• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

KIFI Channel 8

Bengal Roar

I would like to thank KIFi channel 8 for covering ISU football the way they do. I get more of a feel and pulse of what is going on watching this station than the local station here. Channel 8 takes time and does a nice story here and there instead of a quick blurp. Thanks again.

I agree. Channel 3 also provides much better coverage of local sports than channel 6. To see highlights or scores of local sports you have to view either of the IF stations. Channel 6 sports has reached a all time low with their present egotistical so called sportscaster.

wildbill99 said:
I agree. Channel 3 also provides much better coverage of local sports than channel 6. To see highlights or scores of local sports you have to view either of the IF stations. Channel 6 sports has reached a all time low with their present egotistical so called sportscaster.

FWIW...Ch. 3 KIDK and Ch. 8 KIFI are owned by the same company, so viewers will get virtually identical news reporting from both IF stations. Nonetheless, they provide better ISU coverage than KPVI.

At least Matt makes ISU a priority. During football and basketball season he was the only local sportscaster who attempted to do an in depth show with the coaches. During basketball season he would stay till the end of the games instead of the 5 minutes channel 3/8's reporters were there. ISU was his priority. It seems like the Bengals are more of an afterthought to the Idaho Falls stations. In the fall you think Boise State is the only college in Idaho and in the winter they make you feel like you're in Provo the way they cover BYU.

Who does sports for channel(s) 3/8 anyway? It’s like a revolving door over there. Matt Grittins at least cares about ISU. I’ve had drinks with those guys and believe me they love ISU. They have staff members who tailgate at every game. I don't think you could say the same for the Idaho Falls station.

Nope, Channel 8's ISU coverage is hands down better than Gittin's at Channel 6. The sports segment at Channel 6 includes major Utah Jazz coverage, BYU coverage, Jimmer coverage, and then and only then, ISU. When Shellgren was at Channel 6, they started to call themselves the "home of the Broncos."

Channel 8 may be a revolving door, but that's because you're getting a better sports anchor. Bemis just left to Las Vegas, and Alyssa left to report at the Colorado Springs station. They may have only filmed a small percentage during each actual home game, but they still carried highlights from away games by picking up Big Sky TV feeds or other feeds. Regularly, Gittin's only gave an ISU score at the very end of the sportscast. After extensive BYU sports.

Channel 6 had the coaches show, but it went from a 30 minute show to a show which only filled in between Sunday night football and the newscast. Sometimes that meant 5 minutes, and sometimes that meant 20 minutes. It stopped running before the season was even over when they stopped running weekend newscasts. How can you be the best sportscast for ISU sports when you're not even running a newscast on weekends?

ISU needs to work with Channel 8 to get the coaches show on there. It needs to be 30 minutes, and it needs to be informative AND a marketing tool for athletics and ISU in general. It would be wise to get Jerry, Brad, or Mark to host the show itself, since they are the ones most in tune with each sport.

This is my first time posting anything on the board. I usually just read the comments here but this thread left me shaking my head so badly I had to create an account to reply. I watch both stations all the time and you are right when you say it's no contest between the two, the problem is, it's Ch. 6 who's dominating the ISU coverage.

Here are a few examples. Channel six was the only one with video of the Gilchrest game winner. I'm not sure where Ch 8 was? They were the only station that did a story with him afterwards talking about the shot. Channel six is the only station that publishes the news conferences so we can hear what was said from the ENTIRE event. Channel six introduced us to the new QB (I think his name is Yost) and then Ch 8 copied the story a few days later. We get more in depth and quality reports from 6 (like the one on the hurt player coming back as a WR). When I watch Ch 8 you can tell they don't know the players or team like Ch 6.

I respect the rest of your opinions and decisions to choose channel 8. The only time I'll be joining you is if 6 is on commercial. There really is no argument.

If someone wants to make a point than great. However, choose one account and stick with it. The IP addresses on all user post is something that I can see, and quite frankly, creating multiple accounts to sway board opinion is frowned upon. Pick ONE member account and stick with it, please...

Michelle is cuter than matt.... But bemis sucked. The only time I saw him at an isu hoops game I heard him talking trash about the bengals to whoever he was with. Channel 8 sports is unoriginal and their highlights are only good when they pull them off big sky tv because that's when they get simone who knows how to use a camera.

And if you want to know my name is bill kotowski. You can give them all my ip address troy. Fyi I literally worked 2 months straight last year without a day off to shoot, produce and edit the bengal review when shellgren left. I guarantee nobody at channel 8 would put out that kind of effort for the bengals even when they're good. Matt does as much by himself to cover the bengals as 3 out 4 people at channel 8. I think the effort alone shows the effort and priority the bengals are for channel 6.

I live next to KPVI and use their Wi-Fi, a bunch of us do. We live in the duplex on the corner of Custer and 9th. If anybody would have an axe to grind with them it would be me. They towed my truck out of their parking lot without notice one time (okay…a little bit of notice.) I know K Toww and we have been friends since our days at Century. He brings up some valid points. I don’t know Grittins that well but I imagine he doesn’t have a lot to work with. If you were at the games this year, you would know just how hard he works. Granted, I don’t really watch TV but I can’t remember ever seeing anybody but him at the games this year. Why all the hate anyway? Shouldn’t we just be happy that stations are still covering the Bengals? Look at all the stores that have discontinued selling ISU merchandise. :ohno:

As of late I still go to channel 8 for my ISU info and hopefully all 3 networks will have the same info which is better for ISU and the community.

Either way for now is does not change my view from my post. What I do want to say is I have seen with my own eyes KToww and other channel 6 workers be the best ISU fans they can be. They know how to tailgate and give support like any other die hard fan. And for that I tip my hat.

Latest posts

Back