• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Kramer lost this one

BengalSapper

4th and 6" you go for it. ISU lost this game because the coach did not roll the dice. This makes other teams and fans think that the coach does not have faith in his offense. If you go for it and don’t get it you are still in OK position. If you get it you win. This is the kind of mistake that cannot be made by the coaching staff. We lost we lose momentum for the Montana game we lose fans and support from the community.

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

I thought the Bengals would go for it also. On the post-game show, Kramer said it is a no-brainer, in that spot, you punt and hope to pin the other team deep.

I think it was 4th and 1.

Why doesn't the team have a damn goaline set? We can't get a TD with 1st and goal from inside the 2 yard line - two games in a row. So frustrating.

Rush defense needs to improve. Portland St just ran for 436 yards and 6 TD on us. Ouch..

It would seem that the QB could get in a pro-set and just follow the center into the line and score --PSU's stop when the Bengals had the ball on 6 inch line was huge (we ended up with a field goal). Not sure, why we run out of the shot gun on short yardage situations.

Kramer didn't lose the game. This isn't Madden, this is real football. I would have loved to have the win, but the bottom line is we are improving and I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed the lack of playing time that Basim Hudeen#8 has been facing? Kramer said on Feb. 4, that after his evaluation of the defense that AJ wasn't the best LB on the team but Basim Hudeen was. Basim was also rated as the 6th LB in the bigsky conference but yet he is getting less time than any of the LB's.If AJ or Basim is best shouldn't matter, why aren't they both on the field at the same time, all game long? This kid is a redshift SR, I saw what he bought to the team last year, don't tell me that there is any LB on the team that is hands down better than he is, so why??? Please keep your opinions honest and real!

Very painful loss. I'm not sure why ISU puts in a shotgun formation when it's 4th and a few inches; it does seem silly! But OC Don Bailey has to have a reason for doing it. My personal opinion is that if the longsnapper would have just made a decent snap, then we probably would have went on and won the game.

Ok Kramer I love you but own up to it this was trhe worst call in Big Sky Conference history. You are trying to build a program with 8000 + people in the stands and you take a penalty on 4th and less than 1 on the 35. Call time out and think about it, the officials were right in your face thinking you are calling time out with 1 second left. Hell even a field goal try would have been better than what you did. You said this was the last time you would waste a scholarship on a kicker yet you put the game in the hands of a long snapper who has had problems and a punter. Can you not take some lineman and do a refrigerator Perry formation on short yardage. Hell put Yost under center and sneak it, I could have lived with that if we didn't make it but this finish was just terrible!!

spudbowl said:
I thought the Bengals would go for it also. On the post-game show, Kramer said it is a no-brainer, in that spot, you punt and hope to pin the other team deep.

You punt when your D has been stopping the other team consistently. ISU had not stopped PSU. If you go under center and "scrum" the ball for the 1st you have a better chance of avoiding the costly play. Bad snap a good punt return costly penalty. The offense is the better weapon at this time for ISU. The D needs to go back and learn how to defend the option. The D bit on the fake every time. ISU has to control the corners and "box" the offense in.

:evil: :evil: :twocents:

tigerpaw said:
Ok Kramer I love you but own up to it this was trhe worst call in Big Sky Conference history. You are trying to build a program with 8000 + people in the stands and you take a penalty on 4th and less than 1 on the 35. Call time out and think about it, the officials were right in your face thinking you are calling time out with 1 second left. Hell even a field goal try would have been better than what you did. You said this was the last time you would waste a scholarship on a kicker yet you put the game in the hands of a long snapper who has had problems and a punter. Can you not take some lineman and do a refrigerator Perry formation on short yardage. Hell put Yost under center and sneak it, I could have lived with that if we didn't make it but this finish was just terrible!!

Yup. I totally disagree with Kramer's assessment. In my mind, it's a no brainer... you line up under center, and lean forward six inches, and win the game. If you don't get it, they have 65 yds to go. If you get it, the game is over right there. I think he's a great fit for the ISU program and a very very good coach... but I totally disagree with his philosophy in that particular situation.

BengalSapper said:
The D needs to go back and learn how to defend the option. The D bit on the fake every time. ISU has to control the corners and "box" the offense in.

Absolutely. It seemed like the D-ends crashed into the middle on every single fake out of that spread option, leaving that side of the field open for the QB to run all over the place.

