• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

NCAA Violations

Loyal Fan

I'm surprised no one has weighed in on whether the investigation has any legs.

From the ISJ report this morning, it looks like it may not amount to much more than a stupid comment by a booster. Some may think that it was sour grapes by Coach Martin. However, I think that if he heard such a comment, he probably had no choice but to pass it on to the AD. The timing is troublesome, but it may have been very difficult to say anything until after the decision on the new coach had been made -- whether it turned out well for him or not. I hope that he planned on disclosing the comment as soon as the coaching decision was made, regardless of the outcome. But, I suppose we'll never know.

In any event, I hope that it doesn't amount to anything more than the Journal reported this morning -- a random and unfortunate offer made by a booster.

Ex-Coach’s letter key in NCAA proble: Martin makes accusations about booster
Posted on June 3, 2012

BY CHASE GLORFIELD

[email protected]

Idaho State University’s former interim men’s basketball coach says in a letter that a local booster suggested money be paid to potential players and their junior college coaches in order to persuade recruits to choose to play for ‍ISU.

It’s believed that the letter, at least in part, triggered the current NCAA investigation of multiple sports teams at ‍ISU, including the men’s basketball team.

Martin Tingey

The former interim coach, Deane Martin, sent the letter to ‍ISU Athletic Director Jeff Tingey the day after being passed over for the permanent men’s basketball coaching position.

After Tingey responded by saying Martin was making “potentially slanderous statements” in the letter, Martin provided the document to the NCAA. The Journal has been told that NCAA investigators are currently on the ‍ISU campus trying to figure out if sports teams at the university have committed violations of NCAA rules. Typically, NCAA investigations take several months before any findings are released.

Martin’s letter, dated March 6, alleges that a booster told him “in the presence of another witness, that he wanted to insure that ‍ISU got the best recruit we could, and he offered his support. Specifically (the booster) indicated that if it took a ‘money handshake’ from him to a coach or a recruit, to seal the deal, he was happy to do that.”

Martin’s letter goes on to say that the booster “has personally involved himself with the families of potential recruits, and made similar offers to them. He also has made those offers to junior college coaches, that it would be in their best financial interest to steer their players to Idaho State University.”

‍ISU recruits some of its student athletes from junior colleges.

Martin’s letter, provided to the Journal by an ‍ISU employee, identifies the accused booster. The Journal is withholding the booster’s identity pending the outcome of the NCAA investigation. The NCAA has thus far withheld comment on the situation at ‍ISU, saying that it does not typically provide comments until after an investigation is completed.

Martin says in his letter that he was alerting Tingey to the situation because he felt, “it is my obligation to report these matters to you. I trust that you will take the appropriate actions and report as required.”

Martin also states that he did not personally accept any money from boosters during his time with the ‍ISU men’s basketball team, which began in June 2011 as an assistant coach and continued when he was named interim head coach in December of the same year.

Martin would not comment when contacted by the Journal, citing the ongoing NCAA investigation.

When contacted about Martin’s letter, Tingey would not confirm or deny that the letter was sent to him.

“There is an ongoing investigation and until it’s completed, I can’t comment,” Tingey said.

The Journal also received a copy of Tingey’s email response to Martin’s allegations. The athletic director told the former interim coach that, “As these are very strong and potentially slanderous statements, I am going to forward them to our university attorneys for their involvement.”

Tingey also told Martin“so that the NCAA does not think we will ‘sweep this under the rug’ I will have our compliance office contact them.”

When contacted by the Journal, Tingey had nothing to say in regard to his response.

“I am not at liberty to make any comment,” he said.

Martin closed his letter by saying, “It is certainly my hope that there have not been any NCAA violations”at ‍ISU.

“But the mere fact that these actions are ongoing, and could be in the public domain would look very bad for Idaho State University, and its officers and officials,” Martin wrote.

I for one am grateful that Martn was not selected as the head coach at Idaho State. I was very high on Martin and he was the coach that I really wanted to see get the job.

