• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Potential Head Coaches

E-Wu Tang Clan

Baldwin obviously, just coaching QBs for the Calgary Stampeders. Maybe Baldwin is more comfortable at the FCS level and at at a school where there aren't a lot of academic restrictions.

Chris Fisk, head coach at Central Washington. Seems like we tend to poach from CWU a lot but Fisk has had a lot of recent success at CWU. CWU made it to the 3rd round of the D2 playoffs in the 2023 season where they lost to the #1 ranked Colorado School of Mines. He is a former offensive coordinator and the GNAC coach of the year in 2021 before CWU moved to the Lone Star Conference.

Zak HIll, was coaching high school but now does offensive quality control for the Seahawks. He basically works for Ryan Grubb which was OC for UW last year. For those who don't know he was OC for EWU under Baldwin until he left to OC for Boise State then Arizona State after. He left Arizona State for recruiting violations, getting caught talking to recruits in a black out period.

Jim McElwain, current Central Michigan head coach and former Eastern QB in the 80s. He would certainly have to take a large pay decrease but has had losing seasons the last few years at Central Michigan. He certainly has the coaching pedigree with head coaching stops at Florida, Colorado State and offensive coordinator at Alabama for Nick Saban. His three year contract extension with Central Michigan ends after the 2025 season.

Jeff Schmedding, EWU's former DC and WSU's current DC. If I remember right it was between him and Best for head coach after Baldwin left. He left for Boise State after 2018, got elevated to DC then followed Boise State's head coach to Auburn. They all got fired then got hired as DC at WSU. He might see it as a downgrade but WSU is basically G5 status now.

Bodie Reeder. Former OC that left EWU for Northern Texas after 2018 CCG appearance and has been just been bouncing around from school to school since. I'm not sure why. I have the same reservations one would have hiring someone who bounces around from job to job even though he was kind of proved himself at Eastern.

Pat McCann, EWU's former WR coach/interim OC and current OC at Fresno State. He has no head coaching experience and I don't even know if he wants to be head coach but fits like a glove into our recent offensive identity. Best offered him the OC position at the end of 2021 but he took a job coaching WRs at Fresno State. Paired with a competent DC as assistant head coach would be a good combination. He would have to take a pay decrease.

Pete Carroll, former head coach of the Seattle Seahawks and USC. I'm sure an college FCS job would be a lot less stressful and would give him something to do instead of hanging around UW practices. His pro style offensive philosophy is outdated though.

Do what Idaho did and pick up a OC from a successful FCS team like Jason Eck at SDSU.

If you think about it, it is a good thing that we know Best's contract won't be renewed early in the season so the AD can shop around. We could've went 7-5 or 6-6 with one or two good close wins and have Best's contract extended for another few years of being mid tier.

Edit: feel free to make your own suggestions.

Last edited:
Of the list...
  • Baldwin: my top choice by far. IMO, he's more or less the linchpin of EWU's success from the early 2ks until a few years after leaving. My concern is whether he's up to the task of rebuilding a program since I don't think he's ever had to rebuild a program aside from Cal Poly but he was only there for what a couple years? If I recall when he took over at EWU we were already in decent shape.
  • Hill: I think he'd be my second choice. I like the EWU ties and the NFL experience.
  • Reeder: Not sure I'm feeling this one. Does he even have HC experience? Seeing him return as an OC would be fine in my book though.
  • Schmedding: I'd be fine but it's probably a pay cut and if he's already doing well there he can probably parley that into a bigger job at a top tier program.
  • Carrol: Ok, this would actually be my top choice, though I don't see any chance in this happening. But it doesn't hurt to reach out to him. Outdated thinking aside, the sheer star publicity and players he could bring in would be worth it.
  • Idaho Route: If we're talking about a top tier FCS program, then maybe... I think Idaho caught lightening in a bottle though so it's definitely a roll of the dice.

No. Sorry, I don’t see any of these as viable. Baldwin did great here, but the red flags make him unattractive at this point. Schmedding would be a dream, but he isn’t taking a big pay cut. I think there are at least a couple names you’re leaving off that might be interested, even if it means a pay cut.

No. Sorry, I don’t see any of these as viable. Baldwin did great here, but the red flags make him unattractive at this point. Schmedding would be a dream, but he isn’t taking a big pay cut. I think there are at least a couple names you’re leaving off that might be interested, even if it means a pay cut.
WSU is not going to be able to maintain those coach salaries. Yea it is a bit of a reach though but I don't think it's completely out of the question.

