• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Let's See Some Games

bill_idaflls

While listening to ISU's win over UMKC last night, I was thinking about how great that would have been to have seen the game in Holt Arena. It was fun to hear and I liked how the team pulled together in the second half. Every player made a contribution in coming from behind to win. Congrats to the each team member and the coaches for finishing strong.

Then, I thought about our empty arena for most of November until December 28. I think you build a fan base by providing them something to see and experience. Excluding the exhibition games, this season starts with ten road games and two home games--one in Holt. Of those two, only Boise State is a Division 1 team. I'd just like ISU fans to see more games before the BSC games begin.

I agree with you. However, O'Brien brought Washington State in two years ago, BYU, Utah and Utah State all last year. The attendance for those games were just okay. It must be tough to bring teams to Poky since we don't have an airport that brings in jets --teams have to fly to SLC and bus to Poky. It would be nice to play BSU, USU, even Utah Valley each year at home since all three teams are close to Pocatello. I think that your post raises another problem with trying to play big time basketball in Pocatello. We have gone backwards, thirty years ago Louisville and UNLV both played regular season games in the dome (not to mention the three NCAA tourney first round games that ISU hosted). Now, Boise is the center of the state's sports, cultural, business, sectors. Poky is has retreated to the 1950s.

The 2 for 1 didn't work out very well for ISU.... going 1-8 in these matchups. Attendance wasn't great either; I think you could make the case that a home game vs. Southern Utah wouldn't have been much worse, especially since ISU's record was several games below 0.500. IMO, ISU sould play the following programs every year on a home and home arrangement: Idaho, Boise State, Southern Utah, and Utah Valley. Add home and home arrangments with Denver, Seattle, Portland, and anyone from the Big West.

Home games of interest for 2004-2009:

USU (2004) 2,544, L
Boise State (2004) 2,243, L

UVU (2005) 1,412, W
Portland (2005) 1,536, L
Idaho (2005) 1,736, W
Southern Utah (2005) 1,737, L

UVU (2006) 1,592, W
Boise State (2006) 2,388, W
NDSU (2006) 2,124, W

Idaho (2007) 3,009, W
UC Davis (2007) 3,114, W
UVU (2007) 1,872, W

Boise State (2008) 2,883, L
Washington State (2008) 2,241, L

LBSU (2009) 2,015 L
BYU (2009) 4,374 L
Utah (2009) 2,816 W
Utah State (2009) 2,976 L
Idaho (2009) 2,438 W

BioBengal is probably right. Unfortunately, there is a very limited fan-base in Pocatello even to see major college teams like Washington State (a top ten team when they visited Holt albeit right before Christmas).
I agree with playing the regional teams and we need more home games. Then again, O'Brien has to bring in a bunch of money so he has to schedule a lot of money games on the road.

Back