• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Offensive Line

Moderators do not have to allow every post onto this board. Moderators should screen some of this "in house" bickering and name calling. Our purpose is to discuss and share our ideas about ISU football.

Reborn2010 said:
Moderators do not have to allow every post onto this board. Moderators should screen some of this "in house" bickering and name calling. Our purpose is to discuss and share our ideas about ISU football.

Moderators also don't have the time to basically ride herd over everything and every thread on this board either. At least I don't.

How about those posting have some personal responsibility too?

I'm doing what I can, trying to be fair...I've given warnings and have also made it clear to everyone, enough.

If someone wants to try me further, I'll take the appropriate steps.

Thank you,
PBP

up for the challenge said:
What happened to BengalCub? You never hear from him anymore.

I thought I saw where he posted that he was leaving the site...I think he mentioned something about being tired of some of the posters (although I wouldn't swear to that...)

PBP

PBP said:
What happened to BengalCub? You never hear from him anymore.

I thought I saw where he posted that he was leaving the site...I think he mentioned something about being tired of some of the posters (although I wouldn't swear to that...)

PBP

Sorry to hear that. I am glad you are not tired of posters (although I would not swear to that). Lol

Back to the topic. This teams troubles are more than the OL. That's an easy cop out. The fact of the matter is the top tier BSC teams have better players at almost every position. As I have said on here many times .... if you had the opportunity, as an athlete, to go to UM or ISU where would you go?

bhumble said:
Back to the topic. This teams troubles are more than the OL. That's an easy cop out. The fact of the matter is the top tier BSC teams have better players at almost every position. As I have said on here many times .... if you had the opportunity, as an athlete, to go to UM or ISU where would you go?

Hard to argue with that post although to be fair I don't think ISU and UM go head to head for many recruits in football.

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, Idaho has returning to the Big Sky on ISU's recruiting in the state.

PBP

PBP said:
bhumble said:

Hard to argue with that post although to be fair I don't think ISU and UM go head to head for many recruits in football.

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, Idaho has returning to the Big Sky on ISU's recruiting in the state.

PBP
Of course they don't go head to head. UM, EWU, ND, NDSU, MSU ... maybe even CPSLO and UNA , all get to "pick" before we do. If you have an offer from UM, or other to tier teams, ISU doesn't have a chance.

bhumble said:
PBP said:
bhumble said:

PBP
Of course they don't go head to head. UM, EWU, ND, NDSU, MSU ... maybe even CPSLO and UNA , all get to "pick" before we do. If you have an offer from UM, or other to tier teams, ISU doesn't have a chance.

Case in point: Montana already has 10 recruiting commitments for next year. If ISU has any they haven't publicly declared. It would be an interesting exercise to survey ISU's current players and see how many of them turned down bonafide offers from other Big Sky schools. I'm sure there are some, but I'd guess not a lot. If you think about it, ISU's biggest recruiting grounds are Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California. Boise State, BYU, Utah, Utah State and the PAC12 schools get first call on the best Idaho kids. Most of the Big Sky schools recruit in California, so ISU is going to have to outrecruit not just SAC and Cal-Poly but Montana, MSU and NAU for the best FCS kids there. And of course the best FCS kids in Washington and Oregon have good alternatives in their own states. The Bengals also face their own higher academic standards, and they have to overcome their lack of historical success and a culture that may not be all that attractive to kids who don't come from rural areas. All of this makes recruiting at ISU an uphill battle. It's not impossible, but it's darn tough.

Skippy said:
bhumble said:
PBP said:
bhumble said:

PBP

Case in point: Montana already has 10 recruiting commitments for next year. If ISU has any they haven't publicly declared. It would be an interesting exercise to survey ISU's current players and see how many of them turned down bonafide offers from other Big Sky schools. I'm sure there are some, but I'd guess not a lot. If you think about it, ISU's biggest recruiting grounds are Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California. Boise State, BYU, Utah, Utah State and the PAC12 schools get first call on the best Idaho kids. Most of the Big Sky schools recruit in California, so ISU is going to have to outrecruit not just SAC and Cal-Poly but Montana, MSU and NAU for the best FCS kids there. And of course the best FCS kids in Washington and Oregon have good alternatives in their own states. The Bengals also face their own higher academic standards, and they have to overcome their lack of historical success and a culture that may not be all that attractive to kids who don't come from rural areas. All of this makes recruiting at ISU an uphill battle. It's not impossible, but it's darn tough.

