• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New Women’s Basketball Head Coach

HornetHope

Not sure if you all saw this, but the women’s program took a huge step forward with the new HC. The article is below, watch the YouTube interview. Exciting times ahead!

https://www.hornetsports.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/20210415unhv3a

I was unaware that Harkleroad was gone. I would have been more comfortable with the hire of Sherri Murrell or Gillian d'Hondt, though....

Kadeezy said:
Orr really pulled out a hell of hire on this one! Campbell was A high major HC waiting to happen.

Agreed, very impressive hire. We'll see how our atrocious facilities impacts Campbell's rebuild efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZRnESzxLk

Kadeezy: You think this might be a spur to FINALLY getting a facilities upgrade? This mix of using that junior high gym and the Memorial Auditorium (also quite cramped, and with other issues) has GOT to go....

Golden 1 is always there for use. Not sure why both MBB and WBB haven't used it more to be honest. Probably harder to justify for WBB, but a game or 2 there would certainly benefit the program.

SDHornet said:
Golden 1 is always there for use. Not sure why both MBB and WBB haven't used it more to be honest. Probably harder to justify for WBB, but a game or 2 there would certainly benefit the program.

True that, SD, but the unfamiliarity (unless it were to be a "regular" home, which would not be feasible because the Kings would have scheduling priority) might mitigate any effects of a higher gate. Also, if COVID lasts much longer (yes, I know we're supposed to "officially" re-open the economy 15 JUN, but there have been statements from the Dictator indicating that he might backtrack that), given that the State Legislature has been using Golden 1 to facilitate social distancing between legislators and staff, I highly doubt that we'd get much traction in using it. Plus, the rent fees (given those bogus luxury suites) might well be prohibitive. I'd much rather have a 10K arena on or near campus that exclusively belongs to our team. But as a one-off (i.e. somehow we get a team like Gonzaga to actually complete a home-and-home contract without buying their way out of the return trip), it would be a nice deal if we could afford it....

Super Hornet said:
SDHornet said:

True that, SD, but the unfamiliarity (unless it were to be a "regular" home, which would not be feasible because the Kings would have scheduling priority) might mitigate any effects of a higher gate. Also, if COVID lasts much longer (yes, I know we're supposed to "officially" re-open the economy 15 JUN, but there have been statements from the Dictator indicating that he might backtrack that), given that the State Legislature has been using Golden 1 to facilitate social distancing between legislators and staff, I highly doubt that we'd get much traction in using it. Plus, the rent fees (given those bogus luxury suites) might well be prohibitive. I'd much rather have a 10K arena on or near campus that exclusively belongs to our team. But as a one-off (i.e. somehow we get a team like Gonzaga to actually complete a home-and-home contract without buying their way out of the return trip), it would be a nice deal if we could afford it....

Wrong mentality. The purpose of using Golden 1 is to boost the profile of the program(s) to help with recruiting, scheduling, and outreach. I doubt there is any hope of covering the rental fees associated with Golden 1 so the admin should probably go in thinking of it as an added expenditure. If used, it would probably have to be a double header with MBB to get more bang for the buck.

A first ever Big Sky basketball title for Sac State would be a nice goal for Coach Campbell and his staff and players.

Then maybe a first ever Sac State basketball appearance in the NCAA Division I tourney would be another nice goal..

And filling tiny Hornet Gym with fans for weekend contests at least might be a good goal to shoot for as well.

Coach Campbell has been part of the huge growth of women's basketball in the Pac 12 conference over the past 5 to 10 years.

Really looking forward to seeing what he and his staff and players can generate this comeing season and beyond.

If you follow the WBB social media accounts - it’s clear that this staff is not messing around. They are bringing in key transfers and overseas players that will have an immediate impact.

It’s early, but don’t be surprised if Campbell is only around for 2-3 years and then on to a Pac-12 gig after turning things around.

Again.

Looking for Sac State to win a first ever Big Sky basketball title .

And we know they have to do it in Hornet Gym. Needs to be done with what facility we have. So make it somehow a plus, a story of a winning program in a gym.

We already know the support will be there for a winning team.
It was there when the women went to the NIT.

Coach Campbell and his team shall easily fill up the gym and make it over flow into good things coming soon

No reason why the Hornet women's basketball team can become a very popular sports team on campus and in the community.

Trust the Hornet sports marketing staff is getting off their butts and getting behind what is coming.

Kadeezy said:
If you follow the WBB social media accounts - it’s clear that this staff is not messing around. They are bringing in key transfers and overseas players that will have an immediate impact.

It’s early, but don’t be surprised if Campbell is only around for 2-3 years and then on to a Pac-12 gig after turning things around.

I hope Mark Orr was savvy enough to throw a buy-out clause in Campbell’s contract (Troy Taylor’s contract also) so that the programs can get some much needed cash when a PAC12 school decides to hire them away.

Congratulations to Coach Campbell for the first Hornet victory as the new head coach.

The Hornets were down by as many as 18 in the third quarter and came storming back to win by 10 over San Jose State in front of a loud, near sell out crowd at Hornet Gym Hornet

This following a good showing at Cal in the season opener. Down to the bears by only 6 points before falling by 19 in the end ,.

Roll on Hornets

stingers Up

The Hornets are on fire.

The team has won 9 of the last 10 Big Sky games and faces Weber State
on Thursday, looking to avenge a 3 point loss in Ogden. Then take on first place
Idaho State on Saturday, a team Sac State beat in Reed Gym at ISU by 16 points
Idaho State is 12-3. Hornets are 9-5 after starting BSC play at 0-4.
The team is 13-10 overall, the biggest turn around in victories in school history. Only 3 wins total last season .
And the individual and team statistical achievements in conference and on the national Division I level is
quite impressive.

The team is fun to watch and takes on all challenges with great energy and a great game plan . Can beat any opponent in the Big Sky

Montana and Montana State are the only other BSC teams the Hornets have yet to beat in addition to Weber All 3 opponents will be coming to Hornet Gym . Only one road trip (Idaho and EWU) left in the regular season . before the Big Sky Tourney starts.

Hope to see some big crowds at Hornet Gym for the 4
remaining home games this season. Going to be exciting.

Go Sac State

Stingers Up!!

Solid opening season for Campbell and this team by going 14-16 (10-10 BSC). Would have been nice to see a 1st round win in the BSCT, but good progress was made this year. If Campbell can have another solid recruiting class, this program should be in the thick of the BSC next season.

Kadeezy said:

Yup.

Latest posts

Back