• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

JMU

n.ogdencat

Staff member
Looks like they are not playing Weber next year. Middle Tennessee State has replaced Weber on the Dukes schedule for September 3: https://jmusports.com/sports/football/schedule/2022

Guess the Cats have an open date. JMU sure knows how to waste a lot of its students money (student pay, on average, around $2700 from their tuition and fees to JMU athletics each year) and still find themselves virtually bankrupt. Oh well, this should mean 400K for the Cats because JMU broke the contract. I'm guessing SUU will be cancelling its game against St. Thomas to play us here in Ogden. Mere conjecture on my part!!

talhadfoursteals said:
Looks like they are not playing Weber next year. Middle Tennessee State has replaced Weber on the Dukes schedule for September 3: https://jmusports.com/sports/football/schedule/2022

Guess the Cats have an open date. JMU sure knows how to waste a lot of its students money (student pay, on average, around $2700 from their tuition and fees to JMU athletics each year) and still find themselves virtually bankrupt. Oh well, this should mean 400K for the Cats because JMU broke the contract. I'm guessing SUU will be cancelling its game against St. Thomas to play us here in Ogden. Mere conjecture on my part!!
Where did you hear the $400K thing? I'm guessing that it was a mutually negotiated thing. Also, I'm guessing that we would bring in anyone in the country before we would bring in SUU. We might also look for a money game or look to pay someone to come in. When was the last time we had 6 home games? Does Sister Mary of the Poor still have a football team? :lol:

oldrunner said:
talhadfoursteals said:

Where did you hear the $400K thing? I'm guessing that it was a mutually negotiated thing. Also, I'm guessing that we would bring in anyone in the country before we would bring in SUU. We might also look for a money game or look to pay someone to come in. When was the last time we had 6 home games? Does Sister Mary of the Poor still have a football team? :lol:

There is a penalty clause in the original contract. If a team/school broke the contract that team had to pay the other team/school 400K. I'm sure we aren't going to force JMU to pay the entire sum, since they broke the contract the season we were supposed to travel and they had already traveled here. However, they are breaking the contract and it is leaving Weber in a bad spot. There aren't a lot of DI programs that have an open date right now. I'm guessing we will get stuck with a non-DI. :thumbdown: That alone should be enough for Weber to demand the most money from JMU for breaking the contract. Even though our chances aren't great for winning this Fall, it still is a DI game and now we are forced to replace that game with something that can hurt our chances of going to the playoffs.

SUU won't be breaking the date with St. Thomas. I just learned that St. Thomas is a new FCS in the Pioneer League. In other words as close to an automatic W as possible for the birds in DI.

Honestly St. Thomas is far from an easy win for SUU or not. They’ll be winning the Pioneer conference regularly in the next few years and SUU seems to be in a complete rebuild.

Really hoping we can find a mid-tier FCS opponent. The schedule looks pretty daunting.

Honestly, with as brutal as the schedule is and the non-availability of FCS teams, I’d go for a Montana Tech before an FBS team…unless the FBS team is a low tier MWC or MAC that could be a possible win…of course those teams aren’t going to schedule Weber State on late notice.

I feel that it depends on who we can get and what the $$s are. If we can't get an FCS game, then either a big money FBS game or a low money D11. We may not have a lot of choices. :coffee:

I tried to look through and see what FCS teams have an opening for Week 1. Not sure there is a good fit available. San Diego is probably the best fit geographically, but they already have away games at Cal Poly and UC Davis.

ASUN/WAC
None

Big Sky
None

Big South
Charleston Southern
Chattanooga
Gardner Webb
Robert Morris

CAA
Albany
Hampton
Maine
Monmouth
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

MEAC
Howard
South Carolina State

Northeast
Bryant

Patriot
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Marist

Pioneer
Butler
Dayton
Morehead State
San Diego
Stetson

Southern
ETSU

Southland
None

SWAC
Alabama State
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Jackson State
Prairie View A&M
Texas Southern

Chex said:
Honestly, with as brutal as the schedule is and the non-availability of FCS teams, I’d go for a Montana Tech before an FBS team…unless the FBS team is a low tier MWC or MAC that could be a possible win…of course those teams aren’t going to schedule Weber State on late notice.

Understood that choices are limited this late but choosing to go non-D1 has a con to it & Coach Hill already alluded to it being the last choice, if nothing else works. Why not strive for a paycheck game with any FBS team? The $$ make it worth it, if the option is there. A home game against a non-D1 will be poorly attended & hurts the team's playoff qualifications issue.

Attendance this past fall was disappointing as it was. It didn't help that they lost 4 straight at home, & now days it's the covid pandemic thing as an issue in attendance (indoors at least), but the figures for the marquee JMU game (the highest attendance at 11K+), UC-Davis, etc. left something to be desired !

Hope it works out...not going to blame Coach if it doesn't, but will continue to blame the university marketing & the community fans, for shame, in not getting more butts in the seats, darn it !!! Mine was there & there needs to be better support by attending football games, even if things aren't going perfectly! Show some support !!

FWIW: Hero Sports released the NCAA's report on average 2021 FCS football home attendance rankings;
1. Jackson State 42K (Wow, that beats some FBS teams)
2. Montana 24K
4. Montana St. 19K
18. UC Davis 10K
33. Cal Poly 8K
37. No. Arizona 7K+
38. Sacramento St 7k +
59. Weber State 6.4K :-(
63. Eastern Washington 5.7K

Latest posts

Back