• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

NCAA Violations

bengalcub said:
Finally, smile...the NCAA has been reading this board in great detail over the past month or so and in particular this week.

Ha, ha, ha. Really, Cub? Have they nothing better to do? The dollars are so big, but, nothing is going on at Auburn? Boise State isn't up to anything (except lack of institutional control)? Idaho State is one of the very few institutions under investigation? Face it, money has corrupted college athletics and the NCAA is broken and will be going away. The NCAA folks should keep reading, I suspect you won't have a job in ten or twenty years.

This isn't about Auburn or BSU. This is about ISU. Hopefully the NCAA will realize this is a isolated incident. Im not happy. IF the booster really was paying players I wish he would have had a better eye for talent. Bengalcub wants what is best for ISU. There is no doubt about that and keep up the good work CUB :clap:

I don't know if this may be a part of this whole thing or not, but it does make one wonder if O'Brien new that this might come out and that is the biggest reason he resigned. Then you have his assistant move up, and really folks, I was one that thought he would be the right man for the job but it now looks like he might have a double yellow line running down his back like a no passing zone. Then, none of us could figure out why Evans selected none of the OB(BO) staff. Did he get a whiff of this and decide to make a clean sweep of the house? If so, very smart on his part. At least it looks like Evans and his staff are clean and maybe the reason that we haven't heard much about the signing of recruits. Maybe the recruits that his staff were looking at were already tainted by this paticular booster.

Actually, Bandit, it is my understanding that Tim Walsh was retained from the O'Brien staff. That may have changed, but he is still listed as an assistant on the ISU website.

Sadly, Evan's did get a whiff of this very soon after he was hired. I don't think Evan's will be implicated in any guilt, but I believe he will pay a heavy price for what is transpiring.

I feel bad for him. As a brand new coach, having this negativity surrounding his basketball program cannot help him at all. When it is all said and done, the basketball program could face NCAA sanctions and that can't help with recruiting one bit. Plus, he has all the negative press in print and the media attention going on outside of Pocatello. My hell, this story is all over the airwaves up here in the Boise market. This is most likely the last opportunity that Evan's will have to be a head coach at the division 1 level or anywhere for that matter. I think he deserves better.

Wow, now the NCAA is poking around on bengal den? Maybe the BCS can get involved since they and the ncaa have all the right answers.

Funny how the football players get all the gifts,trinkets, etc when they go to these bcs bowl games. Funny how the BCS folks get all these perks,$$$, etc for putting on the dog and pony show. If you (NCAA) are reading this why don't you go invest all your time into the BCS. I am sure you can dig up more dirt? That would take all the $$$ away now wouldn't it?? It is a joke just like you are. That is my opinion. The BCS elite schools should be protected, but the weak frail schools with no $$$ will be poked and prodded. What a complete JOKE!

I have heard this and that but not enough to make my own decision as to what has happened with this story but I will say one thing. When I was on the board of boosters Paul Bubb and company said if you are ever in doubt or if there are any questions to whether you can do this or that , Please call me or anyone else to clarify the do's and dont's of player/player family interactions. I thought that was a great idea. A phone call to him actually saved me from violating an ncaa rule. Which in fact I thought was a joke also from the ncaa!

GO BENGALS! BE STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bengalcub, Sorry, I forgot that Tim Walsh is still on the staff. As far as I know you are correct on that. I also agree with you about Coach Evans. A very well respected guy with a very good resume. This has to be a terrible blow to the program that he invisioned building at ISU if the NCAA files sanctions against ISU. Of course, had he got a whif of this before he signed, ISU would still be looking for a coach, and even at that it might have been a blessing to him. There is also the old saying the "nice guys finish last", and this could be the case with a good coach. So, now we wonder if anything would have been said if Martin had been retained. Probably not huh? These things can come back to bite you as we seen in the case at Penn State.

Personally, I do not believe that Martin would have came forward. As this whole thing trickles out and the names become public, folks will see that people were afraid to say anything about what they suspected because they feared retaliation. That will make more sense soon.

With that said, I believe this whole thing going public is about revenge. It was on the hush for so long before, I have no reason to doubt that it would have stayed hush for longer. Although the coaches may have been frustrated by the boosters interactions, they took what benefited them, grit their teeth and took it.

When Martin was passed over those fears went away.

People have made the argument in PM's that it is easy to see why folks kept it quiet, because they were fearful of retaliation. But that is weak to me. Why would you ever want to work for a department that you feared? So, if the prior coaching staff was fearful, why would they want to stay with the program and all the fear that went with it?

I think this stuff happens all the time all around the country. The difference is how stupid the administration was to ignore the danger signs that were obviously present.

As Bio said, this whole thing stinks. Trust me I hate knowing.

