• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Mondays expo game

Thanks for the update, rollingrock.

Last night, I watched a little bit of Northern Colorado's exhibition game against Black Hills on Big Sky TV (Bears won by about 30). I don't see Monday's exhibition game with Montana Tech listed on Big Sky TV -- anybody know if it will be shown? Frank?

I asked the same question of Frank late last week. He said it should be on Stretch and BigSkyTV. So you should be able to get it one way or the other.

AK and Bay will not play--Caspari is still waiting on the clearinghouse.

Here is the Idaho State Journal blog story by Tim Flagstad:

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/?p=4309

Sounds like AK is in the doghouse--and I love this quote from O'Brien:

“Austin Kilpatrick is suspended because I’m mad at him. We’ll leave it at that.”

O'Brien may be simply trying to light a fire under some butts. I'm not saying that I know this is what he is doing--but maybe he is trying to make a statement of sorts.

I know you want to see Kal as the starting PG, but give Baldwin a chance tonight. This is a good game to see what he can do. Either way--he is going to need to play this season.

I am not crazy about a TRFR PG, either. But, O'Brien is playing for a contract this season. I doubt he will jeopardize anything by making a bad choice regarding who will run the team.

Remember, it isn't who starts, it's who finishes. Bay will get his chance and his minutes, provided he can get himself healthy. I want to see them both contribute.

As for Baldwin and his leaping ability--looks like he has some springs to me:

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p286/frost_031/?action=view&current=jc3_4365_std.jpg

Sorry man, you mentioned that he couldn't even dunk. I was merely illustrating that he indeed is athletic. I wanted to make you feel better, LOL.

If Bay is the best man to run the show, when it counts, he will have the keys to the car.

Until then, I am excited to see Baldwin and the Bengals tonight. It doesn't matter who is playing to me. I am just plain excited.

Have fun at the game, I will watch it online.

The original posts seems like a Kal Bay plug to me, but hey, that's alright. I AM NOT debating that validity of what you say at all.

If it wasn't, it wasn't. I'm not saying that Baldwin or Bay should be the one--what I do know tonight is that Baldwin is a go, so we are going to see what he can do. O'Brien stated on the pregame that he expects Baldwin to make some mistakes and take time to grow into the position.

I believe what you say and I am sure you have a good understanding of the game.

I wasn't able to see the game, just looking at the final statistics now...

As RollingRock posted earlier, the experience issue is front and center here and it shows in the final statistics.

Amorrow Morgan, 20 points and 6 assists. Last year's PG knows how to play the game.

Sherrod Baldwin, 8 points and NO assists. The combo guard from Memphis needs time to learn the position.

Can we afford on the job training for our PG?

I think not...

Bay ought to start, let Baldwin back him up 8-10 minutes a game. That's how it's done in Division 1 basketball!

How did this discussion even start of Baldwin winning the PG job?

It's a no-brainer that you play the juco transfer from the Big 12 and bring the freshman along slowly.

Once again, nobody has said that Baldwin should or should not be the starting PG. The source of this debate comes from the head coach himself. What has been said (not by me) in this thread is that Badlwin should not.

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/?p=4309

and

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/kellis/?p=4417

Thanks for the links, Bengal Cub. You are right, it does come from O'Brien himself.

Hmm..........

This is just really hard to understand? I mean, Sherrod wasn't even a true PG in high school. He was a combo guard. Idaho State was his only D-1 offer, and O'Brien wants to START him over a player from the Big 12?

Hmm..........

A couple of observations on this thread: 1) Skippy has never said he's "on the inside" with the coaches or players. Don't know where that came from -- I'm a fan like everybody else. 2) I don't understand all the hyperventilating over Baldwin starting the first exhibition game. It was an "exhibition" game, afterall and Bay wasn't available. If OB believes Baldwin has the ability to be a starting PG, now's as good a time to find out as any. And not to reignite the "true PG debate," but if you look at Bay's numbers from his junior college days and time at Colorado, his assist to TO ratio doesn't exactly say "point guard."

I suspect we'll see a number of different combinations at PG during the season, with Baldwin, Bay, Stucki and Morgan all getting opportunities there. Basketball is a game of matchups. The Bengals didn't have a solid defensive matchup for the smaller, quicker PGs in the league last year. Perhaps OB sees Baldwin as fitting that bill. That doesn't mean he'll be the only option at PG, but he'll be one of them.

PS--I look forward to the return of both Bay and Kilpatrick to action. When teams try to zone the Bengals this year, I can see OB surrounding that zone with AK, Bay and Stucki -- should be fun.

in re-reading the posts by everyone, I don’t see this as a personal issue its a personnel issue, I did not get from anyone Bay is the only answer, however if the guard last night was supposed to defend smaller, quicker guards we failed at that.

And assist to turnover was nothing to write home about.

Enough of that, I appreciate RR commentary, it reads well and he appears to have a keen observation of the game.

The issues surrounding guards are as I see them, who do we play at each position that maximizes the opportunity at offense and defense, and I think that’s what is being said by RR and others.

I know it was our first game and coaches are focused on rotations-positions etc. I think we were more jitters than anything being a first game. Didn't the ore diggers have 2 games already? We are deep and have talent. The question is who is going to be in which rotation. They will get more of a feel with the next couple games. I am going to say this early because it is better now then later. OUR BIG GUYS UNDERNEATH MUST and i repeat MUST PLAY WITH AGGRESSION. YOU ARE BIG MEN, TAKE IT TO THE BASKET! It hopefullly should be a fun year to watch. GO BENGALS!

I'm not quite sure where all the energy in this post is coming from. Last night's game was an "exhibition" game...a chance for Coach to throw some kids out on the floor and see how they do. He has three KEY players that could not suit up last night...which means the team you saw last night will NOT be the team you see next week, or in two weeks, or four...

It's a waste of time to be debating who should be playing which positions right now. Would you rather a true freshman PG get his "baptism by fire" in an exhibition game, or against Hawaii or Boise State when you can't afford to have freshman mistakes? Just because he started last night doesn't mean he's a "lock" for the season. Sure, Baldwin had a difficult time guarding the quick kids on the other team. So did almost everyone else on our team last night. Joe wants to use some line-ups this year that have both Lucas and Busma in them, but admitted before the game even started that he couldn't do that because of Montana Tech's quickness...knowing they'd run circles around us inside.

Some players look great in practice and suck in games. Others might be exactly the opposite. This is the time for coaches to find out which kids are which...and who can do what. Even if Kal had been healthy enough to play full-speed last night, Joe may still have played Sherrod a lot to find out who he really is...in a game that doesn't count on your W/L record. I think Joe is smart enough to know how to bring a player along at the right speed. The only things that really upset that process are either injuries or suspensions. Gee, did we have any of those last night??? :roll:

We've got some quality kids on the team, both returners and newcomers. Bringing them all together into a unit that can battle for the Big Sky crown will take some time. We're going to see flashes of brilliance, and clouds of disappointment from everyone throughout the season.

The one thing that I DO know is that one ref last night was horrible. Horrible! :D

Latest posts

Back