• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Practice Field

biobengal

All,

What's the word on the new practice field? Apparently, as far as I can tell, it broke ground a couple months ago, they should have some progress. Any photos?

Last I saw a few weeks ago, the ground was leveled and prepared for the turf.

I'd imagine it will be done soon, certainly ready to go by the start of August practice.

PBP

I was hoping they would have posted a few photos as updates every now and then, too. One, to show the progress. Two, to energize fans, players, and recruits. And three, to add filler to an otherwise slow time.

However, you can still click on the multimedia tab and "get on board" for the 2010 season!

http://isubengals.com/sports/2010/10/7/GEN_1007100010.aspx?path=general&tab=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sasquatch said:
However, you can still click on the multimedia tab and "get on board" for the 2010 season!

http://isubengals.com/sports/2010/10/7/GEN_1007100010.aspx?path=general&tab=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or... find out about promotions for the 2011 season.

http://www.isubengals.com/sports/2010/12/1/GEN_1201100017.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This story was in the Journal today. FYI:

Open for business — nearing completion, ISU’s practice field already being put to good use

A temporary fence is up, but that hasn’t stopped a few Idaho State athletes from digging their cleats into the new practice field south of Holt Arena.

The ICCU Practice field at the Papenberg Sports Complex is nearing completion. ISU Director of Athletics Jeff Tingey said there are a few projects left to complete, like a sprinkler system and a more permanent fence.

“Regardless of that, our teams and community have been taking advantage of the field already,” Tingey said.

Other than ISU athletes, a high school football camp used the turf recently, and Tingey expects full completion of the project in four to six weeks.

But from an Idaho State athletic perspective, the field’s true value will arrive in the coming months.

It starts with football’s ability to practice on the turf and experience conditions found outside the comfortable confines of Holt Arena, something similar to what they will deal with on road trips to Weber State or Southern Utah.

And the turf’s value extends into the spring when head coach Allison Gibson and the Bengals' soccer team can practice on a full-sized field.

Typically, soccer players have been stuck in racquetball or basketball courts during the cold months, sharpening individuals skills because Davis Field is a hard sheet of ice.

"When our field gets frozen it’s literally like being on ice skates,” Gibson said. “... We’ve made it work and we’ve embraced the challenge because it’s helped build our character — which has been awesome. But I think we’re really excited to have that practice facility in the spring and through the winter.”

Now Gibson can take her squad onto a big surface and practice 11 versus 11 while focusing on tactical development. That’s a particularly big bonus for the Big Sky’s defending champions because of the limited time they have with one another in fall camp.

“We’re not allowed to train our kids over the summer,” Gibson said. “It makes it pretty hard coming in (to the season’s opening game). So we really need that spring season.”

And the turf, it is hoped, can also be a boon for recruiting. Tingey said university athletic facilities are in an arms race and the practice field is one way ISU is trying to market itself.

"It’s the nature of the beast and we’re trying to compete,” Tingey said.

As far as Gibson is concerned, the new facility is an added selling point for her program.

“For the whole time I’ve been here, I’ve always sold Davis Field on just its rich character and history,” Gibson said. “The setting is unlike almost hardly any schools that we play at.

“It’s awesome to have the coach’s office, locker rooms, training facilities, everything, right next to the field. It’s almost unheard of in a lot of situations. This will just add to that selling point and that whole package that we’ve put together for prospective student-athletes.”

For those of us who are "out of towners," Jeff Tingey has some pictures on his twitter account of the new practice field...

https://twitter.com/TingeyJeff13

BJmSTo6CYAAa7Jo.jpg:large

The practice field looks very nice and will be a nice recruiting tool. Thanks to people like Jeff Tingey, Donna Hays and Jay McMillan for all the hard work that they've done to make this practice field a reality. I still can't believe that Jay's not with us anymore because I'll always see him as part of the Bengal family.

Latest posts

Back