• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

I just don't get it

Why is the Athletics Dept. so willing to schedule BSU? What do we get from this game? Not much money. Not much positive exposure. We do get Pocatello BSU fans gloating in our faces.

Please if there is any positive to playing BSU in 2015, please explain it to me.

I'm assuming BSU will pay Idaho State several hundred thousand dollars for the privilege. And if it makes you feel any better, Ralph, know that BSU fans aren't fond of this matchup either.

http://www.isubengals.com/news/2014/1/2/FB_0102144416.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a big supporter of playing Bozo either, but if there's a positive, it's that ISU could net more $$ from this game than a game against the likes of Washington. Bus $ < Flight $

BSU has stepped up their guarantee amount. They paid FCS Tennessee-Martin $425,000 this past season. To compare, ISU received $450,000 from Washington. Weber State received $400,000 from Utah. EWU received $450,000 from Oregon State.

Not sure what ISU is receiving, but I would guess they are making an amount which is competitive to what Pac-12 or other large FBS are paying.

I hope you're right on the monetary gains, JJB.

I still don't get why we want to get beat-up by a team in our back yard? Especially considering the causal fan who will not understand why we get beat as badly as we will, and will point to that game as a reason for not supporting the Bengals, or their contention that we are not getting better.

Some have called our big money games (assuming BSU will even qualify as "big money") prostitution. While I understand why we have to go play FBS schools for funding purposes, I don't understand the logic in prostituting ourselves on the corner right down from our own house, where we live. If you have to be a prostitute, you don't stay in your neighborhood, you go to the bad part of town that everyone ignores -- so no one will notice you there, or what you're doing. And, hey, that's where the real money is anyway. If we're going to play money games, lets go back to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kentucky, ect. where we make the 100 Gs far, far away from our own neighborhood.

Ralph:

I suspect as others have mentioned that part of the appeal is that you don't have to charter a jet or pay a lot of money for meals / hotel, you can actually keep more of what you have earned because the expenses of going to Boise are far less than having to go to Norman, Athens or Lexington.

As far as the point about fans not supporting the team because of a potentially bad loss to BSU, I think the majority of fans even casual ones, understand the reality of sports today. It's fueled by money, you've got to have it to pay for the other non money making sports at the school. This is the only way to really get that big money. I don't think fans will have a problem with this.

PBP

I don't think this game will be the kind of rout that some think it will be. ISU's been slowly, steadily improving since Kramer took over, and by 2015 we should be much better. At Kramer's age, I seriously doubt he'll go anywhere else. And this year the Broncos weren't near as good as they were in past years, and this year's recruiting class has already been affected greatly with Petersen's departure. Who knows what kind of job Brian Harsin will do, but I guarantee that he's no Chris Petersen.

We all know we have to play 2 money games every season and play 2 division II games every season. It is better to play in our own backyard for the money games in my opinion as it could lead to signing of potential recruits.

I don't get it either. If I recall, BS University paid less all for the privelege of getting whipped. Not to mention the gloating for the TV area fans, lived there when ISU played BSU in Allen's last year.... not much fun to be had, especially with all the off field issues before the game.

Lose. Lose. Lose situation, IMO.

...i didn't see where the "election booth" was located....BUT i want to cast my ballot also..... i don't get it either....for EVERY reason already listed...it's a lose...lose....lose.....lose....lose....lose.....lose...lose.....situation for ISU..... :twocents:

What? You don't think ISU will get fair and positive press from the Boise media for this game?

h9le.jpg

gl9e.jpg

Getting stomped by BSU will make those two "sure" victories over Chadron State and Simon Fraser this fall look that much sweeter. Just wondering if ISU has lost to a Canadian team before?

I wouldn't put Chadron in the "guaranteed" column -- they are coming off an 8-3 season and have a lot of talent back. They will test Idaho State.

Not so fast my friend...Chadron State is not a gimmie. BTW, Montana State beat Colorado and went to the 2nd round of the playoffs that same season.

Chadron State upsets Montana State
BY KEN HAMBLETON / Lincoln Journal Star

Chadron State head coach Bill O’Boyle made it clear when asked if he wanted to play Colorado after his team beat the team that beat the Buffs a week ago.

“No. Get us 60 more scholarships and maybe,” he said after Chadron State stunned Montana State, 35-24, in Bozeman, Mont., a week after Montana State upset Colorado.

“We’ve got Wayne State next week and that’s on our minds right now.”

O’Boyle added that his team was inspired.

“I think Montana State was still living that big upset and all the national attention and thought we might lay down and we played like we had nothing to lose,” he said.

The upset is genuine. NCAA Div. II Chadron State is allowed 24 scholarships by the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. The Div. I-AA MSU Bobcats (with 63 scholarships) upset Colorado (which has 85 scholarships) 19-10 in Boulder.

Chadron State back Danny Woodhead ran for 215 yards and two touchdowns for the Eagles (2-0), and Joe McLain passed for a touchdown and ran for another. Chadron rolled up 359 yards of total offense. Colorado managed 216 yards on Montana State.

“We had a quarter of our team with a virus this week, and our free safety, Paul Schweger, was throwing up all day Friday,” said O’Boyle. “But he led us in tackles and got an interception today. We had a lot of kids buckle it up and go hard.”

Montana State (1-1) got within 14-10 after a 35-yard field goal by Jeff Hastings in the first quarter and an 11-yard run by Aaron Mason with 12:22 left in the half.

Chadron answered less than two minutes later with a 50-yard TD pass from McLain to Bryce Jarzynka to take a 21-10 lead.

Woodhead’s second score, a 1-yard run, put the Eagles up 28-10 with just under four minutes left in the half. Chadron’s drive was extended when MSU was called for roughing the punter at the Chadron State 30.

“No matter how you write this thing, this game was a slap in the face,” MSU coach Mike Kramer said.

Montana State received a $275,000 guarantee to play at Colorado last week. Chadron State received $40,000 from MSU, which the school said it would use to help pay for its new uniforms

By the way, David Woodhead carried the ball 15 times, caught two passes and scored a TD yesterday for the Chargers in their win over Cincinnati.

ISU has always failed when it comes to scheduling.

Let me get this straight. ISU opens the season with back-to-back games with Utah AND Utah State, who managed to beat Weber State this past season by a combined score of 140-13? The same Weber who beat us 32-7. Then ISU comes home to face one of the stronger division 2 schools. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Seriously, who does the scheduling? Rather, who ATTEMPTS to schedule? Is it Tingey or Kramer?

Cub - what are you saying about Chadron State is not a gimmie? If the Bengals lose or win by a small margin in a close game to Chadron State it would be devastating for the ISU football program. The Bengals have to win by at least 17 points against Charon State. I think we will win by 30 plus points as we are experienced, have size, have speed, and have experienced coaches. No reason that I can think of not to finish in the middle or higher in the Big Sky in 2014.

I like this game a lot. I live in Boise so any chance to see my Bengals play is a good thing. I like it on the recruiting side as well. ISU had recruited the Boise area pretty heavily the past few years so it would be nice to give those kids a chance to play in front of their friends and family. Also showcase the fact that there is am Idaho university still recruiting Idaho kids.

lockanth said:
I like this game a lot. I live in Boise so any chance to see my Bengals play is a good thing. I like it on the recruiting side as well. ISU had recruited the Boise area pretty heavily the past few years so it would be nice to give those kids a chance to play in front of their friends and family. Also showcase the fact that there is am Idaho university still recruiting Idaho kids.

To each his own... remember to take off your blue and orange. :?

Latest posts

Back