• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Jay Hill new DC - BYU

AlumniWSU

Per KSL sports, Jay Hill is named the defensive coordinator at BYU. Sad to see him leave, but he has earned it & has brought Weber State football to new heights & success. Thanks Coach Hill & good luck to you. :coffee:

Ugh I had a bad feeling about this. I am happy for Jay and sad for Weber.

I thought his body language on the sideline was a lot different this year. He seemed to have a sour look on his face every time the broadcast showed him. I also thought it was very out of character when he called the three straight timeouts and egged on the Montana State fans. It’s probably nothing but it caught my attention this season and I never posted about it.

I’ll be forever grateful that he turned around the program after the flaming disaster that was Jody Sears. It’s been a lot of fun following the Wildcats the last 9 years. Wishing Coach Hill the best at BYU.

Very grateful Coach Hill built a program and a culture of winning. It’s been amazing to get in playoffs consistently and see four straight Big Sky titles. It was so fun to see dominating defense, just wished a decent offense accompanied it because there would have been a FCS title or two if say a Mental was in place instead of a Schramm or Hammer. I think Hill has put a foundation in place for a successor to step in and continue success and potentially even advance the program.

I worry for Hill. BYU fans are not patient and have unrealistic expectations. They are jumping up to the Big 12 and it may take a few years to get the talent and depth to build a strong D. Fans begged for Detmer as OC and then soured on him fast (although mostly justified). Hill will have the X’s and O’s right off the bat, but execution and talent is another thing.

Can’t bring myself to cheer for BYU…so hopefully they lose a lot of defensive dominated games.

Now just hope the AD opens a search. Should be standard operating procedure but taking nothing for granted. The Duft hiring was different because Rahe left so late in the offseason but an interim hire and a search the following year should have been done in that case.

I’m already impressed with Mental, and am interested to see what names apply. I’m sure Coach Lamb would haven’t signed up to be coach of Northern Colorado if he knew the Weber State job would open.

Thanks again Coach Hill! Godspeed in Utah County. :lol:

I certainly have some questions about Crompton. I really hope he can make a good hire, we can’t afford to lose the momentum Hill has built.

I am wondering if he will bring any players to BYU. I’m not sure many of our guys have the size to play in the Big 12. The Atagi’s definitely do. Maybe Winston Reid?

Coach Hill achieved things never experienced at Weber State. He did things none of us knew were possible. Thank you Coach Hill for making Weber State Football into a winner and a respectable program. I can't stand the Y. I like them a bit more because Jay will be on their sidelines, but like Chex, hope to see a lot of "defensive dominating defeats."

At first, I was really disconsolate. We all knew this day would come. I just expected to see Jay going to another school to be the HC. He is a better coach than Kalani (I really like him as a person, but don't think he is anywhere on the level as Jay) and feel the Cats could have beaten BYU this season. Really, BYU probably would have come calling after next season or the season after. Jay will save Kalani's job at the Y.

SO...who is next? TC better have called Colton Swan this morning. Admittedly, I like Timmy, but worry about his hiring. I thoroughly agree with Chex. The Duft hire and subsequent contract was unnecessary. Duft should have been made the Interim coach this season with a national search started. Personally, I think Duft is the reason Randy never got over that "hump." He was holding Randy back. In this case, there is time, but not a lot. There are really good options.

Why Swan...he knows Weber and is an alumni of the school. He coached with Mac, Hill, and Whit. He is part of an incredible defense at Utah (might be in line to be the next DC once Whit leaves) and is going the Rose Bowl for the second consecutive season. He is an incredible recruiter and will be able to keep a lot of the guys we are recruiting to stay committed. Finally, he knows the guys, will continue the Hill culture, our defense will continue to be strong, and he will keep the staff intact. He is the best option, BUT...can we get him to come back to Weber. He would be taking a huge pay cut.

talhadfoursteals said:
He is the best option, BUT...can we get him to come back to Weber. He would be taking a huge pay cut.

USA Today lists his 2021 total salary at the U as $275,000, so if he is offered close to what Jay was making (with bonuses) it won't be a pay cut.

Who else are we thinking as a good option to take over in the post Jay Hill era?

Interesting article about potential head coach candidates at WSU: https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/2022/dec/07/weber-state-football-head-coach-candidates-swan-sitake-maile-jay-hill/

Colton Swan, Fesi Sitake, Brent Myers, Mickey Mental, Frank Maile, and Nick Howell. I think all but Mental are great options worth considering, he's just too new on this particular scene, even though he has been a head coach.

I hope at least a few of them have an interest in keeping this program moving upward.

Coach Hill had a strong chance to lead a team to a national championship. I wonder why he would give up that quest?

That’s a big deal and doesn’t come along very often. Did he think he’s taken Weber as far as it could possibly go?

That question bothers me. We have truly incredible facilities- for FCS- yet even with a winning, top ten ranking, no even ONCE could we sellout the stadium. Most of the time it looked embarrassingly empty.

Montana State got the ESPN show to show up. Weber can’t get 8,000 in the stands!

If we’re going to get a coach even close to Hill’s quality, there better be a plan to market and get butts in seats. No coach worth his salt wants to play to empty stadiums.

I don’t even want to think about the transfer portal.

CrazyJ said:
Coach Hill had a strong chance to lead a team to a national championship. I wonder why he would give up that quest?

That’s a big deal and doesn’t come along very often. Did he think he’s taken Weber as far as it could possibly go?

That question bothers me. We have truly incredible facilities- for FCS- yet even with a winning, top ten ranking, no even ONCE could we sellout the stadium. Most of the time it looked embarrassingly empty.

Montana State got the ESPN show to show up. Weber can’t get 8,000 in the stands!