This is a very good example of sour grapes. I find it difficult to swallow that Martin makes these accusations after he is passed over, but makes no mention of it while he is the interim head coach at Idaho State. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is happened.

With that said, Idaho State needs to be careful about the interaction that it knowingly allows boosters to student athletes and their families. This is for everyone's protection. In hindsight we should have saw this coming as it was eluded to by Martin supporters in the coaching debate thread.

Where there is smoke there is fire, even if it is only a few smoldering embers.

Bengalcub I completely agree. Martin should have immediately contacted Tingey "IF this occured and that is a HUGE'IF"! Bengalcub I also agree that boosters MUST be careful with the relationships that they have with the athletes.

This stinks all the way around: 1) Tingey's arrogant response: didn't this guy learn anything from the poor handling of the Vicker's incident? 2) Martin's sour grapes: wow, so glad ISU didn't keep this guy. 3) Booster's solicitations: you want to help? How about you throw a few bucks at the paltry recruiting budget?

Is it asking too much to expect ISU to lose with a bit of class?

I went to ESPN earlier to read up on Tiger Woods, and I saw they had picked up the AP wire on this story. I went to some other sites like Sports Illustrated and CBS Sports, and they had picked it up. CBS Sports went so far as to write their own stuff.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19249396/ncaa-investigating-the-powerhouse-that-is-idaho-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's one thing to get a sexy scandal of a case at a school like Ohio State, Florida or a UConn. But Idaho State? It's irritating and only the necessary reminder: In some way, cheating happens almost everywhere in college basketball.

Nothing like being found guilty before being presumed innocent.

It will be interesting to see who the booster is. If it's somebody who has very little interaction with the department and players, it shouldn't be too hard to disprove. It it's somebody who has a lot of interaction with the department and players, then it might open ISU up to something like lack of institutional control for not being able to monitor and protect the players.

Hey, I'm still lukewarm on the Evans hire. But I'm glad the program pretty much got a clean sweep. Joe O'Brien was the biggest joke of a basketball coach this program has seen in 50 years. I don't care what people think, but my opinion is he hurt the men's program almost as much as Zamberlin hurt the football program. No hard feelings, Joe, but :finger:

bio, I agree with what you wrote. Tingey was too defensive when he shot off response to Martin. His immaturity showed through. He should have just said he'd forward the info to the appropriate channels. Tingey should also tell players to stay the Hell away from boosters and vice versa.

Just when I think ISU athletics is done with the embarassing shit, something else comes along.

The alleged booster WAS very close to the program. However, lets wait until the NCAA concludes its investigation. If players were paid, criticism and penalty is due. If players were not compensated and no major rules were violated, then ISU just killed one helluva booster.

I am leading toward the thinking that there are no major infractions, boosters name will be cleared and Idaho State will be very guilty using poor judgment as it pertains to booster interaction with coaches and players. I also will always believe that this booster was hung out to dry by a disgruntled OB staff as he was loathed for changing his contribution level to the men's basketball program.

bengalcub, if no rules are found to be violated, then how would ISU kill a major booster? Based on the allegations, the investigation is necessary to save its own skin. You are implying that the booster was set up by the O'Brien staff. If that's true, then all the more reason to continue contributing once he is cleared. If he stops, then the other side has won regardless. If the NCAA forbids him/her from having any affiliation with ISU, then that's another story.

Either way, ISU HAD NO CHOICE but to conduct the investigation.

I fully understand that ISU had to conduct an investigation. I get that and understand it 100%.

However, the participation level and activities that this booster took part in should have been noticed by compliance and identified as risky. This for the protection of the university and the booster.

Boosters CANNOT...

