• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Kevin Smallcomb out as UNC baseball coach

That's too bad. I know the Smallcomb's personally and they're good people. Sad to see this happening.

I know I'm going to get killed by writing this, but I think they should scratch the entire program. We can allocate the money into football and basketball. No one is going to win when we don't invest in the program. I hate to say it because UNC has a great history in baseball.

Let me get this straight, Downing gets not one but TWO contract extensions after 1 and 3 win seasons, and Smallcomb has virtually no resources, and still manages a winning record and a 2nd place finish in the conference, and he gets the boot. This is classic Jay...who exactly does he think is going to come here and do a better job with the resources he has allocated?!

UNC should NOT drop baseball, we have a lot of history, and it is not like they are draining major resources from the other programs to pay for it. We are the only D1 program left in the state aside from AF, which doesn't really count because they draw from a national, not local recruiting pool. Additionally I think that dropping baseball would alienate some long time supporters of UNC athletics, and Jay has done enough of that over his tenure.

As I was typing this I had an epiphany, the only way this makes any logical sense is if in fact they are planning on doing away with the baseball program. :|

I hope they don't drop baseball. Why would they need to put more money into football? They haven't done anything when they have. Basketball I can see that, only because they've made strides.

GoBears you hit it right on the head. Not only does UNC need baseball but the state of Colorado does, there's ton of baseball talent in this state. It's bad enough that there is only 2 D1 programs in this state.

I don't see em dropping baseball though, especially after they just got into the Great West.

Yeah I don't get this one either I wonder what was going on behind the scenes... maybe he was demanding support, that would get you canned quick I'm sure.

I'd love to get an update on the search. The best idea would be to get someone in here with fund raising abilty. Does T. Boone Pickens have any relatives that want to coach? :lol:

UNC wont drop baseball, like the earlier post, such action would alienate and upset UNC athletic boosters, especially some of the larger ones.

Although UNC had a great year this year, and baseball has had some success with the least amount of resources, letting Smallcomb go was something that was long overdue and needed to be done. Recruiting wont miss a beat (Strain and Sells handles the majority, if not all of the recruiting) and this firing, if anything will help bringing in more talent.

From what I hear, both assistants currently on the staff have the inside track for the head coaching job.

anon22 said:
UNC wont drop baseball, like the earlier post, such action would alienate and upset UNC athletic boosters, especially some of the larger ones.

Although UNC had a great year this year, and baseball has had some success with the least amount of resources, letting Smallcomb go was something that was long overdue and needed to be done. Recruiting wont miss a beat (Strain and Sells handles the majority, if not all of the recruiting) and this firing, if anything will help bringing in more talent.

From what I hear, both assistants currently on the staff have the inside track for the head coaching job.

What big time baseball boosters are you talking about? If there were such boosters, the Bears wouldn't be playing is such a dump. They would have donated big time dollars to upgrade facilities so we can move into the WAC or MWC. Tom Runnels? Greg Riddoch? Dave Anderson? They obviously don't care that much.

And they seem to be in no hurry to hire a replacement, obviously it's not one of the assistants because if so they could have done that the next day... there is no hurry really but the clock ticking seems to be indicative of the lack of commitment.

I agree with the facilities comment above, I can't think of an improvement to the field in over 20 years...

That's embarrassing especially considering what women's soccer has just across the parking lot.

Need any proof just look at the picture they use on the athletic department website to show the place:

JacksonField-10.jpg

They point the camera towards the outfield, what facilty picture ever just shows an open expanse of grass and not the infrastructure? Seriously that picture could be of any field in the world it's so generic. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad... :cry:

Beardown said:
anon22 said:

What big time baseball boosters are you talking about? If there were such boosters, the Bears wouldn't be playing is such a dump. They would have donated big time dollars to upgrade facilities so we can move into the WAC or MWC. Tom Runnels? Greg Riddoch? Dave Anderson? They obviously don't care that much.

Although outside support may not be evident from a fiscal standpoint, it doesn't mean that there are big names that "back" the UNC baseball program. For example, you mention Tom Runnels---Runnels was instrumental in setting up an exhibition game between the Sky Sox and the Bears back in 2007. Don't tell me that having the opportunity to play against the likes of Ian Stewart, Clint Barmes and Seth Smith isn't somewhat of a possible recruiting tool. To me that helps the program out substantially. How about Bill Geivett and the Monfort's?? They play a huge part in the annual "Friends of Baseball" dinner/fundraiser, not to mention the opportunity they give the UNC players to meet current professional baseball players, especially with the Rockies. What about Dave Keller, a current minor league instructor who has provided constant advice and the opportunity for UNC players to visit minor league camps when in Tucson and Tempe?? Again, although not fiscally motivated, their contributions are just as valuable to the UNC program. To me, I would assume that the support of people like Tom Runnels (Current Bench Coach for the Rockies), Bill Geivett (VP of Baseball Ops for the Rox), the Monfort's (You should know who they are) Dave Keller (Hitting Coordinator for Chicago Cubs Farm System) and many others are vital to the UNC Baseball program.

anon - All of those are great, but until one of those boosters hands over a big check to upgrade facilities, the baseball program will struggle. You're smart enough to know that successful D1 programs all start with Big Money. It's all about $$$ at D1. In the next few years Hinrichs or who ever replaces him will have to make tough choices about what programs can survive. I would hate to see UNC baseball die, but if it can support itself, maybe it should? We can use that money to invest in football or basketball. Both of those sports are on the verge of being competitive in the conference and maybe they just need more money.

Latest posts

Back