Singlewing: Actually, the 4th down play was on the 50 yard line so if we did not make it, PSU would have 50 yards to go (not 65 yards). I thought Kramer would gamble a bit with this year and take some chances. I was really surprised when we took the penalty with the delay of the game. I assumed we were running the clock down, would take a time out and then go for it. I was also surprised that PSU did not go for a 2 point conversion more often then they did. A really disappointing loss and the easiest part of our season is now over. Bengal fans are going to have to be patient because wins are going to be tough the rest of this season. I predicted that ISU would beat PSU earlier but I did not know that PSU had improved so. Remember that Kramer was 0-11 in his first year at MSU and then year 2 won it all. I know it is fun to raise expectations and I really enjoyed the first three home games but there is a A LOT of rebuilding to do in this program.

I find it invigorating that we are on here talking about a few plays that spell the difference between winning and losing. I disagree with some of the calls, but I am very excited about the direction this program is going. We haven't been able to talk about games this way for the past three or so seasons.

Some food for thought. ISU had now played competitive football against two of the teams that absolutely trashed them last season. Plus, they rocked Northern Colorado a 40+ point swing over last season. Next, the Bengals are not folding it up and heading home at the first sign of adversity. This team today dug themselves out of holes on a number of occasions. I like the fight and resolve.

Less I remind you that ISU is down 13-14 scholarship kids that are on the team right now that are out do to injury or career ending injuries. Add in another handful because of APR and you realize that this team is competing with very little depth.

My point, this team is way better right now than any of us could believe. I like the direction of the program.

I think they beat Montana next week, really I do.

Yes, given our inability to stop PSU, the decision not to go for it was a bad one. Still, I totally agree with Cub. Lots to be excited about where we are headed.

MMM, I guess we can be Monday morning quarterbacks here, do you remember what last year was like. The team would have given up in the third quarter and would not have dugged themselves out of any holes. Coach K has been around for a awhile I have faith in him. I guess you can point out things you didn't like but he has this team performing 100% better than last year. If the one touch down that was blown by the officials would have counted that might have changed the game also. I only see the game on 4 small screens, but I can see the intensity that the players have exhibited these last games. Must say the noise and horns were great today, cost PSU a couple of penalties, nice to have that twelfth player in the stands today. We may not win as many games as people think we should but the coaches and players are making it fun to be in the stands and watching them play.
You'll have a great rest of the weekend and see you next week.

KPVI Just posted the news conference from after the game. Kramer was pretty set that the team would never go for it in that situation.

http://www.kpvi.com/content/sports/story/Homecoming-Heartbreak-at-Holt/g1uluF6oOkygBnjUw7qr7w.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was a tough one to watch today. I walked out of Holt feeling like we REALLY let one slip away.

spudbowl said:
Singlewing: Actually, the 4th down play was on the 50 yard line so if we did not make it, PSU would have 50 yards to go (not 65 yards).

Are you sure? I thought it was around the 35 (maybe between the 35 and 40) and that was why they took the delay of game penalty... I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Just making sure my brain isn't failing me :D

For what it's worth, I am very excited about the direction of the program. Very excited to have Kramer at the helm. This program appears to be turning in the right direction! A huge difference from the last few years!

I will always disagree with not going for it on 4th and inches in the other team's territory (if that is indeed true) when we would have the ability to basically run the clock out with a 1st down... but I'm not a college head coach, so that doesn't mean all that much!

*Edit*: I got curious and looked at the play by play on espn.com. They show us on the PSU 36 before taking the delay of game penalty. A little long for a FG, but still in good shape if we don't get the few inches. Basically a game winner if we can gain the short yardage.

Showing my lack of coaching knowledge and rule understanding, but I bet someone here knows...

When PSU committed that penalty on their last drive, I take it the clock does not stop in that situation? Or at least it stops and then starts again once the ball is set? I know they announced that we had taken a timeout there and I was surprised because I thought that the penalty had stopped the clock. Did it not stop because we declined the penalty?

Singlewing said:
spudbowl said:
Singlewing: Actually, the 4th down play was on the 50 yard line so if we did not make it, PSU would have 50 yards to go (not 65 yards).

Are you sure? I thought it was around the 35 (maybe between the 35 and 40) and that was why they took the delay of game penalty... I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Just making sure my brain isn't failing me :D

*Edit*: I got curious and looked at the play by play on espn.com. They show us on the PSU 36 before taking the delay of game penalty. A little long for a FG, but still in good shape if we don't get the few inches. Basically a game winner if we can gain the short yardage.

The ball was on the 35 yard line. I was there. I saw it.

Latest posts

Back