• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Letter to editor: BSU fan says drop FB?

biobengal

I heard there was a letter to the editor from a Bronco fan in Boise. Apparently, it said ISU should drop football and give the money to BSU. Can someone post a copy of this?

For this very reason is why I can't stand BSU.. Why would this toolbag think the money would be set aside for BSU? Typical fan of BSU. Most people think, 'Well you're from Idaho, you should love Boise.." No. I never went to school there, and no one in my family has ever gone there. I think it would be soo hilarious and sweet justice for all the BS that Kustra spewed out, if Idaho beat them up in Moscow, crushing all their precious dreams, and snapping them back to reality.. However, it wouldn't snap them back, they would still believe that they are 1 of 5 or so elite teams in the nation..

ISU FOOTBALL
It would sure be nice if Idaho State University would drop football completely. There was an article in last Monday, Oct 11, 2010, about ISU’s offense showing signs of life! Give me a break!
ISU played some junior high school for their first game so they could get their one win of the year without having to wait for the last game, like they did the last two years. Fire the entire coaching staff and just pull the plug on this thing. What an embarrassment! The state should take money for ISU football and give it to Bose State to expand its stadium. At least they know how to represent the state of Idaho.
Richard K. Carlson,
Boise

heckler said:
ISU FOOTBALL
It would sure be nice if Idaho State University would drop football completely. There was an article in last Monday, Oct 11, 2010, about ISU’s offense showing signs of life! Give me a break! ISU played some junior high school for their first game so they could get their one win of the year without having to wait for the last game, like they did the last two years. Fire the entire coaching staff and just pull the plug on this thing. What an embarrassment! The state should take money for ISU football and give it to Bose State to expand its stadium. At least they know how to represent the state of Idaho.
Richard K. Carlson,
Boise

Kind of what I was expecting. Oh, and Mr. Carlson, speaking of representing, way to represent Boise (COU to Vandal fans) and the entire Boise State University community to southeast Idaho.

Hopefully Tingey hears the drum beat..... it's getting louder.

This guy's are real gem. He makes himself look like a buffoon. But every fan base has these types "fans". The Bengals are not immune to these types, either. But I try to be careful so I don't paint every Bengal, Bronco or Vandal fan for that matter, with the same brush.

spazdog1 said:
This guy's are real gem. He makes himself look like a buffoon. But every fan base has these types "fans". The Bengals are not immune to these types, either. But I try to be careful so I don't paint every Bengal, Bronco or Vandal fan for that matter, with the same brush.

That's very reasonable, but is that all there is to it? First, I'm led to believe that success takes many things in tow and IMO, this attitude may be one of them. Just so we're clear on things, I'm obviously *generalizing* for which I'm unapologetic. Second, I've seen this attitude often enough; for years I lived in boom-town Meridian and I couldn't identify someone on my block who lived in Idaho for more than a decade. This phenomena breeds a certain ignorance about the rest of the state. That.. is my hypothesis. :lol:

Yeah but BSU seems to have that kind of fan as the majority of their fanbase. A lot of the Bronco fans I've talked to have a lack of knowledge about college football. Even Alabama fans, for their insanity, are great to talk to about college football because they know and respect other people's traditions. Not Bronco fans. Utter lack of respect and knowledge about college football in general. Bronco fans in general are fairly boorish; they think 2 bowl games has made them God's gift to college football. They talk all the time about being big boys and yet they keep playing the underdog card.

Favorite quote from a BSU fan concerning the goals of the Broncos this year, on a Facebook page:

"...Oh we're going farther than GLENDALE!!!"

Everyone's response: "...um, the title game IS Glendale..."

And yes, it would be great if Idaho beats them in the Kibbie Dome this year. In fact, I've had that game called since September. I have said to anyone who will listen, if BSU is going to be upset, it will be at the hands of Idaho as a going-away gift. It's a perfect trap game.

Hating Boise State is in my blood. Half my family graduated from ISU, the other half graduated from Idaho. I mean, I do respect BSU's football team and I respect their coaches. But, in the words of my fellow BigTen friends and various people around the nation...

"Boise is a good story that's being ruined by their jackass fans"

biobengal said:
spazdog1 said:

That's very reasonable, but is that all there is to it? First, I'm led to believe that success takes many things in tow and IMO, this attitude may be one of them. Just so we're clear on things, I'm obviously *generalizing* for which I'm unapologetic. Second, I've seen this attitude often enough; for years I lived in boom-town Meridian and I couldn't identify someone on my block who lived in Idaho for more than a decade. This phenomena breeds a certain ignorance about the rest of the state. That.. is my hypothesis. :lol:

I have no problem agreeing with you regarding the people's instinct to flock to success. I, too have seen the attitude among some Bronco fans. But, I believe the over zealous few seem to be better remembered by the masses. That is the problem with generalizations. Many of the BSU bandwagon fans are as you have stated. But many fans are respectful to ISU and the Bengals. There is a BIG difference.

