• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

McGhee Jr. Named to Mid-Major All Freshman Team!

Kadeezy

McGHEE NAMED TO THE MID-MAJOR ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM

4/1/2008

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Three weeks after being unanimously selected as the Big Sky Conference Men’s Basketball Freshman of the Year, Hornet point guard Vinnie McGhee, Jr., was selected to the CollegeHoops.net Mid-Major all-Freshman team.

A total of 10 players were named to the first or second team, and McGhee was one of five players selected to the second team. Mid-Major schools are widely accepted as teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit League, Sun Belt and West Coast. A complete list of each player named to the team is listed below the story.

McGhee, who was also named honorable mention all-Big Sky Conference, just completed a season in which he averaged 12.1 points, 5.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game. A true freshman who turned 18 years old in October, McGhee became the first Hornet to earn Big Sky Freshman of the Year honors since Nate Murase in 1998-99. He is also the first Hornet to be named to the Mid-Major All-Freshman team.

The Oakland, Calif., native started the final 27 games for Sacramento State, and finished third in the league with an average of 33.7 minutes per game. Also, among Big Sky leaders, McGhee was second in assists, fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (+1.48) and fifth in steals.

Against Big Sky competition, McGhee averaged a team-high 12.5 points per game, including a season-best 30 points at Montana State. The 30 points were the most by a Montana State opponent since Aaron McGhee of Oklahoma accomplished the feat in 2000.

McGhee shot 38.5 percent (122-317) from the field, 37.0 percent (50-135) from the three-point line and 71.4 percent (45-63) from the free throw line. He scored in double figures 16 times during the season, and led the team in scoring on nine occasions.

McGhee’s 339 points were the most by a Sacramento State freshman during the program’s Div. I era (1991-pres.), and his 142 assists were the second-most by a Hornet during the Div. I era. He was one of four Hornets to play in every game during the season, and after coming off the bench at Kansas State in the team’s opener, started every contest the rest of the way.

CollegeHoops.net Mid-Major Freshman Team

Player of the Year: Patrick Mills (Saint Mary’s)

CollegeHoops.net Mid-Major All-Freshman Team
G: Patrick Mills (Saint Mary’s)
G: Marquis Weddle (UT-Martin)
G: Devin Gibson (Texas-San Antonio)
F: Tyrone Shelley (Pepperdine)
F: Matt Howard (Butler)

CollegeHoops.net Second Team Mid-Major All-Freshman
G: Vinnie McGhee (Sacramento State)
G: Darion Anderson (NIU)
G: Joshua White (North Texas)
F: Omar Carter (Charleston Southern)
F: Malcolm Thomas (Pepperdine)

CollegeHoops.net Honorable Mention Mid-Major all-Freshman: Alvin Abreu (UNH), Nate Blank (Gardner Webb), Kenneth Faried (Morehead State), Rahmon Fletcher (UWGB), Jay Gavin (Marist), John Holland (Boston U), Rob Jones (San Diego), Mark Payne (UC Davis), Deonte Roberts (Milwaukee), Gerald Robinson Jr. (Tennessee State), Brian Rudolph (Loyola), Cameron Wells (The Citadel)

I love the way he plays. He gives 110% every night. With a new coach, I think he will be even more effective. Vinnie is a natural leader. Major props to this award for him.

You can thank former Assistant David Grace for getting him. Then again Wanless wouldn't interview him even after Lute Olson called.

Grace was NEVER an option. No one else even wanted McGhee anyways. He just sort of fell into our laps and proved to be a nice little PG who will be a 4-year starter. You think he would have come here if he had a bunch of other DI options?

Kadeezy,

I agree with you. Based on facilities, record, conference, and student support why would a recruit choose Sac State over other D-I options? That being said, we still hold the coach to high standards when it comes to recruiting players. I know that I have read numerous times about Jenkins inability to recruit a quality big man but I just don't see why one would join our team at this point. It reallly dissapoints me that the administration has backed away from a new arena. I hope that our new coach will be given the tools necessary to succeed in the long term.

jmb said:
Kadeezy,

I agree with you. Based on facilities, record, conference, and student support why would a recruit choose Sac State over other D-I options? That being said, we still hold the coach to high standards when it comes to recruiting players. I know that I have read numerous times about Jenkins inability to recruit a quality big man but I just don't see why one would join our team at this point. It reallly dissapoints me that the administration has backed away from a new arena. I hope that our new coach will be given the tools necessary to succeed in the long term.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the interviews.

Wonder what Gonzo and Wanless are promising the new coach, I am sure facilities are a hot topic.

Latest posts

Back