If we’re going to get a coach even close to Hill’s quality, there better be a plan to market and get butts in seats. No coach worth his salt wants to play to empty stadiums.

I really worry about the transfer portal too. I hope Crompton (who I don’t have much faith in) makes a smart but quick decision on the next coach because of the players and staff still remaining. Losing Hill hurts but the right coach can ensure stability and even IMO enhance the program. Our biggest problem for years was that the offense NEVER matched the defense, but this year I actually feel it flipped or at least leveled off. I’m in favor of giving Mental the job and seeing what he can do with the offense and filling out the defensive staff. I also think he could help retain most players although some were bound to transfer anyway as will all college football now.

As for Jay leaving I think it’s simple. He is an LDS person who has ALWAYS dreamed of being at BYU. He is from Lehi and always wanted to return home and coach at his favorite school growing up as a child. The money increase is the cherry on top but I think the chance to coach the defense (which is what he knows) and possibly one day become the HC is all the in incentive he needed. He earned this chance, but I for one think he may have peaked here and I think he felt he had led the Cats as far as he could take them.

CrazyJ said:

:stir: You bring up a point that's been a sore spot for a few years now. Quite simply Ogden, except for a few K's of diehard fans, shows lame, pathetic fan support in attendance. Basketball, it's understandable with the recent lack of excitement/interest. Football, with the success Coach Hill has brought, since 2017 especially, his plea's for a big crowd at Stewart have been met with disappointment. Unless tickets are cheap, or free, a lot of fans won't bother to show up, no matter the importance of the game. It's a very rare occasion when 12K or more show. In my opinion, a lot of blame is on WSU administration, student leaders...lack of attention, marketing, simply their APATHY! Ogden doesn't deserve a program like Coach Hill has created. That's sad but been :blah: about forever & is like whistling in the wind. Preaching to the choir here :cry:

If the AD takes a lame approach to filling in the right person (always some guessing to it, sure), it will be "two steps forward & now three steps back". Attendance will be back to 4 or 5K at Stewart (like it is at barely 4K at Dee). :eek:hno:

Kylan Weisser just entered the transfer portal hope we don't lose too many more players.
I liked Weisser and thought he did a great job when he was given the opportunity.
Good luck Kylan

AlumniWSU said:
CrazyJ said:

:stir: You bring up a point that's been a sore spot for a few years now. Quite simply Ogden, except for a few K's of diehard fans, shows lame, pathetic fan support in attendance. Basketball, it's understandable with the recent lack of excitement/interest. Football, with the success Coach Hill has brought, since 2017 especially, his plea's for a big crowd at Stewart have been met with disappointment. Unless tickets are cheap, or free, a lot of fans won't bother to show up, no matter the importance of the game. It's a very rare occasion when 12K or more show. In my opinion, a lot of blame is on WSU administration, student leaders...lack of attention, marketing, simply their APATHY! Ogden doesn't deserve a program like Coach Hill has created. That's sad but been :blah: about forever & is like whistling in the wind. Preaching to the choir here :cry:

If the AD takes a lame approach to filling in the right person (always some guessing to it, sure), it will be "two steps forward & now three steps back". Attendance will be back to 4 or 5K at Stewart (like it is at barely 4K at Dee). :eek:hno:

I can't agree with you more!! This should be the post of the month!

Its like Weber doesn't want to succeed. This season is a great case study in abject apathy. Weber's standard of excellent is mediocrity.

I've always wondered if AD's don't want to build fan support because they then have to be more accountable for their actions. Personally, fans bring in more support and the potential for more students. With Jay leaving, opportunity for revenue production with fan development leaves with him. This might become a lost decade because of sheer laziness.

As for the next coach, I really hope the sun shines on us again and the three blind mice get lucky and pick another winner. It shouldn't be that hard, but sometimes we trip over our own pride, er feet.

I'll be surprised if the hire is Colton Swan. He would be a great choice in so many ways but I just don't think he would take that kind of pay cut. He currently makes $700k at Utah so unless he REALLY wants to be the guy he isn't coming.

Maybe everyone knows this already but hasn't mentioned it, Brett Hein - Standard Examiner's sports columnist, mentioned in a couple of articles about the hiring process & quotes WSU AD saying there will be a national search conducted & Coach Mental has been named interim HC. Some posters seem to assume we all know the latest news so don't mention side notes, so I am, sorry for a repeat to you all. :coffee:

Greatx3 said:
I'll be surprised if the hire is Colton Swan. He would be a great choice in so many ways but I just don't think he would take that kind of pay cut. He currently makes $700k at Utah so unless he REALLY wants to be the guy he isn't coming.

Guess the question here is what's the correct source of Swan's salary $700K, $275K ????. What about Coach Jay Hill coming from an assistant job at Utah to Weber State HC in the first place? Didn't he take a pay cut?

Bottom line is how much being a Div I - FCS HC at any program worth, seems it carries a little weight. FCS teams can't pay the big bucks probably ever for hiring coaches, but the prestige of being HC is an attraction & positive on a resume. Just ask Jay Hill. :twocents:

Utah
Year School Total Pay
2022 Utah $325,000
2021 Utah $275,000
2020 Utah $250,000
2019 Utah $200,000
https://sports.usatoday.com › assistant
Utah Coach Colton Swan Salary - USA TODAY - Sports

Swan was paid $325,000 this year per USA Today. So him getting the job wouldn’t be some big pay cut IF he was offered the job. We’ll see what Weber comes up with but my preference is Mental, Swan, Sitake, or Maile in no particular order.

Let me throw a baseless rumor out there. Ken Niumatalolo got fired before he could sit down in the locker room after the Army game. Maybe he has applied?

Latest posts

Back