As you can see, I also live in Meridian in a subdivision that busted its seams about 5 to 6 years ago when it seemed that everyone was migrating to Meridian. I am a native Idahoan and have lived in the Treasure Valley for more than 30 years. Like you stated, there are a number of my neighbors that were not living in Idaho 5 to 6 years ago. But, there are also a large number long time area residents who are Bronco fans that moved like I did from Boise to Meridian, Eagle or Star for example. I guess your neighborhood is different than mine.

Frankly, I haven't witnessed anyone dissing the Bengals. Many are apathetic toward ISU but there are a number that hold ISU with nothing but respect as a university. I have seen and experienced the Bronco/Vandal squabble. Let me give you an example from a long time Idaho family in our neighborhood... I was visiting with a neighbor who happened to be a Vandal grad. Nice guy. No bantering from me to him or him to me. His 30-something son, a Vandal as well, shows up. My neighbor introduces him to me. I extend my hand to shake the son's but he doesn't extend his. He looked at my Bronco hat and said something like, "I don't shake hands with a Bronco" and went on his way. I say this knowing that some Bronco clown has acted the same toward a Vandal. That's more common place than the attitude displayed by the moron who wrote the letter to the newspaper, at least from my perspective.

I thought boise fans couldn't become any less intelligent and then I read that post and im totally blown away. I cheer for Boise States opponent every week and will continue to do so. Why because fans like carlson

Funny. That's what BSU fans have been saying about U of I too. The fan base there has turned into a bunch of shortsighted simple minded football zombies. They seem to see only in the present with no actual view of the big picture or what actually constitutes a real university. Sure ISU has had success in the past, but that was before "football history" started. I suppose that's what happens when you jump on a bandwagon and have only seen "your team" lose 3 games in its "history."

Singlewing said:
Funny. That's what BSU fans have been saying about U of I too. The fan base there has turned into a bunch of shortsighted simple minded football zombies. They seem to see only in the present with no actual view of the big picture or what actually constitutes a real university. Sure ISU has had success in the past, but that was before "football history" started. I suppose that's what happens when you jump on a bandwagon and have only seen "your team" lose 3 games in its "history."

Easy there folks, this is one guy.

I'm another guy, a double BSU grad and huge BSU fan and I say ISU and Idaho need to keep football.You are leaping to conclusions, and look as stupid as this guy that wrote the letter.

There was a subject on the Bronco Board about how BSU fans need to organize a fan bus to come and to and ISU football game this year to support the Bengals.

I have yet to see anything that resembles this type of support for BSU from ISU or Idaho.

QB: I appreciate your attitude. First, please tell the BSU fans to NOT go to Poky for an ISU game this year. Please. It's a nice gesture but we don't want you to come our house right now, it's in disarray.

Second, there are BSU fans all over Poky and ISU. Most ISU fans want to root for BSU and we do. Our Idaho pride kicks in and BSU is a team that all of Idaho should be incredibly proud of. Yet, there are the BSU fans (many bandwagoners) who just dump on anything not BSU related (UI, ISU). I wonder how many of these BSU fans that dump on ISU are native Idahoans? It's the loud few that ruin it for all BSU fans (very similar to Montana fans, most are great, the bad ones, whew).

Third, and more importantly, do you have a young assistant coach who would like to come to Poky and share the Bronco magic? Now that would improve ISU-BSU relations immensely.

Spaz, once again, that was a very reasonable argument. Certainly, some on here have taken this just a touch too far. However, is it possible, could there be some truth to the argument that Ada County (Boise and Boise State in particular) could care less about how the rest of the state works. You said yourself that most folks are apathetic towards ISU. IMO, it's a short hop from apathetic to the following quote from a candidate running to represent the district surrounding Boise state:

“Boise State has one of the best football programs in America and, without question, the best in Idaho,” said Loughrey, who is running for the District 17B House seat. “Academically, there’s a far different perception.”

Loughrey said Boise State needs to be recognized as the No. 1 university in the state — funding-wise and otherwise. BSU needs to be to Idaho what the University of Nebraska, University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin are to their respective states.

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/09/08/krichert/legislative_candidate_bsu_should_be_idahos_flagship_university#ixzz12x61et6s

No, I believe this is systematic, it reflects a population base that is ignorant (perhaps Spaz's use of apathetic is better) about the rest of the state, its institutions and its history. There are many other examples such as this.... if I have a bit more free time this weekend I'll dig them up.

qb said:
Singlewing said:

Easy there folks, this is one guy.

