• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts, upgrade to remove ads and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your BigSkyFans.com experience today!

Portland State

Chex

Active member
I wouldn’t be deceived by the 0-4 record. Portland State had a great first half vs UC Davis but couldn’t finish it out.. I still think Weber State can get the win. I originally picked 7-5 at the first of the year, but the defense and injuries are getting me feeling I was way too optimistic. If they had an average defense, I think they could do it…but it’s probably a bridge too far this year. They may need to really think outside of the box and maybe do blitz heavy packages or possibly run a 3-4-4.

Wildcats 42 Vikings 38

Is Brown going to play or is Dahle starting from here on out?
 
I expect this one to be close all the way to the end. I really hope we see Brown and Tate Kjar back in the line up. I assume Ferguson won't go which hurts as well. In my opinion the next three games are all winnable but the team will need to continue to improve and take some big leaps on D.

WSU 38 - 31
 
I'm assuming that Brown will be ready to go soon and hoping that Ferguson mends fast. They haven't said how severe his knee injury was. I'm thinking that our D will improve some, but they have a long way to go.

We always seem to have our way with PSU. 45-14

Offense needs to have long sustained drives and the D needs to create some TOs.
 
I'm assuming that Brown will be ready to go soon and hoping that Ferguson mends fast. They haven't said how severe his knee injury was. I'm thinking that our D will improve some, but they have a long way to go.

We always seem to have our way with PSU. 45-14

Offense needs to have long sustained drives and the D needs to create some TOs.
I hope you are right!!
 
Chex was right on, appearances can be deceiving. Either Portland St. is much better than thought or the Wildcat defense is doing a good job...of making the Vikings offense look real good. So far, I wasn't prepared to see this & have to say it appears like the Wildcats weren't prepared either, or maybe surprised?

Maybe a second half reversal, but if not, opposing BSC offenses are going to love playing against Weber State's defense. QB Brown appears too rusty, a big hole for QB Dahle to try & bring the offense out of. Growing pains, UGH!

Second half, Wildcats fought back but fall just short in a wild, crazy game. Thoroughly entertaining at least, wow!
 
Last edited:
6 turnovers. The last one you can’t afford to make with OT pending. Dahle is good but very much a freshman. I hated that stupid 2 point conversion decision. Defense wasn’t ready to play to start the game, but then showed up as the offense got sloppy. They gave Portland State that win on a platter.

The refusal to run inside the two early on for two straight downs was puzzling, too. Not a good showing. Might only have 1-2 more shots at a win this year.
 
The good, the bad and the ugly.

GOOD: 700+ yards of offense. 41 points. The defense got some stops when it needed to and showed some growth/maturity. Two dimensional scheme with our top two RB's banged up isn't a bad sign. Shah isn't 100%.

Bad: losing to a really bad Portland State team. Weber should have won that game by 20+ points. At the very least, the Cats left 10 points on the field and gave the Vikings 17. These types of losses can do one of two things....

Ugly: 3 fumbles (one was a pass...that should have been overturned. Terrible call by the refs.), 3 interceptions (why on earth are we passing with less than a min to go?), 2 turnovers on downs inside the 5, missed field goal and giving up over 400 yards.

Does this loss make the team better? Does Coach go with Brown as the starter on Saturday in SLO (wish I could go to this one. LOVE Cal Poly's stadium and SLO in general. I highly recommend this as an away game to get to.).?
 
Weber's stadium looked pretty good on TV. Pretty surprised we got a win - figured we might go winless this year. Lucky one for PSU, probably would lose this game 9/10 times.

The broadcast for this game was really bad though. The announcers' audio was too low at times, and during commercials there was often 2 or even 3 different audio feeds playing (replayed audio of the commentary + advertisement audio + Big Sky promo audio). And the PA audio feed made it to the broadcast at a far higher volume than anything else. It reminded me of watching BSC games on Pluto TV, or even before Pluto on random streaming sites where they'd pump in the AM radio broadcast.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top