1... have any "recruiting" contact with prospects or their families. That includes phone calls, letters, emails and face-to-face meetings.
2 ... provide financial aid of any kind or in any amount (clothing, discounts, gifts, transportation, loans, etc.) to prospects or their relatives.
3 ... have any contact with a prospect or his/her parents during an official or unofficial recruiting visit
4 ... contact any recruit to offer congratulations on the signing of a National Letter of Intent
5 ... employ or arrange for the employment of any prospect before the completion of his/her senior year
6 ... provide anything to a prospect or prospect's family or friends without approval from the school compliance office

This is basic compliance stuff...and for the FIRST and THIRD listed to have happened the athletic department or at least the coaches would have had to know that the booster had that type of interaction. Epic failure by ISU in this regard for not realizing what was taking place right under their faces.

A few other questions that I have?

Why did the prior coaching staff take a booster on recruiting visits?
How would a booster know what recruits were being recruited by ISU unless he was first told by the coaching staff that a player was being recruited?

Aren't these basic rules that any coach or athletic department employee would know and understand?

Because I believe I do...and it took me 15 seconds on GOOGLE to understand it.

For anyone that cares, I fear this is going from bad to worse. In fact, this will make the APR fiasco look like a walk in the park.

Head's need to roll and ISU needs some new leadership, period. If they are unwilling to commit to change, they might as well drop athletics all together.

Lack of institutional control is going to bring the men's basketball program and possibly the whole athletic department to its knees.

This helps explain, in a disastrous sort of way, the complete lack of information coming out of ISU after Coach Evans and his staff were hired. Not that they were involved, but all of a sudden many of us noticed a complete lock-down of information, and it apparently happened about the time of the Deane letter's delivery to ISU. The lack of info seemed to filter into other sports to include spring football. Enthusiasm appeared to be lacking. It just seemed like business, a little quieter than usual. I'm afraid to ask, "What's next?" If this is going to get worse, who would be in a position to administer the head-rolling maneuver at the institutional guillotine?

This is nothing new at ISU...

This "booster" has been helping players (finanically) way before Martin's interim. What player wouldn't take the extra benefits of signing or being at ISU. We must remember...ISU is limited in recruiting elite players, might well offer something to convince them to come. I agree, Martin should've contacted Tingey asap after hearing those remarks by the booster, but I'm certain that those remarks was made during O'brien era as well.

So we have been paying these players to be this bad? If that was the case PAY someone who can actually get us some WINS! :ohno:

OB and his staff were aware of the potential violations and that includes Martin. The ISU athletic department knew as well, regardless of the results of the investigation, do not be fooled by that fact.

It is important to note that Idaho State has already admitted violations to the NCAA that booster contact and recruiting violations were made. Now, the Idaho State administration is trying to say that they are not to blame and that they did not have any idea of the wrong doing. Once again, don't be fooled. Numerous members of the athletic department knew of the dangers of what was going on but all were afraid of the repercussions of speaking out.

I was forwarded a letter today that was written and sent to the booster by Darlene Gerry from the Associate General Counsel at Idaho State. I will not disclose the boosters name because I believe that he is innocent until proven guilty.

How I got this letter paints a bleak picture to me. Athletic department folks, in the mist of an NCAA investigation are still trying to discredit the booster and "disassociate" themselves from the booster. What it illustrates to me is that even when the chips are stacked to the ceiling, ISU still makes poor decisions.

It also tells me that the athletic department is severely fractured and there is a level of mistrust that cannot be accurately written or verbalized. Both letter leaks came from athletic department employees, so the division in the ranks are apparent. If you remember a short time ago, Tingey issues an order that all athletic department employees cease from participating in discussions on the Den. We now know why that directive was issued.

Gang your athletic department is in trouble. The ISU athletic department has long suffered a lack of professionalism, from a lack of continuity of athletic directors, to ill-trained, inexperienced and underpaid staff.

Finally, smile...the NCAA has been reading this board in great detail over the past month or so and in particular this week.

The whole thing stinks: Cub's bullshit TMZ tell all will the department even exist attitude... Tingey's obvious immaturity.... NEW ahole posters who don't give a shit about this university..... And most of all Art f'n Vailas.

Clearly, as Cub said, this site is tainted, If anyone is up for it we should think about starting a new community when this whole thing blows over because it will.

Latest posts

Back