• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISJ Coverage

SLCBengal

Kyle Franko of the Idaho State Journal has been doing a nice job of covering practices, players, and coaches... He's been blogging about practices, and his articles have been appearing (free) on ISUVoice.com.

http://isuvoice.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://isjsportskfranko.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good stuff. I noted at the end of the D-line article it says ISU practices are open to the public, but they ask that no one take photos or video. That is a good development.

Wow, great coverage. Just now tuning in, been busy the past couple of months. In my opinion this is the best coverage ISU has had in a while.

Glorfield was media savvy but completely uninterested in the beat, Heater was more ego than talent... Franko is good and will eventually move on to bigger things. :thumb:

Kyle's been doing a very nice job especially considering his department is short handed again. Josh decided to move into another department at the Journal and is no longer doing sports and the new guy hired just a month or so ago has already given notice and is leaving I think this week.

Bad time with football starting.

PBP

biobengal said:
Wow, great coverage. Just now tuning in, been busy the past couple of months. In my opinion this is the best coverage ISU has had in a while.

Glorfield was media savvy but completely uninterested in the beat, Heater was more ego than talent... Franko is good and will eventually move on to bigger things. :thumb:

Pretty much nailed it. Heater felt the town, region, and university were beneath him. Glorfield had talent, but was uninterested, immature, or unmotivated. I don't like to see anybody get demoted, but in his case, it was necessary. He saw the writing on the wall and left. He was the ISU football beat writer last season, and one of the games happened to take place at the same time as a Boise State game. Glorfield was tweeting damn near every play about the BSU game, and there were no tweets about ISU. Finally Gittins from KPVI called him out on it and asked him if he was even watching the game he was supposed to be covering. Been a fan of Gittins ever since.

I found out where Chase Glorfield went. He left the Journal so that he could return home and write stories for a BSU sports internet site. I always knew he never was much of a Bengal fan. Here's a link to one of his stories: http://boisestate.scout.com/story/1457949-rypien-bringing-the-party-to-boise?s=336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's also been covering high school games for the Twin Falls paper.

He doesn't have to be a fan to be a good reporter. In fact, it's probably better he isn't so that he can be as objective as possible. I don't have a problem he loves his alma mater. The problem is that he's such a fan of their sports program, that he let it get in the way of his responsibilities as sports editor in Pocatello, East Idaho.

biobengal and donny are right. During recruiting season, he kept sending out multiple tweets daily about all of the recruits for the Broncos. He then said that he had ZERO information on ANY recruits for ISU, and that it's common for no news to come out until signing day. I sent him a tweet telling him this board had lots of names, and most posts had a link to the source. He tweeted me something to the effect that he didn't have time for that. LAZY!

I wasn't too impressed with him, especially after the ISU women's basketball team made it to the NCAA's a couple years back and faced Miami. He showed his lack of knowledge and investment in the team and conference he was covering when he wrote something to the effect that ISU's women's basketball program is I-AA and will have a tough time with a division I Miami. Imbecile.

Glad to have Franko doing such a great job!

I know a lot of people were upset when, after ISU had one of the biggest wins in program history, they took down So. Florida out of the Big East in December 2011, the Journal had nothing in the next day's paper save for a box score.

We were still on the road in Colorado at the Air Force tournament and the next morning numerous parents who made the trip were stopping me to ask why the Journal didn't have anything about it. I didn't know a thing. It was the first game of the night so they had plenty of time to have something about it.

When we got back I looked through the print editions of the paper and confirmed what they had told me...nothing about the game. There was however a large story on the front page of the sports section, below the fold, about how Boise State's freshman football players were evolving.

Not one of Chase's best moments and I'm sure after the fallout, he regretted his actions.

That being said I can only echo what someone posted above, that a reporter with no ties to a program or pro team (in the sense that they are being paid by them) shouldn't be a fan, they are a reporter and supposed to be as objective and neutral as possible when covering them. A fan / blog site is one thing...an actual news organization is something else completely different.

PBP

The coverage for ISU football has been good, IMO. Other than that, unless I was interested in the latest LDS news, the paper is about on par with a high school paper. Daily college papers are way above ISJ. I've dropped them twice and will probably dump them after November. They've even stopped printing the TV guide! Don't know what keeps them afloat.

Latest posts

Back