Bingo! you said it much more elegantly than I but I think our point is the same. And then, throw in declining enrollment and therefore reduced athletic budgets. I wouldn't be supersede if ISU drops football within the next 10 years, and, it would be hard to argue against them. ISU football has been a train wreck for 30 years minus a few good seasons. Plus, we have one of the best coaches in the BSC. We simply can't get the horses.

You guys make it sound like Kramer is forced to recruit in certain places. and it also sounds like only a certain type of lower caliber athlete wants to come to Idaho. IMHO Idaho is the greatest state in the union. D1 Football is a dream for several hundred thousand players nationwide.
Soooo why can't we find 20-30 butt kickers who will come to ISU and win? I'll tell you it ain't because of lack of "athletes" who want to win anywhere.

We have not only got to have boys with potential (we have those) and coaches that can recruit (I think we got those ) but those coaches have to be able to take those potential boys they recruit and turn them into D1 football players through good coaching.

Somewhere we have a disconnect, between freshmen year boys and D1 players, you guys do the math...

Bengal_believer said:
You guys make it sound like Kramer is forced to recruit in certain places. and it also sounds like only a certain type of lower caliber athlete wants to come to Idaho. IMHO Idaho is the greatest state in the union. D1 Football is a dream for several hundred thousand players nationwide.
Soooo why can't we find 20-30 butt kickers who will come to ISU and win? I'll tell you it ain't because of lack of "athletes" who want to win anywhere.

We have not only got to have boys with potential (we have those) and coaches that can recruit (I think we got those ) but those coaches have to be able to take those potential boys they recruit and turn them into D1 football players through good coaching.

Somewhere we have a disconnect, between freshmen year boys and D1 players, you guys do the math...

because 100 other schools want the same players. So, ISU is forced to take the 20-30 "under the radar" kids and developed them? Doesn't work.... maybe a few but a team full?

Bengal_believer said:

Since Dave Kragthorpe left to become athletic director at Utah State in 1983, Idaho State has had 7 head football coaches, including Mike Kramer. Six left not of their own accord. Some had brief spells of success; none were able to sustain it long enough to avoid getting fired. This, to me, is a "trend" that speaks to systemic problems. To me these include outdated facilities (to Jeff Tingey's credit he's remedied some of those problems but the Dome is getting older and more worn every day), lack of deep pocket boosters, a limited fan base, and the lack of a natural recruiting base. All of these factors have conspired to make consistent winning a difficult proposition for ISU. We can all pick at individual coaching staffs and identify things they could do better, but history tells us there are bigger issues in play.

Believer,
idaho states all time winning percentage in football is what... .480, .490...?
the math suggests isu is historically a below average team
is there other math to which you are referring?

Where is BengalBannMan? He was a contributor and a moderator and we have not heard from him since the Sacramento game. Hope all is well with him.
Thanks for noticing my absence. it means a lot. sorry I have not been able to contribute as of late. I always have the Bengal in my heart, just had a few crazy weeks with work, and personal.

I would like to mention on the "off topic" topic of this threat about recruiting... ISU holds itself to a higher standard of academia when it comes to recruiting, and it hurts us on the field. I have a good friend who know many insiders across many teams in the Big Sky. One trainer who sends recruits to various schools called him up and said, "You gotta look at this kid I work with, he is a wide receiver." My friend then turned his name into the recruiters for ISU, and they pulled his info. they said they couldn't even bring him in for a visit because his grades were not where they needed to be according to ISU's standard. Keep in mind this kid meets ALL requirements set by NCAA. So we passed on the kid without a look or even a phone call. ...two weeks later, EWU signed him as a commitment for next year.

We have no recruiting problem at ISU as Kramer recruited and signed all of his players on the team. Kramer will tell you that there is no recruiting problem. Ask him...he will tell you that.

Cal Poly is probably the toughest school academically to get into besides UC Davis in the Big Sky and they seem to recruit ok. There are plenty of players that have 3.0 GPA and higher that are good football players. Look, if we cannot compete in the Big Sky because of not being able to get good players because of our academic standards than it is best to drop down to D2 and play teams like Dixie State, Simon Frazier, Central Washington, and Azusa Pacific.

spartan said:
Believer,
idaho states all time winning percentage in football is what... .480, .490...?
the math suggests isu is historically a below average team
is there other math to which you are referring?

I believe he was referring to Kramer record which is 18 wins 44 losses in the Big Sky as of today while being the Head Coach at ISU. One of those numbers will change this Saturday at NAU.

Latest posts

Back