• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

It Won't be Deane

Actually Cub, Dan Beus' hometown is listed as Kuna, but he had played for Melba High School. And Justin Sant did play for North Gem in Bancroft, but I'll bet many of you remember when he did play a year for ISU before going on a mormon mission, and then on to SUU -- anyway, I think this is what happened. Justin's nickname on the team was Shaggy, because he looked just like Shaggy on the cartoon Scooby-Do.

Sorry Deane Martin for your ISU experience. Sorry for the committee that never gave you a chance. You could have won the Big Sky, and doubt that you would have been offered the job. This is a coaches graveyard, and sorry that you had to experience it. Good luck down the road, and hopefully your next administration will be more up front and honest.

Bengalsrule said:
Sorry Deane Martin for your ISU experience. Sorry for the committee that never gave you a chance. You could have won the Big Sky, and doubt that you would have been offered the job. This is a coaches graveyard, and sorry that you had to experience it. Good luck down the road, and hopefully your next administration will be more up front and honest.

Come now, some of you guys act like he won the BSC championship. Sure, he rallied the troops early.... then faded. Ultimately, the guy went 7-13 with W's against the following teams (RPI):

UNC x 2 (257)
SAC (314)
NAU x 2 (335)
MSU, (275)
Weber, (68)

I think that Evans could be a good coach, but I really wonder about his age. He looks like he should be retired. Anyone know how old he is?

Quite the allegations, there, Bengalsrule. Just so you know, they are totally off-base.

Bengalsrule said:

I'm disappointed, but I think Bill is a good hire. He didn't say if Deane (or any of the coaching staff) would be staying, but I think that he wants the staff that will make him the most successful - and with Bill being 63, Deane could stay and still become the head coach fairly soon - he certainly has the potential to really mesh well with Bill. I think this decision weighed a lot more factors than you're giving it credit for - and unless you are a part of the committee then there is nothing that you could say that would challenge the validity and integrity of it. Bill is a great guy, he is a smart guy, he has a great resume and wants to be here. Should Deane decide to stay - and I think Bill would welcome him with open arms (Jim Potter has also been all over campus with him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stays with Idaho State athletics in some capacity, maybe not as a coach) - he will have a chance to learn from a guy that has been a defensive mastermind and a huge part of University of Montana's success. That is a program you want to learn from and hiring anyone from that coaching tree is a good decision.

Edit: for what it's worth, I think that Martin may get the NAU job. Although, with the amount of time they are taking to make an announcement they may be targeting someone on a team that is still playing.

Re-Edit: Although that will wait for the new AD as well.

Bengalsrule said:

According to someone who was on the search committee (and whose name I won't divulge), Deane Martin was the #1 committee choice and Evans was #3. Word was that the string of Bengals losses to end the season were Deane's doom. Tingey's choice was somewhat of a surprise according to what I was told. Again - what I was told.
But, after the fact, it's really not an unexpected choice if you check out Evans pedigree.

Latest posts

Back