• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU Coaches on Hot Seat?

I see the Men's BB just got their first W. Once again do you think the football schedule should have NAIA schools scheduled so we can get wins or should we schedule Div I schools to receive money. Did ISU pay for Montana Tech to come and play and if so how much?

Ask Jim Kramer....Another thing to consider is that in basketball...you have so many more games to play around with when building a schedule....whereas in football you'll have 1 or 2 at the very most. The two sports can't be compared in that regard.

blackfootbengal said:
This a topic that comes up every year. This is a response off of the high school board:

The one common denominator in all winning programs is money; those who have it win, those who don't struggle to win consistently. Idaho allows only so much money for athletics, the rest has to come from ticket sales and boosters. If you want ISU to win consistently the number of ticket sales have to increase, and booster donations have to increase. Your seeing the results this year in having the budget cut, played two Div. I programs for money to start the season and seven rode games instead of playing seven at home. The reason for playing on the rode, we don't sale enough tickets to make any money after paying a team to play here.

I heard that ISU was paid about $320K total for playing both Boise State and Idaho. Yet I read that a few years ago Montana was paid $650K for playing at Minnesota or Wisconsin (one of those two, I can't remember which). This year Eastern Washington played at Texas Tech and was paid $550K.

What is the deal with ISU playing two games for small change (and losing both) instead of playing a big $$ game and losing? Why not play someone who pays a lot and earn the money?

All that extra money would do wonders for their budget. Hopefully Tingey can put together something like. If ISU Football is going to lose games to big Division 1 programs, they may as well get paid well to do it!!

That is the same question many of us ask. Why would you play a game with a Div. I team that does not pay. The majority of that money was paid for playing Boise, Idaho does not pay enough to make it worth our time and effort to get to Moscow. If your going to most likely lose the game you should at least be compensated. In honesty, neither of these games benifited us; the Boise and Idaho game hurt us for instate recruiting. Idaho hurt us for recruiting in general as we tend to go after the same players. There is no reason other the stupidity of some people for us to play either team.

Both of those games were scheduled by previous administrations. In the case of the Idaho game, it was scheduled several years ago by Jim Senter. I think you'll see ISU get much bigger money for 1-A games in the future.

It is has been published in the Journal and is widely known that we play Arizona State in 2009 for $425,000, and that was actually put together by Paul Bubb, and that's a significant payday for the department.

ISUSID

Frank, can you answer my question re: Men's BB? Did ISU pay Montana Tech to come and play here? Is the Football team the only ones sacrificing? I heard the trip to Cal Poly was hell! I know they said on the radio they save $39,000 to not charter but this has to very difficult for these players and coaches. Is the Mens BB chartering ?

Frank, we are also hearing that ISU may be playing Kansas State or Utah State on the road as well. If t what is the case, would ISU return the trip to North Dakota or attempt to buy that game out? If my count serves me correctly, ISU will have a minimum home schedule of 5 games, with the potential of only having 4 at home. (If they play 2 FBS opponents and do indeed go to North Dakota to return the game)

Utah State is in 2010. As for the 2009 schedule, currently we have contracts with Arizona State away, North Dakota away, and Cal Poly at home. Anything else about Kansas State or anything else is currently just a rumor.

Of course, we have had teams ask us to move games to accommodate a big pay game, so it would stand to reason that we might do the same, whether it is for a big pay game, or even for us to get a guarantee game at home (Weber State played four guarantee games this year...two away where they got paid, and two home where they paid out).

I don't have the Montana Tech contract handy, but usually for an exhibition there is a small guarantee we pay (I want to say around $3,000-$5,000 or so), and sometimes if we can swing it, we get the team some trade out hotel rooms as well.

ISUSID

Just got the official word by the way for Montana Tech....we paid them $4,000 and we also procured them eight complementary rooms for one night.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back