• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

I just don't get it

Up, Kramer has said before that he won't play Idaho up in Moscow because they only pay about $125,000 or $150,000 -- something like that. And he's an Idaho alum. And therefore that's why the vast majority of Big Sky teams won't go up there and play them. EWU is the only Big Sky team that I can think of that's played them in the last few years, and Idaho can't beat them.

boisebengal - Maybe, Kramer should consider taking less money where the students, alumni, fans, and potential recruits in Idaho could go to the game. It would be a more competitive type of a game. If not, maybe University of Nevada at Reno or UNLV.

For those upset about this game being in the Bengals backyard, are you just as upset about the Utah state game? Isn't Logan close to Pocatello? Or is it because Boise State is an old rival.
On an unrelated note, i wanna see the Bengals try to do the globe of death against the broncos.

lockanth said:
For those upset about this game being in the Bengals backyard, are you just as upset about the Utah state game? Isn't Logan close to Pocatello? Or is it because Boise State is an old rival.
On an unrelated note, i wanna see the Bengals try to do the globe of death against the broncos.

This is a good question. I guess I would answer that I don't see a lot of USU t-shirts, flags, car decals, soda mugs and the like in Pocatello and at ISU, like I do BSU items which are all over town. Those who oppose this, do so, I believe because they think that a blow out loss to BSU just reconfirms to the Pocatello (and ISU) BSU fans that ISU football is not worth watching.

As for me, I have mixed feelings. Boise (and Logan) is a bus ride away and ISU can pocket more money. On the other hand, if BSU beats ISU badly, I have to listen to all my friends and family tell me how great BSU is and how bad ISU is. BSU and ISU was once a very intense rivalry. ISU did not win a lot of games but there were some very memorable ISU wins including those in 1981 and 1987 in Boise and 1992 and 1994 in Pocatello. In fact, the 1987 and 1994 games were two of the most exciting football games that I have ever seen (the 87 game I saw on TV, the 94 game I saw in person). Remember that BSU beat ISU badly in 2003 and that ISU team went on to win 8 games including a dramatic overtime win against Montana in Holt.

Finally, the globe of death was made illegal since there could be an illegal, I believe because a handout (forward pass) could be made in the globe without the officials seeing.

I like this game a lot. Personally, I am a BSU season ticket holder (since 1981), my wife and I attended BSU, and my kids attended BSU. But, I am from Eastern Idaho (Idaho Falls), I attended a few ISU games when I lived there, my niece was a point guard on the Women's Bengal Basketball team. I have a niece currently attending ISU and have one of my Pocatello employees attending ISU. For me, it's a game where your two favorite teams meet on the field.

Before posting, I've waited awhile to see where this thread is going. From a Bengal prospective, I think the money is good and the so is the level of expense. I think ISU works on the basics in this game. Nothing over the top with heavy emphasis on keeping kids healthy. I posted on the Bronco board a while back that ISU has the added exposure for Treasure Valley kids, and any exposure is good for the Bengals. That brings me to my second point, where Pocatello residents wear their blue and orange and follow the Broncos. Remember, I grew up in E. Idaho. When I was in high school, we heard little about ISU, Idaho or BSU athletics in the news or around town. Nope. It was all about Ricks College (we nicknamed it Upper Valley High School) or BYU. Utah State athletics got more bump in the news than any of the Idaho schools. Apparently, for ISU not much has changed. And I place part of that on ISU.

PBP said:
Spaz:

Just wondering. Who was your niece who played for ISU?

PBP

Jenna Brown. She is from Portland, played 4 years (I think it was her sophomore year she blew her knee). She was a solid player. She graduated in 2008. BTW... When we attended the Bengal - BSU games, there was no doubt which team we wanted to win... Bengals, of course.

For those that knew Jenna... Jenna (Brown) Strayhand just had her second child. She and Joe and their family live in the Phoenix area.

Spaz:

Called Jenna's games her senior year. The "feisty" Jenna Brown. Tough, tough kid, feared nobody and always wanted to take the last shot at the end. If memory serves she did win one or two games that year near the end.

Saw her two years ago when ISU played at Arizona State. Glad to hear she and her husband are doing well.

PBP

Is it possible to schedule an IVY League School as a non-conference game like Yale or Harvard? I vision a sale out at Holt Arena for these type of games rather low attendance games against D-II teams. Last season, Yale beat Cal Poly 24 - 10 in San Luis Obispo and the game was sold out. Very competitive teams in the IVY league which would prepare ISU for the Big Sky and would draw a big attendance at Holt Arena. How about playing Dartmouth "the Big Green" ?

While you're on the Ivy League Fantasy kick, why not Princeton? Apparently a connection to the Princeton Tigers brought the nickname "Bengals" to Idaho State. Some Princeton grad was headmaster or chief whatever at what the ISU predecessor was way back when. We needed a nickname for athletic contests and thus, "Bengals" was bestowed. This was according to the stories I heard at a new student orientation a few years back. Anyone confirm that?

Good idea notabengalalum. :thumb: Princeton went 8 - 2 in the Ivy League in 2013 and took 1st place. This game would be great for the coaches, players, students, alumni, fans, and potential recruits. This game would sale out if marketed correctly.

notabengalalum said:
While you're on the Ivy League Fantasy kick, why not Princeton? Apparently a connection to the Princeton Tigers brought the nickname "Bengals" to Idaho State. Some Princeton grad was headmaster or chief whatever at what the ISU predecessor was way back when. We needed a nickname for athletic contests and thus, "Bengals" was bestowed. This was according to the stories I heard at a new student orientation a few years back. Anyone confirm that?

The lore of the mascot.. from "Bantams" to "Bengals"

http://www.isubengals.com/sports/2010/10/7/GEN_1007100949.aspx?path=general

That headmaster or chief whatever was from Princeton none other than... Ralph Hutchinson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Hutchinson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back