• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Men Picked to Finish 6th...

Beardown

in the preseason polls. I'm okay with that, only because we're really young and we've got so many new faces. I have no idea who half of these players are. :oops:

I looked at our team picture the other day and could name about 4 guys. Honestly I thought we'd be picked closer to 9th. Ill take it though...

I think 6th gets into the BS tourney right? That wouldn't be so bad for a growth year. At least a chance to make some noise.

But regardless, the non-conf sched is awesome: KU, CU, CSU, DU. All it takes is one win to launch a rivalry.... And just to be able to play these schools rather than Houston Baptist and Western State and Mesa Southern Junior Eastern State College of the Northern Hills of City X...

PS the new bear logo is so much better than 'drunkenly clawing at you bear' :twocents:

larryteeling said:
Bareuncle,there has been a change in the tournament rules.All the teams ( first to last ) go to the tourment this year.

Holy cow. I also noticed that Reno, NV will host the tournament for 3 years. This is just a terrible idea. All 12 teams? If you are a big conference where if you won the regular season would make the dance anyway, I wouldn't mind so much but I HATE the tournaments for the small conferences because it makes the regular season pretty much worthless.

Also, I have been to quite a few smaller conference tournaments at neutral sites and they lack atmosphere. It's watching basketball in a mostly empty arena with a library atmosphere.

bareuncle said:
I think 6th gets into the BS tourney right? That wouldn't be so bad for a growth year. At least a chance to make some noise.

But regardless, the non-conf sched is awesome: KU, CU, CSU, DU. All it takes is one win to launch a rivalry.... And just to be able to play these schools rather than Houston Baptist and Western State and Mesa Southern Junior Eastern State College of the Northern Hills of City X...

PS the new bear logo is so much better than 'drunkenly clawing at you bear' :twocents:

Glad to see another UNCLE on board. Like Brian, I wonder what the tournament atmosphere will be like? I will say it would have been nice for planning travel to the tournament. During Tevins run, I wasn't ever able to make the tourney as you just never knew for sure where it would be located. Traveling out of a small regional airline market those last minute tickets were crazy expensive.

After the loss to UNO, does 6th place in the Big Sky seem a bit optimistic?

So I watched half the UNO game and half the CU game... this season could be ugly. We look like a D2 team out there is size and talent level. Our bigs are invisible and nobody can shoot... Not to mention Freshman out there that pee down their leg like they have never seen a press before. It's a small sample size I realize but looking at the other teams that beat us I think it's fair to say this has the potential to be a train wreck. :thumbdown:

Seems like our first half performances have been completely dreadful and I worry that our better 2nd half play is because we are playing against the other teams benches. Ugh.

Rough start to the season for sure. Nebraska-Omaha is a good team with a lot of returners and CU is CU but the losses as home to Austin Peay and Maryland Baltimore County by double digits are the ones that concern me. Not to mention Cam Michael played in those 2 games unlike the CU game.

Right now it looks like we have about 3 guys who are going to be consistent (Michael, Wilson and Johnson). But there is no doubt about it, we're undermanned at the 4 and 5 position. Verhagen must feel awful lonely down there sometimes, especially when we play small ball i.e. (Michael, Wilson, Davis and Johnson).

I like the way Spencer Mathis plays. Seems a little out of control at times but he makes a lot plays when he's out there. I'm also looking forward to having Dallas Anglin eligible next semester, while in a perfect world he would be a 6'7, 6'8 post player, I'll take any help we can get right now from a depth standpoint.

Excluding this past season with EWU, I cant remember the last time someone won the conference tournament on someones else's home floor. I think changing it a neutral site will allow for much more of a chance for lower seeds to upset the top dogs. And I totally agree with the "atmosphere" comment!! This is not the Big 12 where you can play in a big arena and have people travel all over by the hundreds to support their team. The arena will be mostly empty I would imagine and nobody likes playing in front of 300 people.

Brian said:
After the loss to UNO, does 6th place in the Big Sky seem a bit optimistic?

I think the bigger question is "Will B.J. Hill survive the season?" At this point, my money's on no. :thumbdown:

This CSU game is the 1st game I have really tried to watch and I am really glad I did. The halftime performance by the unicycle lady was awesome!

It's a mark at how rough the start of the season has been that there is no activity leading up to the CSU game. What a heck of a win by the Bears!

Very, very nice win....Broke that string against CSU....I watched about half and you guys played very good...congratulations

Brian said:
larryteeling said:
Bareuncle,there has been a change in the tournament rules.All the teams ( first to last ) go to the tourment this year.

Holy cow. I also noticed that Reno, NV will host the tournament for 3 years. This is just a terrible idea. All 12 teams? If you are a big conference where if you won the regular season would make the dance anyway, I wouldn't mind so much but I HATE the tournaments for the small conferences because it makes the regular season pretty much worthless.

Also, I have been to quite a few smaller conference tournaments at neutral sites and they lack atmosphere. It's watching basketball in a mostly empty arena with a library atmosphere.

More details on why the move to the neutral site tournament.

Both installments of a two-part question and answer series with Big Sky Conference deputy commissioner Ron Loghry discussing the centralization of the Big Sky basketball tournament at a neutral site.

Road to Reno: Q&A with Big Sky deputy commissioner Ron Loghry — Part 1
http://skylinesportsmt.com/road-to-reno-qa-with-bsc-deputy-commissioner-ron-loghry-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Road to Reno: Q&A with Big Sky deputy commissioner Ron Loghry — Part II
http://skylinesportsmt.com/road-to-reno-qa-with-bsc-deputy-commissioner-ron-loghry-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back