• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Last chance this year

Skippy

To see ET and friends as the Bengals host Montana State tonight at Reed. Say goodbye to seniors Evan Hall and Ben Wilson, and come see the best freshman in the conference in MSU's Tyler Hall. Should be another fun game. Join us.

It's been a fun season full of pleasant surprises. Now, we go expecting to win rather than hoping to win. The Bengals are competitive and we can only build on this year's success. Well done! Let's finish off with another win. Go Bengals!

Hey Bill, maybe you could catch a ride to and from Poky with the MSU team.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/basketball-mens/turkish-terror-bombing-hits-home-for-msu-s-gobeloglu/article_8c5db2d9-2297-54ad-90c3-2191e789b6f2.html

P.S. Maybe somebody could take the time tonight to explain to the Montana State coach how to make a hotel reservation in advance.

That's funny! That clown tried to pawn it off on ISU, like it's our fault they failed to plan ahead.. Makes me want to beat them that much more!

I'm going to go on the record and say that in my 30+ years as a Bengal fan, Ethan Telfair is the best point guard I've ever seen come out of here. He is electric, and has transformed this team into a contender. I think the Bengals will win 20 games next year and he and Geno will be the most dynamic pair from Idaho St. in a long time. Great game and atmosphere tonight! Great win!

Another remarkable performance by ET, who is definitely the best PG I've seen at ISU in my 37 years of following Bengals hoops. And what an awesome interview he gave us on the post game show last night. A truly humble and well-spoken young man. I also loved that Geno Luzcando, despite struggling most of the night, came up with two huge steals in crunch time. Great win for the program. Next step is to learn to beat good teams on the road. ISU gets two chances next week at Eastern Washington and Idaho. Go Bengals.
Ps--women's team lost a heartbreaker to first place MSU, losing in OT 82-80 after holding a four point lead with 15 seconds left in regulation. It's been that kind of year for the women.

The last time I saw a player on ISU that could dominate a game like ET it was Lawrence Butler. Butler and ET are very different types of players but I get the sense with ET that I am watching somebody very special just like Butler.

Amazing how talent can make a team look so much better. The ability of both our guards to both shoot the 3 and take the ball to the basket has opened up all types of possibilities on the offense. All of our main players have improved over the course of the year. Gary C, Lennox, Novak T., Nakken have all made significant contributions and improvements. Players like Nakken, Lennox, and Nakken all play important roles and play them well. Ingram has really improved at the post. Wilson has become a much better shooter this year and plays better in the 4 slot. I really, really like this team and I was very critical of it in November and December (so I am eating crow).

Reno will be interesting.

spudbowl said:
I really, really like this team and I was very critical of it in November and December (so I am eating crow).

Ditto. And I'm gladly eating every last piece of crow!

Brad referenced the heartache the women's team is going through. The numbers bear this out:

* ISU has played 11 games this season decided by four points or less. (ISU is 5-6)
Have lost four straight decided by four points or less.

* ISU has played 10 games this season decided by three points or less. (ISU is 4-6)
Have lost four straight decided by three points or less.

* ISU has played seven games this season decided by two points or less. (ISU is 3-4)
Have lost two straight decided by two points or less.

* ISU has played five games decided by a single point. (ISU is 3-2)
Have lost one straight decided by a single point.

* ISU is 0-1 in overtime games this season.

Little things always play big roles in close games...making free throws, not making unforced turnover errors and hitting open layup's. They add up and ISU has been hurt in those areas a lot this year.

PBP

PBP: what was your sense of why MSU's women shot 54 free throws last night? Was ISU that physical?

I saw the second half on Big Sky TV and listened to your call on KISU. You could just see them losing another lead down the stretch after playing so well. They could be a dangerous team in the tourney because they are much better than their record. They will be good next year for sure.

As it sits, the women will most likely play Northern Colorado, then if they win that, they will play Montana State again. (Or Eastern Washington or Idaho). If I was facing Idaho State in the second round, I would be pretty nervous. With losing SO many games but just a few points, they are a threat to upset some teams. And hopefully the tides will start to turn for them, and they start to pull off the close games they have in the playoffs

http://collegecourtreport.com/award-season/mid-major-player-of-the-year-fan-vote/
PLEASE GO TO THIS WEBSITE, REGISTER AND VOTE FOR ETHAN AND IDAHO STATE

spudbowl said:
PBP: what was your sense of why MSU's women shot 54 free throws last night? Was ISU that physical?

I saw the second half on Big Sky TV and listened to your call on KISU. You could just see them losing another lead down the stretch after playing so well. They could be a dangerous team in the tourney because they are much better than their record. They will be good next year for sure.

Spud:

I did not think ISU was that physical myself. I can't explain the majority of the calls against them. I do know they had 10...repeat 10 fouls called on them in the first quarter alone. The 54 free throws shot by Montana State and the 41 made free throws both are the second most in a single game in the history of the Big Sky Conference.

Maybe you need to ask the three officials what was going through their minds?

I know I was speaking to some Bozeman reporters after the game and they thought the officiating was very bad for whatever that's worth to you.

And the only way I honestly can explain this season is simply bad karma and bad luck. They have been getting beat for the most part not by the 'stars' but by bench /role players who are having the game of their lives against ISU.

Examples were Delany Junkermeier who averaged 5.5. points a game this year...she drops 11 last night including a deep game tying three with a hand in her face and the clock running out; NAU's Chanel Preston who was averaging 2.5 points per game yet got 11 against ISU and No. Dakota's combo of Kelsey Knox and Jill Morton who together were averaging about six points a game...they got 19 combined against ISU in Pocatello.

