• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Next Coach....

truhooper

I personally think that...ISU needs a coach who will define this program. You look at other collegiate basketball programs such as; Purdue, Duke, Butler, Marquette, Kansas, Baylor etc. Players know the expections as a recruit or as a player. They know these bball programs will work hard, compete at a high level, defend, and run a good offense with all five players on the court. I look at ISU and there's nothing to look forward to as a program. Player doesn't know what to expect from this program bc of the lack of play, bad recruiting, and weak offense. The next coach should define this program as such.....starting with recruiting. Every year there's one player that carries the team while others watch. Sorry to say, but there is no good-elite player in Idaho...I just don't see any local recruit who can change this program.

Honestly, I would expect the next coach to wipe the whole program....including getting rid of some players on the team now.

A coaching change almost always sees some attrition. Glanz already quit, but any new coach for this program has to be careful about getting rid of players. Otherwise, you start getting yourself into the APR problems which football has already shown us.

Who should ISU look at for the next coach? Who would you like to see apply?

I am of the opinion that APR will play a major role in the hoops program from now well into the future. I believe the next coach will come in short-handed and it will take years to get this team back to its full compliment of scholarships.

The new coach cannot come in and clean-house. Doing so will hurt the program well into the future. Much like the football team, the new coach will need to come in and re-recruit players and at A MINIMUM keep them eligible through the spring semester.

Look at the new GPA requirements that have been upgraded since the fall. Why? Because both flagship programs at ISU are mired in an APR HELL. Now the hoops team may slide buy without NCAA penalties, but if they do it won't be my much. My guess, in the spring the Men's basketball team will lose scholarships.

With the spring semester set to start, I can only hope that all the players are eligible to play during the conference portion of the schedule.

Not trying to be all doomsday and crap, but the single biggest challenge for the next basketball coach will be stabilizing the APR. Idaho State's Division I status and Big Sky status could ultimately depend on it.

Can anyone tell me how many universities across the nation have APR restrictions in Football and Men's basketball?

No insider information here, just a hunch. I hope I am very wrong.

I agree with Troy on the importance of the next coach controlling APR, and how it will take a couple of years to get the slate cleaned properly. Here's a side thought about a potential candidate that has been mentioned: Coach Hawkins is a guidance counselor who's number one responsibility is graduating over 100 students every year. Yes different rules then the APR, but similar responsibility. But lets not over look that wiping the slate clean. This year there will be 5-7 scholarships available, so whomever comes in will have to bring 5 starters to the 12-13 season. Can Hawkins do that? To me if he can prove that to the committee then potentially you have someone who can coach, work on the APR and eligibility, and fill the seats with fans.

I'm not trying to be contrary...just asking what you're basing your statement on that Hawkins can "fill the seats with fans"? Having grown up in Madison County, I can tell you folks from Rexburg and Sugar City will not come to our games just because we have a coach from there. Players from the Upper Valley is a different story...as Logan Kinghorn and Kyle Stevens proved...fans of theirs came to watch them play (or not play very much, as was the case with Kyle). Fans will come for local players, but just because a coach is from east Idaho...I don't think so. Now it may give him an edge in recruiting Idaho kids, but again, there aren't that many every year that can play D-1 ball.

What recruiting ties does Hawkins bring to the table? How many people come to watch a coach? We need someone who has ties to recruiting.

Latest posts

Back