• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Letter to editor: BSU fan says drop FB?

Come on, I'm not suggesting the fan that has encyclopedic knowledge is the only worthwhile fan. That's ridiculous. My point is that there is a very vocal section of BSU fans that are like the first time mother of a nice and quiet 3 month old, who believes it is now her duty to go into the grocery store and tell the other parents how to raise their teenagers because her 3 month old is so "well behaved."

So of course there's more ill will towards BSU than from BSU. Why would the mother of the 3 month old have any ill will towards the people she is "helping?" She is in her own little world where she believes everyone is just thankful to have her dispensing wisdom. That's not every BSU fan, but I'd say it is the one I seem to encounter most.

Singlewing said:
Come on, I'm not suggesting the fan that has encyclopedic knowledge is the only worthwhile fan. That's ridiculous. My point is that there is a very vocal section of BSU fans that are like the first time mother of a nice and quiet 3 month old, who believes it is now her duty to go into the grocery store and tell the other parents how to raise their teenagers because her 3 month old is so "well behaved."

Well, I think you are playing this up quite a bit to make it seem that this is way of most fans. I understand the comparison you've used, but frankly don't think it is true.

So of course there's more ill will towards BSU than from BSU. Why would the mother of the 3 month old have any ill will towards the people she is "helping?" She is in her own little world where she believes everyone is just thankful to have her dispensing wisdom. That's not every BSU fan, but I'd say it is the one I seem to encounter most.

I sounds like you have deeper issues around BSU (ie. someone treated you bad, you don't like seeing not being able to get ISU gear at the Pocatello Costco). We can agree to disagree.

I don't like BSU or Idaho because I remember them as rivals. I'll watch them when they are TV but I'm more likely rooting for the team they play than for them. I don't see Boise as representing Idaho because they don't. They represent Boise as they always have, now they just have a bunch of band wagon fans who have climbed on the wagon. The issue you run into with Boise fans is most are condensending not vindictive. Most see ISU as the little brother rather than as the older brother who has fallen on hard times which is reality. Boise States administration made a decision many years ago to build strong althletic programs, a policy they followed even to the detriment of the academic side for a while. This policy is now paying off. Academically Boise is the worst school is Idaho, but the people don't know that. More people tie academics to athletics, not recognizing that a winning football team does not mean the academics at the school are strong as well. ISU on the other hand has allowed a division between the academic side and the athletic side. They don't work together or help each other. The reason our athletics are in the shape they are is because of the power base at the school. Any effort to put more money into the athletics is doomed to fail because of the academic side of the university system that does not see the benifit of a strong athletic program. I'm sure that you would find Professor's at Boise who complain about the football team and athletic programs at Boise even though their success benifits there programs as well. The difference; Boise State's Presidents have stayed the path dispite having to battle the academic side. Boise States' academics are now improving and will continue to because of the success of the football team, not dispite it. The short sightedness of ISU's Presidents have led to the problems we face today. Having a bunch of AD's over the past twenty years has not helped either. Bowen liked that becasue no one person could establish a power base to work from. As long as the AD did not have the ear of all the athletic supporters at ISU, Bowen could keep doing what he wanted. That concept could also be applied to the academic side as well. Any division in the athletic programs supporters eroded their power base keeping the athletic support from ever getting strong enough to change policy. Anyone who has been envolved in ISU's or any school for that matter, know that it is a political nightmare. And unless you are willing to and able to play the game, you are doomed to fail.