Sometimes there's simply nothing you can do no matter how hard you try to reverse bad luck. And yes I honestly believe teams go through those things. For these kids this year it started EXACTLY like with the football team, you lose two starters, two major contributors before the first game is even played and it builds from there.

Hopefully next year, with more depth, more experience and maybe an injury free season for a change, their luck will be better. I do know this, I've seen next year's Big Sky Conference preliminary schedule and with the unbalanced format ISU has gotten about the most difficult schedule you can get, starting with five of the first seven games on the road beginning with the Montana's.

PBP

BengalBannMan said:
As it sits, the women will most likely play Northern Colorado, then if they win that, they will play Montana State again. (Or Eastern Washington or Idaho). If I was facing Idaho State in the second round, I would be pretty nervous. With losing SO many games but just a few points, they are a threat to upset some teams. And hopefully the tides will start to turn for them, and they start to pull off the close games they have in the playoffs

Bengal:

At this point I simply hope they use as motivation the fact that they lost both games to UNC by a total of three points, had them beat both times and take it to them Monday.

I'll worry about the second round after they get through the first round. They way this season has gone I've given up trying to predict what may happen or should happen...that just doesn't apply to this team this season.

PBP

Evans has been phenomenal this year, and even though I know it won't happen, he should be coach of the year.

The women's team leaves me shrugging my shoulders. I think they have to win both games next week in order to avoid their 3rd losing season in a row. I know they've had some hard luck this year, but at what point does this trend become worrisome? When was the last time the women's team had 3 losing seasons in a row?

Spudhead said:
The women's team leaves me shrugging my shoulders. I think they have to win both games next week in order to avoid their 3rd losing season in a row. I know they've had some hard luck this year, but at what point does this trend become worrisome? When was the last time the women's team had 3 losing seasons in a row?

Spud:

I'm assuming you mean a winning record for the entire season and not just the Big Sky portion of the schedule? To answer your question it's from 1993-94 through 1995-96.

Keep in mind a few things though when judging the situation.

1. Because ISU has to play "money games" the odds of having a winning season are a lot less. Usually you are pretty much guaranteeing yourself two or three (sometimes more) losses right off the top because of who you are playing and doing so on the road. Now to be fair ISU has also won some of those games which says something about the program the last few years.

2. ISU has played the fewest home games in the Big Sky Conference over the last six completed seasons. They also have the second highest home winning percentage in the conference over the time period which also says something. Montana for example has by far played the most home games in that time. They can cherry pick a schedule loaded with home games which increases their chances of having a winning season...and they can afford to pay teams to come to Missoula. Also they also host their own tournament every year which usually means a guaranteed two wins again because they cherry pick who they want to invite. In an average season Montana is usually playing 17 or 18 home games. ISU has averaged 13 in that same time span. Big difference.

3. To give you an example here are some of the teams ISU has played in non conference over the past six full seasons and this year: Kansas St., Kansas, Boise St., Nebraska, Arizona St., Texas El-Paso, So. Florida, Utah St., Utah, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma St., Drake, Iowa, Washington St., Gonzaga, San Diego St., Houston, Northwestern and Michigan St. Hard to have a winning season consistently when you are playing those type opponents.

4. The last three straight seasons (including this year) ISU has suffered multiple serious injuries to players which caused them to miss either the entire season or significant portions of it. ISU is not Kentucky where the 10th player on the team can start for 90% of the schools in the country or like at Alabama in football where the third string running back is in the same situation as my Kentucky example.

Here is who ISU lost in that time period:

2015-16 season: Grace Kenyon (ACL), Megan Hochstein (Torn Labrum), Sai Tapasa (recovering from two ACL surgeries)

2014-15 season: Kyndall Adams (Disc Injury), Jenna Morch (ACL), Freya Newton (recovering from two ACL surgeries)

2013-14 season: Jasmine Lemon (Shoulder Injury, Knee Injury), Grace Kenyon (ACL), Lindsay Brown (ACL)

Not trying to make excuses... just stating the facts. Hard to win when you haven't had a full compliment of talented players. Again that's the "luck" factor and frankly ISU hasn't had it in the health category for the past three years.

The money games / home games situation... well it always seems to come down to finances doesn't it?

PBP

PBP said:
Brad referenced the heartache the women's team is going through. The numbers bear this out:

* ISU has played 11 games this season decided by four points or less. (ISU is 5-6)
Have lost four straight decided by four points or less.

* ISU has played 10 games this season decided by three points or less. (ISU is 4-6)
Have lost four straight decided by three points or less.

* ISU has played seven games this season decided by two points or less. (ISU is 3-4)
Have lost two straight decided by two points or less.

* ISU has played five games decided by a single point. (ISU is 3-2)
Have lost one straight decided by a single point.

* ISU is 0-1 in overtime games this season.

Little things always play big roles in close games...making free throws, not making unforced turnover errors and hitting open layup's. They add up and ISU has been hurt in those areas a lot this year.

PBP

A lot of your loss in Bozeman was on Sobolewksi, though. Someone should have fouled an MSU player right after they came into the front court on that last possession of regulation.

MVEN:

That's an interesting point. Never thought of it. They would have had two free throw chances and assuming they made them, press and if needed foul ISU. Don't remember what the timeout situation was, I don't think either team had any remaining.

And a lot of your post would have to depend on the timing of the foul, i.e. how much time would be left.

I may ask about that Wednesday just out of curiosity.

PBP

Latest posts

Back