I gave the example of Bobby Hauck who went 15-48 at Nevada then went back to Montana and they're doing great now. I don't think there is much reason to think Baldwin couldn't do the same.

But feel free to give your own suggestions instead of just shooting down all of mine.

Of the list...
  • Baldwin: my top choice by far. IMO, he's more or less the linchpin of EWU's success from the early 2ks until a few years after leaving. My concern is whether he's up to the task of rebuilding a program since I don't think he's ever had to rebuild a program aside from Cal Poly but he was only there for what a couple years? If I recall when he took over at EWU we were already in decent shape.
  • Hill: I think he'd be my second choice. I like the EWU ties and the NFL experience.
  • Reeder: Not sure I'm feeling this one. Does he even have HC experience? Seeing him return as an OC would be fine in my book though.
  • Schmedding: I'd be fine but it's probably a pay cut and if he's already doing well there he can probably parley that into a bigger job at a top tier program.
  • Carrol: Ok, this would actually be my top choice, though I don't see any chance in this happening. But it doesn't hurt to reach out to him. Outdated thinking aside, the sheer star publicity and players he could bring in would be worth it.
  • Idaho Route: If we're talking about a top tier FCS program, then maybe... I think Idaho caught lightening in a bottle though so it's definitely a roll of the dice.
Best is actually pretty good at recruiting so I think the talent is here. Just some holes that need filled.

WSU is not going to be able to maintain those coach salaries. Yea it is a bit of a reach though but I don't think it's completely out of the question.

I gave the example of Bobby Hauck who went 15-48 at Nevada then went back to Montana and they're doing great now. I don't think there is much reason to think Baldwin couldn't do the same.

But feel free to give your own suggestions instead of just shooting down all of mine.
Done

Because Eastern doesn’t pay as well as so many comparable jobs, hiring someone that has an honest emotional connection to the university and perhaps is motivated by something other than $$$$ only is helpful.

Fisk might be an option as this would represent enough of a forward step to justify it.

McElwain, Baldwin, and maybe even a guy like Jimmy Lake in Atlanta could be options if they are willing to take a step down in pay. With McElwain and Lake, they’re already wealthy enough that a pay decrease won’t affect them much at this stage in their life. Obviously, both are true Eastern guys.

Reeder doesn’t seem to fit for me only because he really has no NW connections other than having briefly at Eastern. We were no more than a pit stop for him. McCann is interesting, but the future for Fresno is looking up and he’s likely to make far more staying. He’s not a guy that has the bankroll to take a lower paying job.

This thread is really cowardly. You all have the guy terminated while you hide behind a screen name. OK we are 1 win and 2 close loses, give the staff some support rather than a noose.
Get a life!
Cal Clausen

This thread is really cowardly. You all have the guy terminated while you hide behind a screen name. OK we are 1 win and 2 close loses, give the staff some support rather than a noose.
Get a life!
Cal Clausen
I think if you're on a fan board you would be more informed then simply looking at scores of the games thus far. Or at least recognize the trend of the last two seasons.

Get a clue!

Because Eastern doesn’t pay as well as so many comparable jobs, hiring someone that has an honest emotional connection to the university and perhaps is motivated by something other than $$$$ only is helpful.

Fisk might be an option as this would represent enough of a forward step to justify it.

McElwain, Baldwin, and maybe even a guy like Jimmy Lake in Atlanta could be options if they are willing to take a step down in pay. With McElwain and Lake, they’re already wealthy enough that a pay decrease won’t affect them much at this stage in their life. Obviously, both are true Eastern guys.

Reeder doesn’t seem to fit for me only because he really has no NW connections other than having briefly at Eastern. We were no more than a pit stop for him. McCann is interesting, but the future for Fresno is looking up and he’s likely to make far more staying. He’s not a guy that has the bankroll to take a lower paying job.
If McElwain keeps having losing seasons he won't get a new contract and probably won't get any interest from any other FBS team at least as head coach.

Baldwin is already in that boat in that he won't get another head coach or coordinator job in the FBS with his record. I don't know how much the CFL pays its QB coaches but I'm guessing its not a ton. So he has to take a pay cut.

Eastern still plays twice as much as FCS coordinators or D2 coaches. I'm sure plenty of up and coming coaches would love to double their salary and advance their career. That's how shit works in the NFL and FBS I don't know why you think it would be different for us dude.

