• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Potential Coaching Canidates...

bengalcub

Any opinions?

I have five:

Bruce Barnum/OC Portland State
James Ward/DB's Nevada
Mark Weber/OL BYU (considered with Zamberlin)
Mick McCall/OC Northwestern (considered with Zamberlin)
Johnny Nansen Special Teams/Recruiting/Defense Line Washington

All have Idaho State ties...

I'm going to say it, right now, per my devotions to EDSBS:

RON PRINCE

t1_princeblog.jpg

Cub, to clarify, Mark Rhea is at Western Carolina....we talked in the summer.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rhea_mark00.html

isusid said:
Cub, to clarify, Mark Rhea is at Western Carolina....we talked in the summer.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rhea_mark00.html

Just seeing if you were paying attention... :mrgreen:

bengalcub said:
Mike Kramer former Montana State HC?

Interesting suggestion, I would welcome Mike Kramer to Idaho State. However, Kramer was terminated from Montana State for failing to address APR issues, much like Z. He later settled with MSU for 240,000. It wouldn't matter anyway, Kramer was vocal in rejecting ISU when Lewis was hired, citing recruiting issues.

I was also going to suggest Mike Kramer. He has big sky experience and is a proven winner in the Big Sky conference. He won 4 Big Sky titles at two different schools pretty impressive. Maybe he rejected ISU for recruiting issues but where he has been out of football for the last 4 years I think he would definetly consider it now. For me he is the top canidate.

From WSU coaches profile:
"Kramer had previously served as the head coach at Montana State for seven seasons where he amassed 40 wins and led the Bobcats to three Big Sky Conference championships. He also served as head coach at Eastern Washington, where he compiled a record of 37-32 from 1994-99, including the school's first outright conference title in 1997. His 77 career wins, 52 of which came in league play, ranked third all-time in conference history, and he is the only coach to win Big Sky Coach of the Year honors at two different schools.

From 2002-07 MSU went 35-26 (.574), including an eight-win campaign in 2006, the school's highest total since 1984. Kramer also orchestrated five-straight winning seasons, the longest for the program in more than 40 years (1956-64). The Bobcats' 2006 season also featured the school's first postseason win and postseason home game since 1984, and a No. 10 final national ranking"

He has to be at least considered I would think.

Maybe Tingey could interview some of the Georgia assistants while were down there....might as well get something out of the trip... :mrgreen:

I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Wulff isn't available after this season. Didn't EWU get put on probation last year for major violations while Wulff was there? If I remember correctly, he said it was because of a culture put in place by Kramer. I'd talk to both, but I'd look closely at what transpired at both EWU and MSU.

I'm probably setting my sights too high, but just for fun:

Dirk Koetter (this signing would reignite the school and region)

Aaron Price (coached here before, knows what to expect, piles on the points and yards at UTEP)

Brian Wright (OC at Montana State, previously OC at Youngstown State, good offensive mind, knows the FCS)

Ed Lamb (SUU, served on Harbaugh's staff at San Diego, energized a small Cedar City population, averaging about 8,000 a game this season, beat ranked Cal Poly this last week, narrow losses to FBS bottom feeders Wyoming & San Jose State)

Steve Axman (OC at Idaho, previously HC at NAU, good offensive mindset, heard he's not the best PR guy though)

Hawkins...
I like Dan Hawkins if (or should I say when) he's cut loose from Colorado. I like him for several reasons. First, he likes to bring in Idaho kids. Can he get the best of the best in Idaho? Who knows. But, he brought a bunch to Boise... TJ Acree (Highland HS), Korey Hall (Glenns Ferry HS), Derek Schouman (Eagle HS), Colt Brooks (Bishop Kelly), Sherm Blaser (Eagle HS), Jeff Carpenter (Kuna HS), Jon Helmandollar (Eagle HS), Brad Lau (Capital HS), Tad Miller (Bishop Kelly HS), and Nick Schlekeway (Eagle HS) and more. Each had significant impact on the success of the program.

He's a motivator. One of his best aspects in Boise was putting the chip on the players' shoulders. He couldn't do that in Colorado. The Buffaloes are members of the BCS. He can bring back the chip in Pocatello. He can get the kids fired up. Players will play for him.

