• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Lack of depth at WR.

bengalcub

I have been hearing that ISU only has five available WR's going into spring practice. That number may be down to 2-3--with injuries and OTHER things.

Not a good way to start things off with a new OC and a new scheme.

ISU is going to need to go after some WR's between now and the start of fall ball.

Three are practicing ... Krosch, Benavides, and Burel. Taylor, Rumble, and Senegal are being held out in order for them to concentrate on their academics and get that back in better standing.

ISUSID

I must say after reading Kelvin's blog today', I was disappointed in how many players are being held out of spring ball because of academics.

Rumor has it that Shaq Senegal is going home; He's having trouble w/grades, attitude and who knows what else :cry: If this young man quits college he is going to regret it for many years.

so leaving isu means his life is over? they don't have any colleges where he comes from..? a bit too melodramatic don't you think? if he leaves wish him well....

CAL BENGAL FAN said:
Rumor has it that Shaq Senegal is going home; He's having trouble w/grades, attitude and who knows what else :cry: If this young man quits college he is going to regret it for many years.

I have heard the same about Senegal. I think he will regret it too--from a football standpoint, but even more because of the arrogance and selfishness that he has shown to his team. The kid needs to get his attitude in check--and I will bet that he will. Losing him sucks, but I wish him well.

I am a bit stressed about the number of kids sitting out for academic reasons. But, I would agree that having them focus on academics would be the best thing. ISU cannot afford kids to go ineligible and end up leaving.

The WR problem could end up being huge, but maybe some of the RB's--Scott and Tracy can make the temporary move to slot to help out with numbers. The positive thing--WR are a dime a dozen and they can get serviceable WR's late from the JC ranks.

Who recruited him?
We should've known this about him prior to him coming to ISU.
Dot all the I's and cross all the T's.
It is not typical that a kid just 'develops' this type of behavior and attitude after his first year at a D1 school.
The bad attitude was more than likely there already.

On the flip side, many kids are used to winning and have a problem adjusting in a non-winning program.
If you don't recruit the type of kid who can see thru that AND wants AND takes pride in helping a program develop into a winner AND thinks he can AND will make a difference.........then this is the situation that you are faced with.

Actually kids develop that type of behavior more than you think...that being said i don't know if he showed anything like that prior to. As far as I know he is still on the team so the whole leaving thing might just be premature.

I will say this, the new academic controls put into place as part of our department-wide plan to help with APR will prevent some of this in the future (we hope) in that borderline kids can't even get official visits and things without prior approval and a full academic plan for a ... well, poor words here, but an "APR Risk student-athlete" if that makes sense.

It's nothing Weber State and Montana State aren't doing in their efforts to improve their APR score, and we shall see how this goes, probably not in the next numbers, but the one's after that (so in like 17 months...)

The adjusting to a non-winning program after being in a winning program definitely can and does happen. You hope that a kid takes the attitude of "we can fix this" instead of "I'm just gonna get mine" ... kinda like Remember the Titans...

FYI, I tried a little video report on spring ball with the new coaches....let me know what you guys think. Went outside the box a little bit.

ISUSID

From what I understand yes...basically they have an issue with percentages or with hours passed, and instead of practicing, they are to deal with class time so that they can be eligible in the fall. They still do the lifting and meetings and stuff, it's just the actual practice.

ISUSID

Good policy. The thing I like about the basketball team is all of the seniors are graduating this spring or shortly thereafter.

Senegal and Tubotein Taylor are hitting the trail. Both were not participating in spring ball to concentrate on academics. That would leave WR's--Krosch, Burel and Benavides as the only holdover WR's from last season. One, two--three total. Remeber, Burel and Benavides were both lost with season ending injuries.

Wow! Something is going on. I know that guys leave for the proverbial 'personal reasons or lost the love', but this seems more than that. So many academic issues. Guys leaving each week. What is the cause of this disenfranchising and attrition?

I have not been told that either of those two (Taylor or Shaq) have left the team. It's a catch 22 with the academic thing...you want to hold them out so they understand the consequences of their actions and hold them accountable and help with the APR stuff, but if they leave...well, that doesn't help either. The real hope is the other guys see it, and realize that we are for real on going to class, getting your grades up and representing ISU.

ISU

Do we not look at a kids academic success when we recruit them? Because its seems like we have a lot of guys that can not participate this spring

I guess maybe these kids were pissed about not being allowed to participate in spring practices. Maybe before the end of the semester the coaches can persuade them both to comeback—who knows, but I doubt it.

I’ll say it again, make incoming FR room with upper classman as much as possible. Give them mentors—if they don’t have them and one leaves—you lose more in the group. People tend to run with similar people and if their support group or closest friend or friends leave they tend to leave as well.

It’s almost eerie how predictable this pattern is.

Cub,

Maybe I can shed some light on part of the exodus occurring. Look at three of the kids that have left this Spring. Clint Brock, Ben LaPorta, Nick Tramner. Not sure about Nick, but he has been fighting injuries the last couple seasons, but had the heart of a lion. Why leave now? Ben and Clint left for Academic reasons, but not the usual kind. Both were concerned about their Academic performance and felt they were not getting suppport from the coaching staff. Clint was concerned that, being recently married, and only on a partial scholarship, he would need some slack in conditioning and workouts so he could work and study. Whitworth was fairly obnoxious to him, so he quit. Ben had several instances when he went to Whitworth with concerns about classes and was told he was sweating his Academics too much. Two illustrations. Prior to the Weber State game last year, Ben was concerned about a Psychology test he had the day before the game. He asked Whitworth if he could get off early from practice one day so he could study. Not only did he not get any time off, he got royally chewed out, and was held out of the Weber game until cleanup duty in the fourth quarter. Just a couple of weeks ago, he went in to talk to Whitwoorth about his feelings for the upcoming Spring ball. He was again told that he sweated his Academics too much and that it didn't matter if you graduated with an A or a C, the diploma was all that mattered. This is the kind of attitude players concerned about Academic performance are getting from some coaches.

As far as the other Academic problems, I understand there were 38 kids on the D and F list this Spring. I can see why therre are so many if the coaches' attitude with regard to Academics is to do only enough to remain eligible and no more. There is no room for error and some of these guys need all the help they can get. Look at some of the Academic non-performers who will hurt the team when it comes to APR. Kenny Visor, Jeremy Gibson, and Sengal and Taylor if they decide to leave.

Despite appearances, I believe the coaches care only enough about Academic to keep players eligible, and that attitude is coming home to roost. They are losing players at both ends of the spectrum.

Latest posts

Back