As a diehard Eagle fan I finally have to speak my mind. AB is a great ambassador for eagle football and has made some great contributions to the Eagle football program. Without a doubt I positively feel like he has run this program into the ground.
He has had some success in the years of 2017-2021. The majority of those FB players were Beau Baldwin recruits. You could see the gradual decrease from the 2018 season where they made the FCS championship game. Remember that he some high level asst coaches, troy taylor. zak hill.) jeff sckmedling come to mind(now the wsu defensive coordinator )etc. In his defense the eastern asst coaches once they get success move on to greener pastures. However, BB seemed to always attract good assistant coaches to his program. Coach best doesn't seem to attract good assistant coaches nor does it seem that he coach up assistant coaches and make them better. In talking with a well known player who played on the 2018 fcs championship team he told me that the asst coaches and some players either really like Coach best or dont really respect him. I believe the latter, look at the all the asst coaches that have bailed on him.

This same player even said Coach best even burned his bridges with Cooper Kupp and his brother Ketner.

Lets not kid ourselves about the great disparity in talent that Beau baldwin could bring in versus Coach Best. Its not even close, BB had guys drafted into the NLF and CFL In the last four years not one EWU football player that Coach Best has recruited has made the CFL or NFL. ( on a side note, I remember watching EWU play the Huskies during the BB era and I thought there four or five guys who could have started for the huskies. When EWU can get that same type of talent it will be relevant again.

Finally, Coach Best does not seem to be put a premium on getting defensive line recruits on campus for some odd reason. He seems to recruit a ton of of offensive line man and not a stud defensive lineman. The same can be said at running back, tuna athair is not the answer, good running rb but no breakaway speed. We don't have a Rb who is a serious threat( think dennis merritt, quincy forte), We have a stable of RB who are serviceable but not great. OUR QB has a good arm bit not great. These myriad of problems can be fixed and they stand out like a sore thumb.

In closing, when the EWU president RUDY Arevalo was around he understood that athletics help a university great . Now we suck and still play on a glorified high school football field. Its sad that we missed all momentum to put EWU at the top. The athletic department and the the who EWU administration missed the boat

If McElwain keeps having losing seasons he won't get a new contract and probably won't get any interest from any other FBS team at least as head coach.

Baldwin is already in that boat in that he won't get another head coach or coordinator job in the FBS with his record. I don't know how much the CFL pays its QB coaches but I'm guessing its not a ton. So he has to take a pay cut.

Eastern still plays twice as much as FCS coordinators or D2 coaches. I'm sure plenty of up and coming coaches would love to double their salary and advance their career. That's how shit works in the NFL and FBS I don't know why you think it would be different for us dude.
CFL doesn’t pay well. Never has.

Get a life!
Cal Clausen
This is a valid point. One thing I’ve learned is the fans who often complain the loudest are the ones with the least skin in the game. Let’s be straight, if we had more people buying tickets and donating to the program, we likely aren’t in the situation we’re in now. This is on everyone. But the head coach is always gonna be the one who wears it.

But the ROI for Best is in a bad place. The AD put together an extremely favorable schedule. We’re 1-2 with two close losses, but we’ve played 3 bad teams and lost to two of them. It costs money to bring in Monmouth and Drake, that’s why we so rarely get games like this.

This is a valid point. One thing I’ve learned is the fans who often complain the loudest are the ones with the least skin in the game. Let’s be straight, if we had more people buying tickets and donating to the program, we likely aren’t in the situation we’re in now. This is on everyone. But the head coach is always gonna be the one who wears it.

But the ROI for Best is in a bad place. The AD put together an extremely favorable schedule. We’re 1-2 with two close losses, but we’ve played 3 bad teams and lost to two of them. It costs money to bring in Monmouth and Drake, that’s why we so rarely get games like this.
Best is on the last year of his contract and Eastern is losing to bad teams. I don't know how it could be any more obvious he is gone at the end of the season. That's not complaining. That's moving on.

Yep we paid $285,000 to a non scholarship team to lose at home. Let that sink in.

Unlike their game in Week 3 at Southeastern Louisiana, this game is not part of a home-and-home; the Eagles won’t be making a return trip to Des Moines, Iowa. Eastern will pay Drake $285,000 for playing in Cheney, according to reporting by fbschedules.com. (It paid Monmouth $250,000 for last week’s game.)

Last edited:
Get a life!
Cal Clausen
While I understand this to a point you have to be realistic here. 2 years ago we went 3-8, last year we went 4-7, this year we are 1-2 with a VERY difficult stretch ahead and its very likely we don't win more than 2 or 3 games this year.