Finally, he's a face to the community. He doesn't shy away from public appearances. He pushed for and received commitments on facility improvements. He can fire up corporate donors.

I don't think his years of coaching are done. ISU would provide him a place to start over. ISU and Dan could build something special. Both would have no where else to go but up.

Koetter...
Although I'm not a huge Koetter fan, I also think he would be a good coach at ISU. He brought Idaho kids into the Bronco program... Brock Forsey, for one. A local guy that's been around. He left Boise for greener pastures only to find out that they were not so green. He's got a good gig now, though. If he's interested, there would be some chemistry with ISU.

Fantasy Coach...
Just for the fun of it... Lou Holtz. He's crazy. I don't particularly like him but he's passionate. He'll get to the bottom of the Bengal problems and right the ship. Would he take on the Bengal project? Who knows. He certainly wouldn't do it for the money. If he'd do it, he'd probably do it for the challenge.

Fantasy coach -- John L. Smith. Currently he's an assistant coach at Arkansas. Has had a great resume as head coach at various places. He's from Idaho Falls originally and played QB at Weber. If he wanted a head coaching job bad enough, then I suppose he could come here.

Ed Lamb at Southern Utah and Nigel Burton at Portland State illustrate how bringing in the right guy at the right time can make a HUGE difference. When you talk about schools that need facilities upgrades and schools that have struggled in the win and loss column--they both are comparable to Idaho State. These would be two guys that I would point to as difference makers.

bengalcub said:

Cub, some folks on the bobcat board would agree with you:

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22380

Re: Bad stuff happening at ISU
by BelgradeBobcat on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:47 pm

ISU needs a coach and a promoter. They need someone with a missionary's zeal and a pied piper personality. They need someone to energize the fan base and make them feel like there's hope. They need someone who doesn't make excuses because of facilities, academics, or location, They need someone who-well-maybe oversells things a little bit, but has the charisma to be quickly forgiven. They need someone not afraid to bring in some transfers and take some chances. And on top of all that they need a really good football coach...In other words-ISU needs Mike Kramer. If anybody can turn it around down there-the Big Human can!

biobengal said:
bengalcub said:

Cub, some folks on the bobcat board would agree with you:

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22380

Re: Bad stuff happening at ISU
by BelgradeBobcat on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:47 pm

ISU needs a coach and a promoter. They need someone with a missionary's zeal and a pied piper personality. They need someone to energize the fan base and make them feel like there's hope. They need someone who doesn't make excuses because of facilities, academics, or location, They need someone who-well-maybe oversells things a little bit, but has the charisma to be quickly forgiven. They need someone not afraid to bring in some transfers and take some chances. And on top of all that they need a really good football coach...In other words-ISU needs Mike Kramer. If anybody can turn it around down there-the Big Human can!

hmmm...

good find bio! i am smitten with the idea that we have come to such a state in our fb program that other program's fans would be interested in helping us out (ie, recommending new coaches and coaching changes). of course as bad as zamberlin is for bengal football i guess i have yet consider how bad he also is for the bigsky.

If you could get Dan Hawkins when he cut loose, it would be impressive. I think it would bring very good energy and a good coach to Pocatello.

qb said:
If you could get Dan Hawkins when he cut loose, it would be impressive. I think it would bring very good energy and a good coach to Pocatello.

I agree that it would be impressive but it's not going to happen.

What about Brent Pease or Bob Gregory of Boise State? Pease is from Idaho and has been the OC at Montana, Baylor and Kentucky. Gregory coached with Hawkins at Willamette and BSU and was the DC at Cal the last 8 years. Also a guy with HC experience that is a D-1 coordinator is Jay Losey at Oregon State. He was a long time head coach at Linfield and put up an amazing record in D-3. With all of these guys it's not their first rodeo.

Homey- I think Brent Pease is a great suggestion. If he was at ISU I think we would see large amounts of points on the board. If he hired a strong defensive mind to go with him, it may not take too long to see ISU back at the top.

Really just about any name posted on this board has me excited for the next coaching regime.

Latest posts

Back