I'm another guy, a double BSU grad and huge BSU fan and I say ISU and Idaho need to keep football.You are leaping to conclusions, and look as stupid as this guy that wrote the letter.

There was a subject on the Bronco Board about how BSU fans need to organize a fan bus to come and to and ISU football game this year to support the Bengals.

I have yet to see anything that resembles this type of support for BSU from ISU or Idaho.

My apologies... but to call me as stupid as a BSU fan? That's a little low. After all, we're talking about fans who have flat out bet me that BSU has not lost more than 10 games since joining FBS/1a... ;)

Yet again, you all are wrong on much of the fan base. BSU in general has a positive feelings for the ISU Bengals. You are just wrong if you think otherwise. Yes there are fans who don't know everything about thier program, or they are bandwagon fans, or even those that even thump their chests too much. I live in Poky now and there are tons of ISU alumns/fans that can tell you how many games we've won and can't even clap/cheer at games. I find myself standing up at the Dome to chear, nearly by myself. Yep thats right, this BSU alum is one of ISU's best fans.

I suppose if you wan't to insult the fanbase, and the school, you can make the BSU an enemy, but I assure you there is much more ill will towards BSU from ISU than vice versa.

It would be a good move if we could all be a little more positive about all of our state institutions.

Gotta respond to this one.

I have lived in the Meridian/Boise area since 2001. I have found Boise State fans to be generally supportive of ISU. I don't hear ISU hate and I rarely if ever hear someone suggest that ISU needs to drop football.

I tried to force myself into being more of a Bronco fan, but it just doesn't work for me. I simply do not get the same happiness from being a Bronco supporter. With that said, Boise State and Idaho are my two favorite teams outside of ISU. I want to see them both be successful, well I want to see all three of us be successful. I do enjoy watching Boise State and Idaho and I will watch them whenever they don't conflict with an ISU game.

I do get irritated by Bronco Fever. There are so many folks that jumped on board when BSU beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. What really makes me sad is to see all the people that live in the Boise area that grew up in Pocatello that now claim Boise State as the team of choice. I do understand why it happens and the truth is, Idaho State would have its share of fans if they enjoyed some of the same successes on the football field. A BSC championship or a few playoff births would do wonders in Pocatello. In fact, I have coached youth football with a few ISU grads (athletes) who have caught Bronco Fever as well. Both have season tickets to BSU and both only get back to a homecoming game every two or three years.

Idaho State has done a terrible job reaching out to its fans in Boise. They can't even secure a radio station in the Boise valley to carry ISU games. There are so many former Pocatello folks and former athletes that live in the Boise Valley now and ISU does next to nothing in this market to bring them back. Idaho State for the longest time has been horrible about reaching out to alumni. Post cards and newsletters ain't gonna get it done. They need boots on the ground and folks like myself would be glad to help out if Idaho State would put a plan together and ask for help.

Go Bengals!!!
Go Broncos!!!
Go Vandals!!!
Go Big Sky Conference!!!

bengalcub said:
Gotta respond to this one.

I have lived in the Meridian/Boise area since 2001. I have found Boise State fans to be generally supportive of ISU. I don't hear ISU hate and I rarely if ever hear someone suggest that ISU needs to drop football.

I tried to force myself into being more of a Bronco fan, but it just doesn't work for me. I simply do not get the same happiness from being a Bronco supporter. With that said, Boise State and Idaho are my two favorite teams outside of ISU. I want to see them both be successful, well I want to see all three of us be successful. I do enjoy watching Boise State and Idaho and I will watch them whenever they don't conflict with an ISU game.

I do get irritated by Bronco Fever. There are so many folks that jumped on board when BSU beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. What really makes me sad is to see all the people that live in the Boise area that grew up in Pocatello that now claim Boise State as the team of choice. I do understand why it happens and the truth is, Idaho State would have its share of fans if they enjoyed some of the same successes on the football field. A BSC championship or a few playoff births would do wonders in Pocatello. In fact, I have coached youth football with a few ISU grads (athletes) who have caught Bronco Fever as well. Both have season tickets to BSU and both only get back to a homecoming game every two or three years.

Idaho State has done a terrible job reaching out to its fans in Boise. They can't even secure a radio station in the Boise valley to carry ISU games. There are so many former Pocatello folks and former athletes that live in the Boise Valley now and ISU does next to nothing in this market to bring them back. Idaho State for the longest time has been horrible about reaching out to alumni. Post cards and newsletters ain't gonna get it done. They need boots on the ground and folks like myself would be glad to help out if Idaho State would put a plan together and ask for help.

Go Bengals!!!
Go Broncos!!!
Go Vandals!!!
Go Big Sky Conference!!!

+ 1

Latest posts

Back