Perhaps everyone on here wants a better football team, heck, this is a fan football board. No one is knocking Best as an individual, he's a great guy, great EWU guy, has done great things here, but recently things have really slipped, he's at the end of his contract and its just flat common sense to know these conversations are taking place at all levels.

As a diehard Eagle fan I finally have to speak my mind. AB is a great ambassador for eagle football and has made some great contributions to the Eagle football program. Without a doubt I positively feel like he has run this program into the ground.
He has had some success in the years of 2017-2021. The majority of those FB players were Beau Baldwin recruits. You could see the gradual decrease from the 2018 season where they made the FCS championship game. Remember that he some high level asst coaches, troy taylor. zak hill.) jeff sckmedling come to mind(now the wsu defensive coordinator )etc. In his defense the eastern asst coaches once they get success move on to greener pastures. However, BB seemed to always attract good assistant coaches to his program. Coach best doesn't seem to attract good assistant coaches nor does it seem that he coach up assistant coaches and make them better. In talking with a well known player who played on the 2018 fcs championship team he told me that the asst coaches and some players either really like Coach best or dont really respect him. I believe the latter, look at the all the asst coaches that have bailed on him.

This same player even said Coach best even burned his bridges with Cooper Kupp and his brother Ketner.

Lets not kid ourselves about the great disparity in talent that Beau baldwin could bring in versus Coach Best. Its not even close, BB had guys drafted into the NLF and CFL In the last four years not one EWU football player that Coach Best has recruited has made the CFL or NFL. ( on a side note, I remember watching EWU play the Huskies during the BB era and I thought there four or five guys who could have started for the huskies. When EWU can get that same type of talent it will be relevant again.

Finally, Coach Best does not seem to be put a premium on getting defensive line recruits on campus for some odd reason. He seems to recruit a ton of of offensive line man and not a stud defensive lineman. The same can be said at running back, tuna athair is not the answer, good running rb but no breakaway speed. We don't have a Rb who is a serious threat( think dennis merritt, quincy forte), We have a stable of RB who are serviceable but not great. OUR QB has a good arm bit not great. These myriad of problems can be fixed and they stand out like a sore thumb.

In closing, when the EWU president RUDY Arevalo was around he understood that athletics help a university great . Now we suck and still play on a glorified high school football field. Its sad that we missed all momentum to put EWU at the top. The athletic department and the the who EWU administration missed the boat
There is a lot right about this post. Arevalo retiring was such a huge issue. The next Pres was atrocious and undid all of the great things Arevalo did. By the time she was canned, the university had regressed to where it was in the 80s…. No students and no money. It took a while for this to crush the football program, but our peer institutions plowed forward while Eastern took on water. Fixing this won’t be easy, but getting another forward-thinking, growth-minded leader would sure help.

And yeah, the talent- both on the field and amongst the coaches- has seen a non-stop steady decline. To say we aren’t getting guys who can even get a look from the NFL is the least of our problems. How many players do we have that are All Conference? You could make an argument our best players are at best barely Third Team All Big Sky, and even then it’s only 3 or 4 guys.

As for the DL, that’s a weird one. I really thought landing Anthony James was going to be a massive infusion of talent. And yet, he doesn’t even play. I don’t know what to make of it. The only thing I can think is he’s being redshirted. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

Last edited:
Who decided, pushed for and ok'd spending 1/2 million in one season and getting two winable D1 teams? Great job specially when money is always a big issue. Was it Lynn Hickey thinking we'd be ready for a playoff run. Or did new AD Tim Collins swing this with his new arrival?
In this day and age off season player acquisition if what can make it or break it. DLine always the toughest crew to get..specially DTackles. We aren't bringing in enough game changers. EWU Football is on the clock and we didn't help things out with this start.

Who decided, pushed for and ok'd spending 1/2 million in one season and getting two winable D1 teams? Great job specially when money is always a big issue. Was it Lynn Hickey thinking we'd be ready for a playoff run. Or did new AD Tim Collins swing this with his new arrival?
In this day and age off season player acquisition if what can make it or break it. DLine always the toughest crew to get..specially DTackles. We aren't bringing in enough game changers. EWU Football is on the clock and we didn't help things out with this start.
Apparently we only get $400k for the Nevada game. So this whole probably 2 win season is going to put us in the red and not just the field.

The Wolf Pack also will get $150,000 to play at Troy while requiring payments of $400,000 to Eastern Washington and $100,000 to Georgia Southern for home games at Mackay Stadium.

Latest posts

Back