• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

line up

up for the challenge said:
PBP

I have one question for you. Do you really believe the Bengals can win more than 2 games this season with another passing attack season? If so, what are your reasons as the passing attack has not worked during the last two seasons. Why not let this O-Line run block and see if Prier and Finney are the real deal ? In my opinion, you recruit O-Linemen to pass and run block and you recruit running backs to run the ball. Like you said, the clock factor, it would be great to keep our defense off the field.

Winning games will happen when the defense improves. An Air Assault offense with a fast tempo that can run if needed will destroy teams. It does not matter what kind of offense if the defense can not stop the other team and is ranked dead last in the FCS. That is what will win games for ISU.

BengalSapper - Is that why we only averaged 20 points per game last season in the Big Sky, it was due to Air Assault offense with a fast tempo? Twenty points per game will not win games in the Big Sky...

BengalSapper - Is that why we only averaged 20 points per game last season in the Big Sky, it was due to Air Assault offense with a fast tempo? I doubt the Air Assault offense this season will be better than last season. You are right about the defense.

No it is due to the fact that ISU had one of the worst O lines in the country and had no ability to run the ball. This year with better players in place the o line will be better the QB I think will be better. If the D can slow the other teams at all you will see the Offense produce. The Air Assault will work.

I have a feeling we may run the ball more than anyone expects...but the pass will still be the tool of choice.

Who told you that the OL was one of the worst lines in the country? We never ran the ball as that was a coaching decision. Your dreaming if you think the Air Assault passing attack will win games. I am predicting 2 wins this season with a passing attack. I am predicting 3 to 4 wins an established running game(40% or more) with a passing game. We only averaged 20 points per game in the Big Sky last season with the passing attack and that was with a veteran quarterback and great receivers in Rumble and Hill. That had nothing to do with our O-Line as they did not allow that many sacks. It was due because we could not score touchdowns throwing the ball.

Who told you that the OL was one of the worst lines in the country? We never ran the ball as that was a coaching decision. Your dreaming if you think the Air Assault passing attack will win games. I am predicting 2 wins this season with a passing attack without a 40% running game. We only averaged 20 points per game in the Big Sky last season and that was with a veteran quarterback and great receivers in Rumble and Hill.

ISU could not block for the run, that is why we averaged 2.2 yards. We have great receivers returning with Austin, Richmond and several others. I think Arias is a more complete QB that will make good decisions. The O-line has learned a lot gotten better and has added depth. I agree with VOTB we will run more this year but the Air Assault offense will be successful.

Up:

I think they can win three or four games. I think the o-line might be better overall than in the past few years but depth and the injury factor are always the wild cards in any 'prediction.'

To me the question is one of size and strenght, if you see ISU running the ball more that indicates to my way of thinking that Mike is satisfied with those factors on his line, he thinks they can physically hold their own. If you see Mike using more of the West Coast philosophy, it could be because he still doesn't think the line is ready to physically take on the defensive lines they are going to be facing.

Again that's just my opinion, have no inside knowledge since I haven't seen Mike in months.

PBP

PBP

I do not know how we are going to win 3 or 4 games if we continue with on with a passing game and a defense that has struggled over the last two seasons.

We produced 20 points average per game in the Big Sky last season which is not bad but only averaged 12 points per game in 5 games in Big Sky games. That is not enough points on the scoreboard with a passing attack team. I understand why Kramer had to go with the passing attack the last two seasons. He had a terrible defense that would give up a lot of points per game, had an inexperience young O-Line, and had two young running backs. His game plan was to throw the ball and try to outscore the other team which did not work. I agree with his passing attack decision the last two seasons as that was the only strength he had on the team.

This season is different. Kramer has an experienced O-Line and has two experienced running backs. Kramer made the decision last season to start some of his recruits on the O-Line over some experienced senior O-Linemen to prepare his O-Linemen for this season. I would think that Kramer would establish a running game this season as his O-Line is now experienced and has two running backs that are also experienced. Kramer has already established a passing game so why not compliment his passing attack with a running game this season? I doubt Kramer recruited Prier and Finney to pass block and to catch a couple of passes in the flat and I doubt Kramer recruited O-Linemen just to pass block. Let these O-Linemen dominate the line of scrimmage by run blocking and let Prier and Finney run the ball to see if they are the real deal or not. With a running game the passing game will be more effective as that will keep opposing defenses guessing. The running game will burn the clock and it will allow our defense to stay off the field as much as possible.

Maybe, Kramer will establish a running game this season but the hype during Spring Camp and going into Fall Camp seems to be the passing attack game again. I am predicting 2 wins with a passing attack and predicting 3 -4 wins and possibly 5 wins with a 60% passing game and a 40% running game. We will see what happens.

Our defense is another story as we will have to see how they do this season. If the other teams are scoring at will like last season than Kramer will be forced to continue on with the passing attack to play catch up.

I'm not so sure that Kramer is seeking more of a balanced approach to the passing and running game. When he was first hired here he had stated in a Journal interview that he intended to pass most of the time because this was the better thing to do when playing in a dome environment, and he could easily run up the points this way. And this is what the fans wanted to see. Although I think we may run a little more this year, primarily if we'll have the offensive line to do this. I think that our line was recruited primarily to pass block. I remember last year we had problems running the ball and subsequently the offensive line coach was fired. But in any event I'm looking forward for the season to start and plan on being back in Poky for three of the games.

