• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Possible Depth Chart

Loyal Fan

I've gone to a few more practices and I've been very impressed by how deep we are. If I had to guess, the depth chart may look something like this:

Center: Topalovic / Ingram
PF: Truman / McCord / Kimberley
SF: Chivichyan / Stutzman or Stutzman / Chivichyan (close call)
SG: Luzcando / Mocsan / Nakken
PG: Boyd / Dowd / Sutton / Garrity

A couple of other points:

1. What impresses me the most, is that the top two players at each spot have a legitimate argument that they are good enough to start. I think that Topalovic and Luzcando are the only two that have a starting position locked up, but their backups are going to push them and will provide very effective minutes. We have depth like we haven't had in many, many years.

2. Obviously, we are strongest at the Center and PF positions. They all bring something different to the table, and the interesting thing will be to see how Coach Evans mixes and matches all 4 players. In other years, Kimberley, the transfer from Australia, would probably push for playing time. He is very athletic for a big guy, but is still a little rough. With this lineup I think he will redshirt -- if he still has a redshirt year available.

3. Stutzman has to be awarded a hardship transfer to play immediately, but I understand that is at least a possibility. We should know in a few weeks. If he is eligible, he will definitely push Chivichyan and may actually be the starter. He brings some additional height, rebounding and defense, but obviously Gary is a lights out shooter when he gets going. If he isn't eligible, then Gary's backup may be an interesting issue. Maybe bring in Mocsan and go small, or McCord and go big on a few occasions.

4. Obviously we have some unresolved issues at the Point. My guess is that Boyd will start ahead of Dowd, but I may be wrong about that. Dowd's issue is going to be whether we can avoid having other teams take advantage of his lack of height -- particularly when we play man (which will probably be most of the time). But, he makes up a lot of inches in height with a motor that just doesn't stop. Boyd should be the starter, but he does have to develop a true point guard mentality and play better defense. I think everyone really likes Sutton as well, and Garrity is pretty iffy because of his knee. A lot of depth, but PG may be the one position where you want someone to just takeover and be the go-to guy. Not sure we have that person yet. In a dream world, Sam Dowd becomes that guy and Brandon plays more as a pure shooting guard, which is really his mentality.

5. All in all, I think we will be a much, much, much better team. Maybe that is one too many "muches," but you get the drift. With the football team's resurgence, it may turn out to be a pretty good year to be a Bengal.

One more thought that I forgot to mention. I just took a look at the official roster: http://www.isubengals.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

On my two deeps, Luzcando and Ingram are the only ones who will use up their eligibility this year. If we have a decent year, and I think we will, there is a really solid foundation for the future. Similar to the football team which will have a lot of starters back next year.

In looking at the non-conference schedule, I'd say the Bengals have an outside shot at going 7-4 before Big Sky play starts. I'd have to look it up, but I know it's been a l-o-n-g time since they went into conference play with a winning record. I'm not predicting they'll go 7-4, but I really don't see too many unwinnable games on that schedule. And wouldn't it be refreshing to start league play with a little momentum?

I have been excited about this year for months. Seems like nice depth and a good influx of talent. I am hopeful that they will defend better and hit from deep. Hit the three at a high clip, defend the arc above average and you win a good share of BSC games. At least that is my opinion.

Also, it's not often that Idaho State can say that they have a legitimate scoring threat at the 5.

Latest posts

Back