• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

How good is Blum?

biobengal

What do you folks thing, can Blum get it done for ISU? I'm guessing most folks don't know what to expect, Blum hasn't played much, even while at JC. I just hope he's half as good as this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8xMPsbgcw

I think the success of the QB will have a ton to do with how good the running game is. Blum doesn't read defenses well, but he can throw the ball a mile. Blum will also complete only 50% of his passes, but the deep ball will open things up a bit. When he throws the ball deep, I think he tosses it as good as anyone in the BSC. If he learns the game and becomes more accurate, I think he can be serviceable.

Hill on the other hand, knows where to go but lacks some zip. He also cannot throw the ball as deep as Blum and has a tendency to try to force things that aren't always there. Hill needs a good running game to be successful, so the defense is forced to honor the play action. Hill will complete passes at a higher rate, but he tends to check down and cannot throw the medium and long out routes. I think that Hill is every bit as good as Blum at this point.

I feel bad for both of these QB's. Hill did the best that he could and he did not have a running game and had to play from way behind most of the time. Now, this year, Blum will be the one that shoulders the blame for the losses and at some point I expect ISU will turn to Hill to get the team on track. If the defense plays better the offense and the QB's will look better. I think the defense will be better this year, but I doubt that they will hold opponents under 40 points a game. The running game will be abandoned and both QB's will appear to be worse than they are.

ISU simply needs to run the ball as much as they pass and control TOP.

That is my two cents.

On the pass thing, you forgot to mention this:

Pass downfield more. Short, mid, long, whatever. JUST AVOID THE DAMN SCREEN PASSES!

Use the TE's more too.

As far as the QB thing goes, I think Russell will be very good if we pass downfield on 10-15 yard strikes; you know, picking apart the defense. Kyle however gets the edge for having more moxie and athleticism.

This is the problem with having 2 good QB's that are only separated by what, a year? (If that). I say that because it doesn't leave a lot of room to figure out how you're going to work the depth chart. The people factor of the game comes in. You honestly like both guys and both are two very hard workers. The problem is is that both happen to be two sides of one coin. One can throw better, one has more accuracy.

My solution is to take the guy with the moxie and the athleticism because you can't teach that (at least, you can't coach that if you're coaching 60-70 other guys). You CAN teach him the mechanics of passing and edumacate him in the film room.

However this is merely speculation. It's up to the coaches, players and that wonderful X-Factor that comes with college football

Latest posts

Back