• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

More on baseball

bozar1

Two notable OOC series this year are with NMSU and Arizona. The Pac 12 (10? whatever) is usually pretty strong from top to bottom and this year is no different. Arizona was pretty good last year with a fairly young team but finished poorly. They are tough at home as are all college baseball teams. The Wildcats are picked to finish in the lower middle portion of the conference but the season hasn't started yet.

NMSU as I've state in a previous post are in the WAC which is certainly a changed landscape since this time last year. NMSU remains but four of the athletic programs are to move on with baseball having one more chance at a WAC championship. NMSU remains along with a few others such as SJSU, LaTech, and SacState. They were pretty good last year and were rated in the top 25 at some point in the middle of the season. They then hit the skids but one thing remained the same; they can hit the crap out of the ball, win or lose. They lost a lot from last year but still return some bangers. Other returning players and some recruits need to step it up if they are to challenge in the WAC. Amazingly, their pitching staff could be a strength. I have them picked about fifth in the WAC with Fresno being the popular favorite and for good reason. This also will be a tough series for the Bears.

It's tough being a Colorado team playing all those road games because of weather. Hopefully, they can improve upon last year's record. I will be moving to Loveland in about a year or so and will start following the Bears more seriously than now.

Blofeld said:
How many baseball programs will the WAC have after everything shakes out?

Its unfortunate, as I would have liked to see UNC get a chance to move as an affiliate member of the WAC for baseball, but appartently the WAC has added three new members to the conference, two of which have baseball programs. Effective July 1, 2012, the three new members will be: Denver, Texas State, and UTSA.

anon22 said:
Blofeld said:

Its unfortunate, as I would have liked to see UNC get a chance to move as an affiliate member of the WAC for baseball, but appartently the WAC has added three new members to the conference, two of which have baseball programs. Effective July 1, 2012, the three new members will be: Denver, Texas State, and UTSA.

That's too bad. I would have liked to see them in the WAC, I think if they were to get into the WAC it would help with recruiting, and keep some more in state guys here. Plus they would have more of a chance to get into the NCAA tourney, the conference they're in now doesn't even get an automatic bid. Do you see UNC sticking in the conference?

Bearsfan24 said:
anon22 said:
Blofeld said:

That's too bad. I would have liked to see them in the WAC, I think if they were to get into the WAC it would help with recruiting, and keep some more in state guys here. Plus they would have more of a chance to get into the NCAA tourney, the conference they're in now doesn't even get an automatic bid. Do you see UNC sticking in the conference?

For the time being, I see UNC stuck in the lousy Great West, which is too bad. I think that the WAC is the closest opportunity UNC will have, and obviously the conference that is HQ'd in Denver snuffed the Bears for two Texas schools. The program needs to fundraise like no other, increase its scholarships, and most importantly, upgrade the facilities at Jackson before they have a shot at another conference.

anon22 said:
Bearsfan24 said:
anon22 said:
Blofeld said:

For the time being, I see UNC stuck in the lousy Great West, which is too bad. I think that the WAC is the closest opportunity UNC will have, and obviously the conference that is HQ'd in Denver snuffed the Bears for two Texas schools. The program needs to fundraise like no other, increase its scholarships, and most importantly, upgrade the facilities at Jackson before they have a shot at another conference.

A WAC baseball affiliation seems very feasible for N Colo.

Here's the current Baseball WAC scheduled for 2012:

San Jose St
Sac St (affiliate)
N Mex St
La Tech
UTSA
Texas St

The WAC really needs to add at least one more member just to have 8 FB schools, an Lamar is rumored for that. Lamar would make 7 baseball schools.

The WAC is also rumored to be looking at Utah Valley State, Cal St-Bakersfield, and Seattle for non-FB members, all of which baseball.

The other schools looking for WAC baseball slots beyond N Colorado are Southern Utah, North Dakota, Houston Baptist, UTPA, and Dallas Baptist.

I agree siouxfan, it would seem reasonable, but I just can't see this come to fruition anytime soon. A couple 5-6 years back the same talk was going on, with the possibility of adding UNC, Dallas Baptist and Possibly UTPA to the WAC and creating two divisions, but that never materialized for a variety of reasons. I guess I'm too much of a pessimist due to prior experience, and hopefully I'm wrong and UNC can join the conference relatively soon.

Latest posts

Back