-Cub TMZ DEN

As much as it hurts to have all this come out to the public, it is best that it has. Who wants all this decay festuring underground? There's no substitute for doing the right thing for the right reasons, even if you're pulled kicking and screaming to reality. If this has been going on for several years, then this may have been the only way for us to face change. Hate to admit it, but Deane may have done us a real service in forcing us to clean up our act. He may have wanted to hurt us, but he will only end up helping us face ourselves--and change.

Nice post bill_idaflls. Face it head on, move forward, and get on with it. WE are Bengal fans, and we will support this university.

bill_idaflls said:
As much as it hurts to have all this come out to the public, it is best that it has. Who wants all this decay festuring underground? There's no substitute for doing the right thing for the right reasons, even if you're pulled kicking and screaming to reality. If this has been going on for several years, then this may have been the only way for us to face change. Hate to admit it, but Deane may have done us a real service in forcing us to clean up our act. He may have wanted to hurt us, but he will only end up helping us face ourselves--and change.

:+1: :clap:

Bill, that is a great post and I have never taken time to look at it that way.

My fear is that all the blame is going to be placed on the booster and the rest will be ignored. I hope that I am wrong.

Serious evaluation and changes (whatever they may be) must take place and accountability needs to be taken. I look at the Vailas situation on lower campus, APR issues, eligibility issues, compliance issues and this booster situation and all of these things have taken place in a relatively short time span. Sadly, all these issues were very preventable.

Personally, I'm fed up with it. I am at the point where it is time to step away. I am tired of knowing and being told, I just want to be a fan that goes to the games. I remember when I dreamed of competitive seasons, Big Sky Championships and an occasional playoff appearance in football or an NCAA birth in basketball. Now all I can do is analyze the inner workings of the athletic department and it takes all the fun out of being a fan. No crying here, its just a pretty hefty burden and obligation to fight a fight for those that need to remain nameless. Sleepless nights, what to say and when to say it? What is the motive of what is being shared? All those things just plain take a toll over time.

So, I will take the credit for time served and move on to being a fan. Realizing that I can change nothing and knowing the problems that exist and plague the ISU athletic department will probably continue to exist. Transformation from an optimist to a pessimist is now complete.

I am not going to agree with you one this one Bengalcub. Why? Well ISU needs a fan base like yourself. Someone that has been supporting them for about 35 years. Where else are we going to get info from what seems a deep well and a reliable source. I would like ISU to become competitive in all sports since I grew up and was educated in Idaho. I have to admit that I have never been a strong supportinf fan of any Idaho college. I went to Utah State and I don't have to explain any further about USU fans. For some reason, if you went there you never really get it out of your system. My love for them started back in the early 50"s when my close cousin went there. She brain washed the rest of us with my brother and myself both going to USU. Last summer I thought I was going to become an avid Basketball fan of ISU but that didn't turn out very well. I'm the guy that sent you an e-mail about a recruit. So, I have had a few issues with the past basketball staff and was very happy that Coach Evans was going to take over the program. Now, with all this mess that is going on, he is facing some very hard issues that he is completely innocent of. Stay the course Mate!

Bengalcub, a great man once said:
He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/martin_luther_king_jr_2.html#bBqVlWghLpBeHAxQ.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are those of us who want to get this right. Lead the way my friend.

Cub, you bring clarity to a lot of murky situations--and you always have. Of course it's easy for us to say, "Keep carrying on", because we don't know the heavy load you carry. I appreciate your perspective and your love of the sport. Simply put, "Thanks for your love of the Bengals and for all you are and all you do."

Thanks for the support on here and the PM's. My intent was not to fish for kudos.

Anger, guilt and the feeling of disappointing a few it gets to me. Plus, I don't want alienate Bengal fans and make the Den a place they don't wanna come back to.

I'll be active just less active and less rambling...

Key Piece...

- The alleged booster and AD Jeff Tingey are friends, which may further be complicating (or maybe, did complicate) the investigation by Tingey into the matter

Read entire blog:http://www.bigskybball.com/2012/06/idaho-state-observations-conjectures.html

Now go back to the thread on the Den...

http://bengals.bigskyfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4740

The OB camp, in my opinion was trying to intimidate the administration into hiring Martin by showing its hand but not playing the card. Excluding that, we can clearly see now that the Booster was in fact on the ISU basketball search committee. This further illustrates the boosters relevance and depth of interaction within the athletic department. There lies the solution to the problem, not the deed, but the opportunity to identify elevated risk and to eliminate risky behavior and any potential future damage it could possible cause.

EQUATION FOR DISASTER CREATION

Big Money + Donor + Cash Strapped Institution + Voting Committee Member = Can't Say NO

Our job is to solve for saying NO more easily. Some variables are easier to eliminate.

Latest posts

Back