• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU's new PG - Too bad they get his dad too...

You're seriously bringing up an article almost 3 years old when the kid was a sophomore in high school? What coach trashes a high school sophomore like that in the media? Prick. The dad might be a piece of work, and it sounds like he and the coach have an axe to grind with each other, but the coach lost credibility with me after reading that.

Yes, I am seriously bringing an article up that is almost 3 years old.

I do have concerns about how a father or family member might react if playing time decisions and things like that don't go they way they planned or hoped.

Personally, I fell the high school coach and the parent handled it wrong by going into detail with the media. There were so many things by both parties that didn't need to go to print.

Amazing the things that one comes across when trolling another schools message board.

I know his dad pretty well. This is no longer an issue. That coach was going to get the boot regardless, John took the fall and said some things in the paper I'm sure he regrets but I don't believe there were any issues with the next coach at all. I doubt he's even talked to ISU coaches.

Boy that was fast, heard Fox has left the team. Can anyone comfirm? Was worried from the jump on this signing...

ISU's roster from the official site: http://www.isubengals.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bengalcub said:
Boy that was fast, heard Fox has left the team. Can anyone comfirm? Was worried from the jump on this signing...
That's too bad if true, but not surprising. Onward and upward for the Bengals --and for Ian.

So why all the tension in the relationship? I think Evans is a very reasonable coach so seems like if you play how he wants you too in the system, there should be no problem. However, it did seem like there was a lot of drama that followed Ian and RUHS. Too bad. Hopefully there is something to be learned here

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByKyleFranko/status/537402286331281408[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByKyleFranko/status/537402451532337152[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByKyleFranko/status/537402613994487808[/tweet]

Go ahead and delete your account on your way out, RUHS. :roll:

Are you happy now RUHS?????? Fox shouldn't have quit.....he should have played out the year, it couldn't get any worse than he started.....now he burns a years eligibility for what????? 3 games???? Not a very mature decision......maybe RUHS is his father after all....if so I understand why the kid may have problems....good luck in DII or NAIA because he isn't getting another shot at DI

Coaches always talk about finding "good fits" for their program and I'm not sure Ian was a fit for ISU's offense, or for Pocatello personally. I'd heard last summer he was unhappy here and thought about not coming back for fall semester. It's a shame he blew a whole year of eligibility for 3 games, and he'll have to sit out until second semester of next year if he goes to a D1 program.

Ian's departure and that of Scotty Tyler earlier this year reinforce why ISU is largely a JUCO based program. When you bring true freshmen to Pocatello, Idaho from southern cal or the Midwest, it can be a culture shock. Home sickness is often an issue, because their parents and friends aren't around. JUCO kids have already been away from home for a couple of years, typically in even smaller, more isolated towns than Poky. They are more mature and adjust more readily.

The story about Ali Faruqbey was instructive too. He, like a lot of ISU recruiting targets, was going to wait until spring before signing, presumably looking for a "better offer." If he had a productive year, he probably would have gotten one. Or two. But he got hurt and ISU stuck by its offer, so we got him. Pocatello is a tough, tough place to recruit to. The kids that come here, at least in my discussions with them, largely seem to enjoy the experience once they get settled in, but it's tough getting them here.

Brad:

Just curious. Have you noticed a difference in recruits attitudes (for want of a better word) vis a vis the women as opposed to the men?

Any thoughts on why it seems "easier" (again a bad choice of word but the only one I can think of) for Seton and his staff to bring in four year players as opposed to the men for the last seven seasons?

PBP

To be fair, you do tend to see this at other programs located within smaller, almost rural type communities. It's not just a Pocatello problem. MSU had one of its better offensive players transfer out a couple years ago. Shawn Reid came right out and said it was because of Bozeman, not the school. You see this happen in Pullman, Moscow, Laramie, Cedar City, and so on.

Nice post, Skippy. It's all about getting the right fit. A young immature kid from the beach in southern Cal probably wasn't a good target to recruit to rural Idaho. Live and learn. It's not easy, because you also get somebody like a CJ Reyes from California in football, and he talks about how he likes and enjoys this area.

Disappointing. Good fit, or not. We might as well say that Hell has a Pocatello Zip Code. Future recruits will probably get all they need to make an *informed* decision right here.

PBP said:
Brad:

Just curious. Have you noticed a difference in recruits attitudes (for want of a better word) vis a vis the women as opposed to the men?

Any thoughts on why it seems "easier" (again a bad choice of word but the only one I can think of) for Seton and his staff to bring in four year players as opposed to the men for the last seven seasons?

PBP
That's a good question Mark. Might make a good research paper for some enterprising graduate student in the athletic administration program.

I think Ian was a fall back plan when earlier recruits chose to go a different route. It may be that neither party had done enough getting to know each other prior to an offer.

I know for certain that Coach Evans had some quality JC kids that he thought were on board, decide to go elsewhere. In my opinion, that is why we are seeing some LATE HS commitments and kids that are a long long ways from being able to help. They were the fall back plan to the fall back plan.

Also, I have heard that ISU has offered kids in the past but will not trip them into Pocatello because of lack of recruiting budget. Asking a kid to commit sight unseen can cost a potential recruit or make for a uncertain fit.

ISU will always be a late signing JC team in hoops. If they can get a few HS kids that can fall into place and contribute down the road, I consider that a bonus.

Shoot the three and defend the three and you will see a Bengal team that can compete. If you can't make 6-8 a game your going to be in trouble in this league. The Bengals were a few JC kids away from being very solid. Taking four true freshman was never by design, especially two at the point.

Evans is the man and I believe he will find some offensive punch for next year. This year however, might end up dark and dreary.

I hope I am wrong.

Latest posts

Back