As I mentioned, Kramer had to go to a passing attack game over the last two seasons because he knew that his defense would give up a lot of points, had an inexperienced young O-line, and had two inexperienced running backs. Again, his strength was with his quarterback and his receivers so yes Kramer made it known to the public that he would be passing the ball. It had nothing to do with a dome environment as the Bengals passed the ball while on the road in an outside environment and other teams came into the dome and ran the ball. It had nothing to do with the fans wanting to see a passing game as Kramer was going to run his program his way regardless what fans think. I am a fan and I do not care about watching a passing attack game all day long especially when points are not being generated on the scoreboard. Our O-Line was not recruited to pass block, they were recruited because Kramer thought they were good O-Linemen in high school and that they would be good O-Linemen in his program. The reason we had problems running the ball last season, which by the way was very little, was because the quarterback always lined up in the shotgun position and handed the ball off to the running backs standing in a still position 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. That type of play takes time to develop and is considered a draw play with the O-Line pass blocking. If the quarterback lined up over center he would be handing the ball off 1 or 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage while the running back is going through the hole with speed and power and the O-Line would be run blocking. Who knows why the offensive line coach was fired. Maybe, he disagreed with the passing attack game and let it be known to Kramer so it was decided that it was best to leave the program. If Kramer wants to continue with the passing attack that his decision but I do not want to hear him say to the media that his O-Line is too small and too inexperienced to run block or his running backs are too inexperienced to run the ball as that is total baloney in my opinion.

Challenge, you're wrong once again. You think you know everything, but I'm amazed at how little you know. I know for a fact that Kramer had said all that in the Journal, and if you're right and he's wrong then I suppose that makes him a liar!!!! Kramer's too good of a person to lie, he's got too much integrity. You on the other hand, need to admit that you're wrong once in a while and quit go around thinking that you know everything. Right now I can't find the article -- it happened a few years ago after they were just hired. I'll keep looking and if I can't find it then I will personally e-mail Kramer or Don Bailey and get their opinion about it. And then i'll share this with you to prove you wrong. I had even asked Bailey about this at a Bengal gathering in Twin Falls one time and he said the same thing.

I agree with you that Kramer said to the media that he was going to the passing game the last two seasons as I read and listened to him about his reasons. I actually felt that was the smart thing to do. He had no choice but to go to the passing game as he gave the same reasons as I stated. I doubt Kramer said he recruited and signed O-Linemen just to pass block so where did you dream that one up? I also doubt the fans told Kramer they wanted a passing game therefore Kramer agreed so where did you dream that one up? If you like the passing game only that is your opinion. I would like to see a running game to compliment our passing game. What is the problem with that?

I like the passing game, but it's not my prerogative as to whether I like it or not. Mike Kramer's philosophy is that he would rather pass the football in a domed environment because a QB's completion percentage could be much higher and you could roll up the yardage, because the players don't have to brave the elements. And if a team's inclined to pass then they're much more likely to recruit players who pass block as opposed to those that run block. I'm not dreaming up anything. Larry Lewis' teams recruited lineman who pass blocked -- I know because I asked Bruce Barnum about it one time. I can't find that Journal article I was telling you about on the internet, but I can go to the BSU library and find it, print it out and have it scanned and show you this. It's Kramer's philosophy, none of this is my opinion. You have your preferences as to what you like, but most people would rather watch a passing team roll up the yardage than they would like to watch a team that runs the team most of the time. I do prefer watching teams pass, but hey, if we could win some games by running a triple-option attack, then I'd be all for that.

Why recruit and sign running backs if Kramer philosophy is to have a passing attack? If that is the case, replace Prier and Finney with a second string linebacker to pass block or make Prier and Finney a receiver or a defensive back as we do not need running backs. Who told you that most Bengal fans want to see only a passing attack game? If Bengal fans like the passing attack so much why do they leave Holt Arena by the end of the 3rd quarter? Why not stick around and watch the passing attack in the 4th quarter to roll up more passing yards? I believe the Big Sky defenses got our number, it is called blitzing and giving up the short passes. Averaging only 12 points per game in 5 Big Sky games with the passing attack is considered not so good but hey we lead the Big Sky in total passing yards by throwing the ball 50 plus times a game. That is one for the record books.

Kramer stated a number of times on his coaches show that he would like to be able to run the ball more. However, because the offensive lineman were so young and the cupboard was so bare...underclassman were pressed into the rotation when they were not physically able to blow BSC level talent off the line of scrimmage. He said that they had an offensive lineman starting that could not bench 250 pounds as a TRFR. It takes time for young bodies to get physically ready.

Now I don't see Kramer running the ball a ton more--but I do think that the more time that the underclassman have developing the strength to play at this level will start paying off. We should start seeing more push.

Personally, they can throw 99% of the time or run 99% of the time as long as they score points and win games. However, they need to be able to get a yard or a foot and I would like to see the QB sneak used on 3rd or 4th down with a yard or less.

We are always going to be debating run pass ratio. We always have.

These O-Linemen have the size and should have the strength to run block. Most of the O-Linemen that started last season are now Sophomores and Juniors so they have had plenty of time to develop their strength in the weight room.

Latest posts

Back