• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

OT: Finalists for ISU President Named

Skippy

https://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/five-finalists-named-for-isu-president-s-post/article_8408dd7b-ef9d-5bb0-a477-6be50f355896.html

Of interest: Weber State president, and BSU chief counsel.

The first one, Satterlee from bSu, was on campus yesterday. Some interesting perspective.

Acting as the institution’s primary fundraiser is another primary role a university president must fulfill, said Satterlee, adding that to accomplish that goal a president must create excitement for each specific donor so that “they will feel good about giving” money to ISU.

Asked about ISU’s financial stability as it relates to sources of revenue and the university’s small amount of bonding over the last decade, Satterlee said he would describe ISU as being underbonded.

“At some point there is a healthy amount of debt,” Satterlee said. “An objective view of your campus would say you underutilize that. But do not go out and get into bond debt for the sake of doing a project. Go out and get into bond debt when you have a physical and strategic masterplan.”

https://idahostatejournal.com/members/first-isu-president-candidate-visits-pocatello-idaho-falls-campuses/article_d2d4ed4b-1b2d-5735-ac35-9e323d9060ac.html

There are 2 other candidates (of the 5) who have extremely successful fundraising backgrounds.

During yesterday's faculty & staff forum with candidate Laura Woodworth-Ney, Kent Tingey comfirmed the Idaho State University Foundation approved the university's second ever capital campaign. It's in the quiet phase, and capital projects are being assessed.

...sasquatch.....i'm asking....so indications are that it is for athletics ?....or was the purpose mentioned or discussed ?............

It wasn't mentioned specifically for athletics, but in the article about the arena in the Idaho State Journal earlier this year, Jeff Tingey alluded to a capital campaign in the planning stages. He said it could be something that is an option for fundraising.

Kent Tingey's question was mostly a softball lob to Woodworth-Ney, since she was getting hammered by other members of the faculty. She answered that she would get behind a capital campaign and seek capital projects. Phenicie, Borich and some others were there as well.

In the case of candidate Satterlee, I found it interesting that he thinks ISU is under bonded. Jeff has come out in the past and said that he doesn't want to bond for a new arena, and that might be his stance or that of the current university administration.

I'm mostly interested in the candidates' takes on things as they could affect athletics. I'm not necessarily behind anybody at this point It's long been beaten to death that Richard Bowen was very anti-athletics, so I wouldn't want another in that regard. Fundraising, be it for a new arena or something entirely different, is important.

A-men on the Bowen statement, Boosters need to watch this hire closely, if they want to bring back men`s sports. GO BENGALS

I don't mean to jump ahead, but Dr. Ricardo Azziz (who will be the last of the candidates to appear on campus), wrote a piece in 2014 regarding college athletics..

Well-run collegiate sports programs enhance faculty, student, alumni, and community engagement and alignment; they increase the value of the university brand; they drive enrollment and academic excellence; and they drive revenue for other auxiliaries (e.g., athletic paraphernalia sales). Multiple studies have shown alumni athletes donate more often and more dollars than non-athletes.

The student athlete is a truly exceptional individual. NCAA data demonstrate that the percentage of high school athletes who end up being able to compete at the collegiate level is very low (depending on the sport, between 3.3 and 11.3 percent). So sports programs allow us to attract truly exceptional young people to our universities, many of whom are of diverse or under-represented backgrounds and who serve as role models for our under-represented and majority student populations alike.

So, yes, let’s shine a bright light on problems in collegiate athletics, and let’s institute necessary reforms. Let’s ensure we always put the good of our student athletes first. But let’s not overreact and lose the tremendous potential collegiate sports hold for universities and students alike. We shouldn’t be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Dr. Ricardo Azzia: The Value of Collegiate Athletics

There is a terrific editorial in the Journal today by the Journal Board on ISU's situation and how the State Board must pick not just a president but a home run hire. It lists the issues impacting the university and the relationship with the community. It chastises to a degree the State Board and touches on athletics.

A very good read! Don't know if it is available on-line but it is in the print edition.

PBP

....PBP.....just read that article you are referring to.....couldn't agree more with your comments....sure hope the members of SBOE get a copy and read it.........

Charles Wight, current president of Weber State, made the rounds today. During his leadership at Weber, he led a campaign which raised over $160M for different projects. He gave detail on creating and strengthening bridges with the university and community.

Like the other candidates, he had a graphic presentation to help people get to know him better. He apologized for all the purple in the pictures, and he promised to replace it all with orange if he's selected. :lol:

I believe Weber has been lucky to have him.

I have to say, just reading the Journal's coverage of Wight's presentation, I was impressed with his answers to difficult questions. Of course, this is just a tiny snippet of who the guy is, but he at least appears to be striking the right chords:

https://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/isu-president-finalist-talks-governance-enrollment-during-campus-visits/article_c8b57511-a0dd-5812-a873-106b22377799.html

The last candidate, Dr. Robert "Don't call me Bob" Marley, visited today.

He has a proven track record in fundraising, including helping secure the largest single private donation while he was at Montana State ($50M). He acknowledged that there are some facilities at ISU which need some work, but he didn't specify which ones.

In an example about increasing graduation rates, he discussed college athletes. He said they generally have higher grad rates compared to the general student population.

Another quality candidate, as best I can tell.

https://idahostatejournal.com/members/last-isu-presidential-finalist-holds-open-forums-in-pocatello-idaho/article_bf90bd36-0b08-5345-a31c-c9918cdedc95.html

Anyone heard anything lately about the search for a new president. This could impact ISU Athletics as much as who the coaches are.

Story in Journal today said it is down to Woodworth, Wight and Satterlee.

All will be interviewed by the state board on April 2.

PBP

It certainly seems like Dr. Wight would be the favorite to lead the university, when you look at his wealth of experience he's had at Weber. But why would he want to be president at ISU after holding the same position at Weber? Looks like a lateral move to me.

boisebengal said:
It certainly seems like Dr. Wight would be the favorite to lead the university, when you look at his wealth of experience he's had at Weber. But why would he want to be president at ISU after holding the same position at Weber? Looks like a lateral move to me.

It sounds like Wight is looking for a new challenge and Weber and ISU are very different institutions.

While ISU has many challenges that Weber does not have, particularly community support and enrollment, ISU does offer something different because of the emphasis on graduate school, # of campus locations, and unique statewide role.

Latest posts

Back