• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

ISU's new PG - Too bad they get his dad too...

Bengal:

That's an interesting comment about not paying for recruits to visit. Never heard that one before. I don't think the women do that and their budget I would assume is a lot less than the men's because they aren't paid close to what the men get for money games.

I wonder if that's part of the reason Jeff asked the SBOE for additional money for the next three years for the various athletic programs. That was approved a few months ago, I wonder when that money becomes available?

Brad, would you know???

PBP

For clarification, I am not saying that NO visits are paid for. I am saying that some offers have been extended without visits. The point was, in that situation that the kid does not see teammates, Pocatello or the university. I think when it comes to finding the right fit, it is important for a potential signee to have that perspective.

Bengal:

OK...thanks for the clarification. And you do have a point about not seeing the campus, teammates and so on.

Only woman's player that I know of who ever came under Seton without seeing things a head of time personally was Ash Vella, for obvious reasons. That one worked out great!

PBP

....PBP....I did hear that $ 75,000 of the annual $ 250,000 was designated to "recruiting " costs for the Football and Basketball programs....not sure how it's divided up....nor if they meant just men's BB or both the men's and women's programs.... but the plan makes sense to me...kind of "chicken or the egg" theory in my mind....which do we get first ?...better teams to get better facilities...or vise versa ? ....We have to start somewhere....this plan makes sense to me...... :coffee:

Claws:

I specifically read in the Journal where football, men's and woman's basketball, volleyball and soccer were all getting a cut every season for the next three years.

I just don't know when that time period starts, if it's next season or if it has already begun with 'deposits' for wont of a better word, in the various sports budgets.

PBP

It has nothing to do with budgets, Pocatello, fits or any of that. Ian Fox got a chance to play and learn DI basketball from a GOOD coach. He was a late commit (still available because of questions about ability, size, skill level, etal) who had some baggage (i.e. RUHS) and didn't think he needed to sit to learn. He got what he wanted and now he will have to live with it. Probably goes the JC route and then DII or NAIA. I think your whole team will be better off without him and his baggage. The "I'm going to take my ball and go home" attitude is never needed in team sports. His high school stats showed him for what he was......a shoot first, no pass, point guard who at his size was going to have a pile of problems playing defense at the DI level.

sacstateman said:
It has nothing to do with budgets, Pocatello, fits or any of that. Ian Fox got a chance to play and learn DI basketball from a GOOD coach. He was a late commit (still available because of questions about ability, size, skill level, etal) who had some baggage (i.e. RUHS) and didn't think he needed to sit to learn. He got what he wanted and now he will have to live with it. Probably goes the JC route and then DII or NAIA. I think your whole team will be better off without him and his baggage. The "I'm going to take my ball and go home" attitude is never needed in team sports. His high school stats showed him for what he was......a shoot first, no pass, point guard who at his size was going to have a pile of problems playing defense at the DI level.
Sac you're making a lot of assumptions that I'm not sure are "in evidence," as the attorneys would say. But I'm pretty sure we are saying similar things. Ian wasn't a great fit here. I wish him the best as he moves on and hope he finds a place where he's happy and productive.

Skippy, you are much nicer and diplomatic than I am. You know I had a time when I was very concerned about this situation. I even IM'd you with my concerns. After the last rant by RUHS I sort of gave up all hope for a sane solution. When Fox quit on the team it really ticked me off and I apologize if any one got there feelings hurt. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the season.

sacstateman said:

Looks like the first part of my prediction is right.....Ian is at Long Beach City College....he will have his hands full getting time there...

if the kid was such poison, why sign him in the first place? why didn't the coaching staff do the background check that somebody on the weber state board did? ineptness? desperation? greenness? lol such a joke.

the basketball ship is sinking. time to sign an even longer extension, tingey.

makes me laugh. one of the finalists from the last search is a finalist for the almost $200,000 a year vacant UVU job. one of the finalists for the bogus search that ended up giving us joe o'bozo is the top assistant for a sweet 16 team and is leading to take over usu.

maybe matt and jeff can convince the fired simon fraser coach who was a grad asst here with oliver to take over.

no clue.

For those that care.... Ian is at Fullerton JC and doing well.
He left Idaho St for 2 specific reasons... First.. He wasn't happy being away from his mother who he found out has cancer (she is doing ok now I hear). That was why he was considering not going back after summer break. He went back and struggled to stay focused and wasn't hitting shots in the first 3 games. There was a combination of frustrations that just made anything outside of So Cal not a good fit for him! Nothing but love for coach Evans and ISU! Coach Evans is a very very fair and cool coach and was very good to us! In fact Ian said that he ran into him at a JUCO shootout and they had a good talk. In fact Evans was asked about him by a variety of coaches and he had nothing but good things to say about Ian including that he would recruit him again if he thought Idaho was a good fit for him.
Ian was fortunate enough to file a hardship waiver and get his freshman year back. So he is in a unique situation that he is a true freshman eligibility wise but academically a sophomore. For those that showed love to him thank you!
For the haters that thought he was not very good and will only play NAIA or D3... He has been offered at Cal State Fullerton (D1), Cal St San Luis Obispo (D1) and is getting a lot of attention from Pepperdine and Portland Universities (Both D1), Had offers immediately after transferring from ISU to Azusa Pacific and Cal Baptist (Both in D2 final four last year)
I hope ISU has a better season this year and will always have love for Coach Evans and the staff at ISU!!
Peace

RUHS said:
For those that care.... Ian is at Fullerton JC and doing well.
He left Idaho St for 2 specific reasons... First.. He wasn't happy being away from his mother who he found out has cancer (she is doing ok now I hear). That was why he was considering not going back after summer break. He went back and struggled to stay focused and wasn't hitting shots in the first 3 games. There was a combination of frustrations that just made anything outside of So Cal not a good fit for him! Nothing but love for coach Evans and ISU! Coach Evans is a very very fair and cool coach and was very good to us! In fact Ian said that he ran into him at a JUCO shootout and they had a good talk. In fact Evans was asked about him by a variety of coaches and he had nothing but good things to say about Ian including that he would recruit him again if he thought Idaho was a good fit for him.
Ian was fortunate enough to file a hardship waiver and get his freshman year back. So he is in a unique situation that he is a true freshman eligibility wise but academically a sophomore. For those that showed love to him thank you!
For the haters that thought he was not very good and will only play NAIA or D3... He has been offered at Cal State Fullerton (D1), Cal St San Luis Obispo (D1) and is getting a lot of attention from Pepperdine and Portland Universities (Both D1), Had offers immediately after transferring from ISU to Azusa Pacific and Cal Baptist (Both in D2 final four last year)
I hope ISU has a better season this year and will always have love for Coach Evans and the staff at ISU!!
Peace

I wish Ian the best, and will keep his mom in my prayers.

Ian Fox is starting for the Fullerton College Hornets and averaging 10 pts, 5 assists and 2 turnovers per game....the team has a 5-1 record so far....I would say Ian is doing pretty well.....especially in the assist department....

Sorry to rehash this thread, but I was watching some Netflix tonight. If you have it, watch Trophy Kids. It's a documentary about parents who live their lives through their kids to excel at sports.

If you have HBO, they sometimes air it as part of their State of Play series. You can probably watch in on demand.

So yeah, guess who is one of the kids and parents?

Latest posts

Back