• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

NCAA Releases Academic Progress Rates

SLCBengal

The NCAA released its annual Academic Progress Rate scores for every school for 2012-13.

Programs with a four-year academic progress rate (APR) below 930 can be barred from participating in the postseason, including all NCAA tournaments and football bowl games.

Idaho's football team is the only one in the state that faces penalties this year.

Idaho State's men's basketball program is the only other program in the state to score below 930 this year. The Bengals' program has been below 930 for each of the last four years.

Idaho State

Football, 941
Men's Basketball , 918
Men's Cross Country, 965
Men's Tennis, 933
Men's Track, Indoor, 963
Men's Track, Outdoor, 964
Softball, 971
Women's Basketball, 976
Women's Cross Country, 970
Women's Golf, 1000
Women's Soccer, 981
Women's Tennis, 972
Women's Track, Indoor, 972
Women's Track, Outdoor, 975
Women's Volleyball, 990

Read more here: Idaho Statesman: NCAA Releases BSU, UI, and ISU Academic Progress Rates

Spud:

Sure it can....when they have to start making those very long trips to Sun Belt opponents, having to pay for them (oh and probably losing to boot...)

PBP

Now so fast PBP about the Vandals losing to boot as Coach Petrino signed 16 junior college transfers in 2014, seven of whom signed in December and are already enrolled, in an attempt to immediately change the Vandals faded fortunes. The Vandals may not go to a bowl game this season but Coach Petrino is looking to win immediately.

up for the challenge said:
Now so fast PBP about the Vandals losing to boot as Coach Petrino signed 16 junior college transfers in 2014, seven of whom signed in December and are already enrolled, in an attempt to immediately change the Vandals faded fortunes. The Vandals may not go to a bowl game this season but Coach Petrino is looking to win immediately.

Not really. Idaho had an exodus of players, so much so that only 10 players return who were sophomores this past season. Petrino needed to balance the classes as best he could, and getting players who could come in and play didn't hurt either. During his tour of the state after recruiting, and in the media itself, he has said he won't recruit this many JC players in the future.

It had more to do with stabilizing the program and roster than it did with trying to win right away.

I do not think so JJB. Coach Petrino was hired to improve the APR and to win immediately. You do not sign 16 JUCO players to balance the classes. If I.U or Coach Petrino was not interested in winning immediately they would have given partial scholarships out to walk-ons with high GPA's to improve their APR and would have signed mostly high school players with high GPA's in hope someday the juniors and seniors will be able to win games in conference play. You have to win at the FBS level to keep your job as losing is not an option.

I do not think so JJB. Coach Petrino was hired to improve the APR and to win immediately. You do not sign 16 JUCO players to balance the classes. If I.U or Coach Petrino was not interested in winning immediately they would have given partial scholarships out to walk-ons with high GPA's to improve their APR and would have signed mostly high school players with high GPA's in hope someday the juniors and seniors will be able to win games in conference play. You have to win at the FBS level to keep your job as losing is not an option.

FBS schools are not allowed to give partial scholarships. But clearly signing 16 jc kids is s big statement -- and a big risk, especially when you are already on APR probation. I think the Vandals realize they are at the tipping point with football and they have to get competitive quick. I think Petrino is a good football mind and he has a chance to make Idaho competitve in the Sun Belt. I will repeat for emphasis, though: 16 jucos in one class is a risk.

Why are 16 JUCO players a risk? Do you know their academic GPA's in high school or JUCO? They all qualified academically at I.U. so where are the risks ? You never know, they all maybe better students in the classroom more so than the seven high school players that were offered scholarships.

From the way I understand it, for any 1-AA school that's been hit by APR sanctions it's real tough to take any JC transfers or D-1 drop downs, and the reason is this. Once a school gets slapped with the APR sanctions, then for the next five years after that they're only able to take JC transfers if they have a 2.75 gpa. And they're only able to take D-1 drop downs if they have a 2.5 gpa. This is an NCAA policy -- Tingey doesn't have anything to do with this -- and it's really hurt us because that's eliminated a lot of good athletes that we could have gotten to help us out. Therefore we haven't taken very many transfers over the last few years because of this. Therefore, I'm surprised that Idaho was able to take this many JC transfers.

I do not know about the FCS NCAA policy about JUCO or transfers GPA's after APR sanctions. If fact, please send.

Personally, I do not see the problem with 16 JUCO signees going to I.U. as I do not believe they are any more of a risk than a high school player.

boisebengal - I believe you. I maybe wrong but I believe there are plenty of talented football players that come from JUCO programs that have a GPA higher than a 2.75. Maybe, the 16 JUCO players going to Idaho University all have a GPA of 2.75 or higher since the Vandals are on NCAA probation. Ask you friend to clarify. All I know is Idaho University is serious about winning in 2014 and in 2015 by signing 16 JUCO players. They will work on eliminating their APR problem just like we did.

Why are 16 JUCO players a risk? Do you know their academic GPA's in high school or JUCO? They all qualified academically at I.U. so where are the risks ? You never know, they all maybe better students in the classroom more so than the seven high school players that were offered scholarships.

Because according to NCAA figures, junior college transfers graduate at a lower rate than do high school recruits. Btw, it's University of Idaho, not Idaho University.

If that is the case than why would the "University of Idaho" and Coach Petrino sign 16 JUCO's and only sign 7 high school players in 2014 while on APR probation? The only reason that I can think of is that the "University of Idaho" must feel confident that these JUCO players will perform well in the classroom, will graduate, and will help the Vandals win in 2014 and 2015. If you feel that the "University of Idaho" is taking a risk based on JUCO's transfers having a lower graduation rate compared to high school recruits based on NCAA figures than that is your opinion but it is not the opinion of the "University of Idaho" and Coach Petrino as they did sign 16 JUCO's in 2014 while on APR probation. Their objective is to win immediately and to correct their APR problems.

If I remember correctly when learning about APR and the challenges for ISU...

...Idaho State requires JC transfers to have AA degree in hand...

...most Big Sky Conference Schools do not and I don't think Idaho does either.

I cannot promise that I am right on this...maybe I am way off here...but something is telling me to write this message...

...and I don't want to write in correct sentences...so don't judge....

I do not know Bengalcub. Skippy, do you know or is there someone else out there that knows the answers to the questions of Bengalcub and Boisebengal ? I do like the 16 JUCO signing of players for the University of Idaho. Why can't we do that? I would be happy with 6 JUCO's in 2014 but we only signed 3 JUCO's that I know of.

Up, I'm not really sure. As for the sport of basketball, a while back I was talking to ISU coach Bill Evans about the transfers. And I told him that I thought that if a player transferred from a community college then they could play right away -- even after a year. Whereas if they transferred from a junior college then they'd have to have their associates degree before they could transfer and play here. And Evans told me that's not necessarily the case, there's some cases whereas they don't have to have their diploma. I don't know Up -- I'm a little confused about it.

You're getting into the whole "qualifier" versus "non-qualifier" discussion. If the NCAA deems a player as a non-qualifier, and he goes to a 2-year school, he must graduate. A player who the NCAA qualifies may still choose a 2 year school, but he wouldn't have to graduate, he could transfer after one year.

ISU pleaded with the NCAA to reduce its penalty time, and they made things even tougher on themselves academic wise. It wouldn't surprise me with football that ISU is requiring all transfers from a 2-year school to have an AA.

UI signed ALL their JC players BEFORE they got into APR problems (again), no?

Latest posts

Back