• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Phenicie’s New Contract

Skippy

The State Board will review the new contract for ISU Coach Rob Phenicie at its next meeting beginning Wednesday in Twin Falls. The three-year contract has a base salary of $ 165K, with incentives of up to $226K total compensation.

Interestingly, Phenicie has agreed to waive the right to a percentage of the take from “money games,” opting instead to give 1 percent of the payment to each assistant coach if ISU loses, and 3 percent if they win.

Details of the contract can be found here:

https://boardofed.idaho.gov/meetings/board/archive/2017/1220-2117/08%20BAHR-HR.pdf?cache=1513636343743

I don't see a media bonus, which is usually a "guaranteed" addition. Pages 43 & 44 of the document lists the base salaries and perks of the other Big Sky football coaches. Jay Hill of Weber State was just given a raise, so his base is now $185,000 (with a "guaranteed" bonus ranging anywhere from $75,000 to $90,000, as reported last week by the Standard-Examiner).

A lot of you will NOT like what is presented in the following post, so STOP HERE. A 2017 record of 2-9 overall, 1-7 conference. All that made possible by standing on Mike Kramer's shoulders. Long ago, I stated if ISU wanted to make a comeback, Kramer was the only hope. If he couldn't do it, it couldn't be done. He didn't produce the turn around I had hoped for. Close, but no cigar. Phenicie, has been fired eventually everywhere. ISU does not need a new football HC, it needs a new AD who can see that football at ISU is dead, boosters now in the cemetery south of campus. The fan base has literally died off. On the decline since '81, it has been a bottom feeder now for two generations. Holt arena has seen good football recently, maybe the school district could buy it and continue the venue. ISU football is dead, stick a fork in it.

otis campbell said:
A lot of you will NOT like what is presented in the following post, so STOP HERE. A 2017 record of 2-9 overall, 1-7 conference. All that made possible by standing on Mike Kramer's shoulders. Long ago, I stated if ISU wanted to make a comeback, Kramer was the only hope. If he couldn't do it, it couldn't be done. He didn't produce the turn around I had hoped for. Close, but no cigar. Phenicie, has been fired eventually everywhere. ISU does not need a new football HC, it needs a new AD who can see that football at ISU is dead, boosters now in the cemetery south of campus. The fan base has literally died off. On the decline since '81, it has been a bottom feeder now for two generations. Holt arena has seen good football recently, maybe the school district could buy it and continue the venue. ISU football is dead, stick a fork in it.
Sorry Otis, you're incorrect on our 2017 record and the buzz around the program and the school is much better than you think. ISU is on it's way up and it's folks such as yourself that spread misinformation and negativity that fuel our fire. Phen in his very first year as a HC won an FBS game and had a better record than Kramer the previous 2 years with nearly the same roster. We have some ballers coming up and coming in. Don't you worry about ISU.

Speaking of defense.... what is the coaching situation for next year? I haven’t heard any additions to the defensive coaching staff or coaching changes elsewhere on the team for that matter.

I hope there is money left for a proven D.C. The only wild card that could start to fill the dome and start to use those 7000 empty seats and 5000 under used seats. There also have been seats behind the end zones in the 70's. GO BENGALS

up for the challenge said:
The defense has some good players returning but are they good enough to be the #1 defense in the league?

They don't have to be #1 to show improvement...simply moving into the middle of the pack will help immensely.

PBP

PBP said:
up for the challenge said:
The defense has some good players returning but are they good enough to be the #1 defense in the league?

They don't have to be #1 to show improvement...simply moving into the middle of the pack will help immensely.

PBP

I would think the goal would for us to become the #1 defense in the BSC.

[/quote]

Anything is better than dead last. Sure leading the conference should be the goal. The reality is that's a long way off. Right now, small improvements would make a big difference.

Like Jeff said on the coaches show, you don't go from 2-9 to 9-2 overnight.

Just doesn't happen (without cheating).

Like it or not, this is going to take time.

PBP

PBP said:

Anything is better than dead last. Sure leading the conference should be the goal. The reality is that's a long way off. Right now, small improvements would make a big difference.

PBP
[/quote]

Why Is going to take time on defense? Are we not experienced players on defense going into next season?

PBP said:

PBP
[/quote]

Why is it going to take some time? Coach Kramer signed these players on defense throughout the years during his rebuild years. They are experienced players and should be at the top of their game by now. If not, back to square one and another long season in 2018 as the schedule will be much tougher in 2018.
I am hoping Coach Phen signs some JUCO players to raise the level on defense but it sounds like from you that will not happen. You are probably right if Coach Phen philosophy is to only sign a few JUCOs every season.

Why is it going to take some time? Coach Kramer signed these players on defense throughout the years during his rebuild years. They are experienced players and should be at the top of their game by now. If not, back to square one and another long season in 2018 as the schedule will be much tougher in 2018.
I am hoping Coach Phen signs some JUCO players to raise the level on defense but it sounds like from you that will not happen. You are probably right if Coach Phen philosophy is to only sign a few JUCOs every season. [/quote]

The defensive secondary is a mess. In the Big Sky that is an absolute killer. If you can't cover, you can't win...it's that simple. That has to be rebuilt and it's going to take time. To me that is the biggest weakness in the defense which should be very good from a linebacker standpoint and defensive front.

But again...no secondary, you can't stop people, you don't win a lot.

PBP

PBP said:
I am hoping Coach Phen signs some JUCO players to raise the level on defense but it sounds like from you that will not happen. You are probably right if Coach Phen philosophy is to only sign a few JUCOs every season.

The defensive secondary is a mess. In the Big Sky that is an absolute killer. If you can't cover, you can't win...it's that simple. That has to be rebuilt and it's going to take time. To me that is the biggest weakness in the defense which should be very good from a linebacker standpoint and defensive front.

But again...no secondary, you can't stop people, you don't win a lot.

PBP
[/quote]

I agree. How many years to get quality secondary? Why not this recruiting season?

I agree. How many years to get quality secondary? Why not this recruiting season?
[/quote]

It's hard to change 40+ years of history overnight. Things simply don't work that way.

PBP

[/quote]

It's hard to change 40+ years of history overnight. Things simply don't work that way.

PBP

PBP said:

PBP
[/

It is all up to coach Phen now. He has to win 50% of the games in the BSC or he will be gone too. Jeff hired coach Phen to win games not to rebuild from the foundation up like Kramer.

Kramer has the foundation in place, that's why PhenPhen did so well this year. With Phenicie's background, you can expect a let down in 2018. Tingey, or whomever his replacement might be, can start the nationwide HC search anytime. Doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different result each time, IS the definition of insanity. After a short stay at Portneuf Psych, he can get a bed in Blackfoot, for more longer term care. Happy trails!

Latest posts

Back