FORTHALLTECH said:
I don't like BSU or Idaho because I remember them as rivals. I'll watch them when they are TV but I'm more likely rooting for the team they play than for them. I don't see Boise as representing Idaho because they don't. They represent Boise as they always have, now they just have a bunch of band wagon fans who have climbed on the wagon. The issue you run into with Boise fans is most are condensending not vindictive. Most see ISU as the little brother rather than as the older brother who has fallen on hard times which is reality. This is also a problem, Boise State is ISU and Idaho's little brother, but have grown up and done very well for themselves both on the Academic and Athletic side. Boise States administration made a decision many years ago to build strong althletic programs, a policy they followed even to the detriment of the academic side for a while. This policy is now paying off. Academically Boise - In what way? They don't offer the number of programs? They actually even have better programs in some areas than Idaho or ISU, and some not as good. is the worst school is Idaho, but the people don't know that. More people tie academics to athletics, not recognizing that a winning football team does not mean the academics at the school are strong as well. ISU on the other hand has allowed a division between the academic side and the athletic side. They don't work together or help each other. The reason our athletics are in the shape they are is because of the power base at the school. Any effort to put more money into the athletics is doomed to fail because of the academic side of the university system that does not see the benifit of a strong athletic program. I'm sure that you would find Professor's at Boise who complain about the football team and athletic programs at Boise even though their success benifits there programs as well. The difference; Boise State's Presidents have stayed the path dispite having to battle the academic side. Boise States' academics are now improving and will continue to because of the success of the football team, not dispite it. The short sightedness of ISU's Presidents have led to the problems we face today. Having a bunch of AD's over the past twenty years has not helped either. Bowen liked that becasue no one person could establish a power base to work from. As long as the AD did not have the ear of all the athletic supporters at ISU, Bowen could keep doing what he wanted. That concept could also be applied to the academic side as well. Any division in the athletic programs supporters eroded their power base keeping the athletic support from ever getting strong enough to change policy. Anyone who has been envolved in ISU's or any school for that matter, know that it is a political nightmare. And unless you are willing to and able to play the game, you are doomed to fail.

qb said:
I sounds like you have deeper issues around BSU (ie. someone treated you bad, you don't like seeing not being able to get ISU gear at the Pocatello Costco). We can agree to disagree.

Hahaha Hopefully this increased self-awareness of my deep-seeded issues surrounding Costco merchandising can start to be resolved now that you have uncovered the real issue. It couldn't possibly be because many BSU fans tend to look down on other fans and treat them as if they are idiots... right? ;)

Singlewing said:
qb said:

Hahaha Hopefully this increased self-awareness of my deep-seeded issues surrounding Costco merchandising can start to be resolved now that you have uncovered the real issue. It couldn't possibly be because many BSU fans tend to look down on other fans and treat them as if they are idiots... right? ;)

You don't get that from THIS Bronco fan...

In an effort to better understand the sentiment, I reflected on my days of youth in Idaho Falls in the 1970's. Back in the day, athletically speaking, ISU, Idaho and BSU were off the radar. To be fair, at the time, I wasn't paying that much attention to college football. But, the vast majority of college athletics discussed were BYU "Cougs" and Ricks College Vikings. You couldn't help hearing about them. They were everywhere. I don't remember hearing much of ISU at all. (I did a little research... from 1971 - 1980, ISU had 4 winning seasons and one season at .500 so maybe their success on the field was part of the issue). It seemed that everyone in eastern Idaho was wearing BYU and Ricks T-shirts and hats. I can't honestly say I didn't see ISU T-shirts, etc. because the area was so overwhelming with BYU & Ricks. Generally speaking, BYU & Ricks' fans were off the charts. In those days, IFHS went thru a streak of something like 3 winless seasons, so adopting a successful football team seemed natural. Anyway, I went to BSU. My friends, who were not really into football in high school, pretty much all went to BYU when their football teams were in their best years. The Cougars' success during that time transformed my friends into fanatics and came back with this football arrogance that their team was better and always be better than any other team. That hasn't changed. And neither has my disdain for BYU and Ricks. Sound familar?

Well, those are broad statements and assumptions, too. Believe me, I understand the where many of you are going with your dislike of Bronco fans. I already mentioned that success tends to bring in the disrespectful, arrogant, self-righteous fans. Just let it be known that there are a much larger number of long time, real BSU football fans that have enjoyed the long history and respects ISU athletics and academics.

spazdog1 said:
Well, those are broad statements and assumptions, too. Believe me, I understand the where many of you are going with your dislike of Bronco fans. I already mentioned that success tends to bring in the disrespectful, arrogant, self-righteous fans. Just let it be known that there are a much larger number of long time, real BSU football fans that have enjoyed the long history and respects ISU athletics and academics.

I would absolutely agree with you that the disrespectful, arrogant, and self-righteous fans are not the majority. It just seems that they tend to be the most vocal... which I guess is an implied definition of arrogance and self-righteousness, so it makes sense.

Either way, I suppose I've spent way too much time on discussing the fans of another school. Back to ISU sports. Gotta take care of our own house so we don't give people like the letter writer the opportunity to bump their gums.

Latest posts

Back