remarkable defense kept this one from being a blowout. Luckily, we get to play them at home, but I do not think that will be a big enough of boost to get us past them. 5-3-4

Northern Colorado. – Last year was a complete fluke. N Colo launched five shots on goal in the first half, and scored on every one. Most (if not all) of the shots were stoppable and it looked like we did not even have a player in goal. I think either Bailey Williams or Kat Ford would have left the first half unscathed instead of down 5-0. (Kat Ford got through the second half only giving up one goal for a team that was demoralized. This year, all ISU. 6-3-4

Portland State – We have gone longer without a win against PSU than any other team in the Big Sky. This year, Portland State returns one conference first team player, three conference second team players, and two honorable mentions: a solid core to build a team around. This a fun field to play in – a professional baseball stadium in downtown Portland. But the field has a fast artificial turf that ISU will be totally unfamiliar with. This game will be ugly, and I don’t think we will walk away with the win. 6-4-4

Sac State – Sac St is always tough, but they lost some real talent this last year. We beat them at home last year and tied them the last time in Sacramento. I think we are headed for a defensive battle and another tie game. 6-4-5

Weber State – Although Weber graduated more talent than any team in the conference, they have had a fantastic recruiting year – including adding a transfer student from Santa Clara that was in the top five nationally as a senior and a transfer from the University of Utah who will add tremendous depth to the defense or mid-field. I think Weber may claim wins this year against the likes of BYU, Oregon and Washington State. We may see between either Weber or NAU, the first time ever that a Big Sky Team cracks the top 15 in the west. We play them at home, but I do not think we can match up. 6-5-5

Note: this scenario would give ISU a 2-3-2 record in the conference, which I think will squeak them into the Big Sky Tournament. This is assuming the team meshes well and keeps a positive attitude. If they make the tournament, it would be a near impossible road to make the NCAAs, but anyone can win two games, so anything is possible.

Thanks, ISU North. This was a fun exercise. It would be good to hear what some of the other fans think. This should be a fun and exciting season, and I am hoping we turn our luck around. However, this is really a building season. If we can make serious improvement, we will be in great shape going into 2010, as we have a huge new class of recruits who will get lots of experience, and we will only loose one player next year who has been a consistent starter over the past three years.

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!

Stranegly 25% of the girls regular season is now complete. The record sits at 2-2-0, with 2 of the most important games coming up this weekend against Boise State and Idaho. First as the coach said the team is young and that is again an issue. There doesnt seem to be the upper classmen carrying the day (Hofs done nice) but it really the younger end and the freshmen Jones that has been the spark. Lets see how this weekend work outs Idaho itself is young but have some interesting recruits. If the defense brings a good game then there is an opportunity for a win or at leats a tie. Boise is a different matter last year they went 11-8-2 and 3-3-1 in the WAC they are looking higher this year. Again the defense cannot in Gibson words "give up soft goals" and the offensive needs to strike fast if that happens then we may get a great result they are capable and it is soccer.

I do not I agree with Coach Gibson that the team’s problem is “giving up soft goals,” or as she told the Journal, “I’m disappointed in my backs for ball-watching. If they are watching the game, they may as well be in the stands. You have got to mark up. You have got to engage.”

Sunday’s game was typical of so many games over the past two years. Number 1: no matter what the defense does, it is difficult to win when your team cannot score. Number 2: if the team sits back and lets their opponent control the flow of the game, you have set yourself up for failure. Number 3: both goals (as is the case of most goals ISU has given up over the past two years) have come with 6-8 Bengals gathered inside the box around the goal (plus 5-7 opponents.) Once you get that many players in the box, I do not see how you can blame the back line. They are all marking a player and sooner or later, someone will break free and score.

It reminds me of the NAU game last year. The Bengal defensive backs and keeper played one of the most brilliant games in ISU soccer history. Unfortunately, the ISU offense never mounted any pressure and more than 75% of the game was played on the ISU half, much right in front of the goal. Bailey Williams recorded 10 saves in goal, Karissa Henage added another on the field, and ISU held the eventual conference champs scoreless for 79 minutes. With just 11 minutes left in the game, a freshman defensive back let her player slip past her and put in a goal. Coach Gibson laid the loss at the feet of the freshman, while I think it was apparent that the loss came not from one freshman defensive error, but rather from the hundreds of offensive errors and lack of intensity that failed to mount any consistent offensive pressure an the Lumberjacks.

Sunday was the same issue. The offense played an uninspired game for the first 80 minutes. During that period of time, ISU was out played with 11 shots by Maine to only three very ineffective long balls by AnnaMarie Hofstetter. Maine was swarming in front of the ISU goal. Over the last 10 minutes, ISU came alive and put up 5 shots. Notice that the ISU defense was not even noticeable during this period. The focus was on attacking and controlling the game, not on packing in the defense around the goal.

The key to ISU success has little to nothing to do with ISU not giving up soft goals. The key is getting the offense to mount consistent pressure with smart passing and aggressive play.

By the way, Hofstetter hit two milestones over the past weekend. First, her assist to Ashley Jones ties her for first place in career assists for the Big Sky; a record she will surely own by the end of the season with 12 games left. Second, she has now made over 100 consecutive shots with scoring a goal. (She scored her first and only collegiate goal on her fourth shot as a freshman, and has gone scoreless since.) She was robbed of the chance to avoid this milestone when the SUU statistician ruled that the ball Hofstetter bounced off a defender and into the net was an “own goal.” Only seven other Bengals have recorded more than 100 shots in a career, and all have goals in the double figures. I am not sure what this means. Perhaps Hof should keep shooting and we expect her to break the jinx, or perhaps we should encourage her to focus on what she seems to do best: distribute the ball intelligently to her offense and let them take the shots. The rest of the team averages about one goal for every 10 shots taken. If Hof could finish her career with that average, we would probably see 15 goals out of her this season, but I am sure that is just wishful thinking.

In the meantime, let’s hope the Bengals get their act together and bring back the Governor’s Cup this weekend.

The Governors Cup is past again this year but the score seemed close and the coach seems upbeat by her comments in the press. Still it seems offensively we still struggle. I was in Tempe this weekend and caught the football game (enough said) and on Sunday went to the ASU vs Virgina soccer game, very fast and very physical (hot too).
So from a perdiciton point Ihad us at this point as 2-2-2 but we sit at 2-4-0
Wyoming - I had original had as a tie but given Wyoming had strong showings vs U Denver , U Colorado and tied Utah State I give the edge to Wyoming
UVU - because it is at home Iam staying with a Win
Utah State wants revenge for last year
This would leave the team at the half with 3-6-0. The coach needs to find away to bring the offense forward and I would agree with Fanatics statement about the defense, we need offense.

The team has come out of the non conference part of the season with a winning record. No ties as has been the issue from some recent years.The team stands 5-4-0 with an impressive wins over Wyoming and Utah State.
I had the team for the year at -5-7-4, with the team already at 5-4-0 the future looks bright
for conference
Montana - tie - Montana returning 5 senior and Grace Harris as Keeper -its in Pocatello on a narrower field
could be a win though
E Wasington - Win - because we should better
NAU - Tie - based on their results last year and return players (they havent looked good this year)
N Colorado - Win - they are not returning a good chunk of players and play Weber State 2 days before
Portland State - Loss - away game and Portand has a stronger team too much speed
Sac State - Loss - it will be in Sac - Sac beat a ranked team CAL
Weber State - Loss - even though it is home Iam giving the edge to Weber

This would be a 7-7-4
Which is significantly better than last year
BSC tournament will have Weber, Portland State, Sac State with the 4th team to come from ISU, Montana
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back