• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Predict the record

Franko

Let’s hear what y’all think … (all caps = home games) (beside each game in parentheses isn’t a prediction … it’s simply listing which team Vegas would favor as of today)

SIMON FRASER (the favorite = ISU)
Colorado (CU)
Oregon State (OSU)
SACRAMENTO STATE (ISU)
Portland State (PSU)
Northern Arizona (NAU)
NORTH DAKOTA (UND)
SOUTHERN UTAH (SUU)
Montana (UM)
Eastern Washington (EWU)
WEBER STATE (WSU)

I think we win 5 games and go 4-4 in conference. In my optimistic mind that's an excellent record given the schedule we play.

If we win against Sacramento State at Holt Arena to go 1 - 0 in the Big Sky I will be a happy fan. If we finish the season with a win against Weber State on Senior Day at Holt Arena I will be thinking the season was better than the 2015 season.

As a semi-related discussion topic, and since ranking things is fun, here are ISU’s 11 games ranked in order of difficulty …

Level I: Idaho State just wants to escape alive
1. Colorado
2. Oregon State

Level II: Win here and it’d be the best road win Idaho State has had in more than a decade
3. Montana
4. Portland State
5. Eastern Washington

Level III: It’s a dome — this feels familiar!
6. Northern Arizona

Level IV: Tough, really tough … but, hey, the Bengals are at home
7. Weber State
8. North Dakota

Level V: Let’s win these games!
9. Southern Utah
10. Sacramento State

Level VI: Wait, these guys are from Canada? Let’s hope they escape alive
11. Simon Fraser

I won't predict a record. I will say that when all is said and done, this could be a much better team than last season's in all areas but the record may not necessarily show it because if there is a more difficult schedule in the Big Sky I'd like to see it.

PBP

Come on PBP.. To be the best you have to play the best... In my opinion, our offense may not be as good as last season because of the three OL graduating, Finney graduating, and Sanders transferring. Our Defense may or may not be as good as last season... Have to wait and see how they do during the games. This is a new season so we will see how this team competes this season.

up for the challenge said:
Come on PBP.. To be the best you have to play the best... In my opinion, our offense may not be as good as last season because of the three OL graduating, Finney graduating, and Sanders transferring. Our Defense may or may not be as good as last season... Have to wait and see how they do during the games. This is a new season so we will see how this team competes this season.

I'm of the same opinion as Mike that the conference has to do something better to stabilize the schedules plus they are going to have to do something when Idaho returns. You can't have a 14 team league. Whether they want to or not, they are going to have to find an arrangement that works for everyone and split into two divisions in my opinion.

PBP

In an unbalanced league like the Big Sky, scheduling is a huge factor. Two seasons ago Idaho State beat only one team with a winning record, but finished 8-4 due to a kind schedule. Last year Southern Utah lost to Portland State but, because they didn't have to play Montana or North Dakota, wound up winning the conference championship. Jeff Tingey said in his article on the ISU web site that the Big Sky is talking about going to a 9-game league schedule to make things a little bit more fair. That and going to divisions are a must, in my view, especially if North Dakota stays in the league and Idaho joins.

A head coach i coached for the last 5 years (he was an assistant coach at University of Michigan on there national title team in 1997) taught me something I always remembered = "to win football games you have to be good on defense, posses the football (i.e. Move the chains, limit turnovers) & be sound on special teams." He learned that from Loyd Carr the Michigan head coach during his time there. It is very apparent that Coach Kramer and the staff are putting these key ingredients at a high premier this season. Now we just gotta go be good! I see some good results this year. I predict the team has an "us against the world" mentality this season with the tough schedule and more road games than home games etc etc. I know the Colorado Buffaloes will be as overconfident as any team on the planet September 10th. I say we pull the upset of the year at Boulder, Colorado that day.

Vs SFU 50-0 w
@ Colorado 24-21 w
@ Oregon state 14-28 L
Vs Sac State 28-20 w
@ Portland state 17-24 L
@ No. Arizona 14-35 L
Vs North Dakota 28-20 w
Vs So. Utah 21-20 w
@ montana 17-30 L
@ eastern Washington 28-40 L
Vs weber state 24-21 w

6-5 record for 2016 season

Clawsout - some team in the league will be the surprise team of the league like there is every year in every league, why not us. Stay somewhat healthy

It is great to see viewers predicting that our Bengals will do better than than the pre-season polls indicated in the Big Sky. For me, I am going with the media and coaches votes saying that the only team we win against this season in the Big Sky is Sacramento State. I will go out on a limb and say we have a chance against Southern Utah and Weber State but I would not bet on it. I am fan and want to see the team do well but I agree with the media and coaches polls. I say we win 2 games this season but it would be nice to get 3 wins.

5-6 would be great...... 3-8 is more likely
However, I like the buzz coming from the coaches willing to change to win more games, if the offense can average more than 21 a game we will hit 5-6 I think

I do not why Northern Arizona is considered a level III by Franko as the Lumberjacks are favored to win the Big Sky according to the media and preseason polls. I would think NAU would be a level II

Preseason and media polls don't mean anything. I wonder who (in the media and preseason) knew that Portland would beat Washington State, and Southern Utah would win it all... but UFTC, I think maybe Franko put it as a level lll because it's in a dome and we practice in a dome... idk. Lol just a guess as to his thought.

I do not why Northern Arizona is considered a level III by Franko as the Lumberjacks are favored to win the Big Sky according to the media and preseason polls. I would think NAU would be a level II
I might make it a Level 1 considering ISU hasn't won in Flagstaff since 1984.

Skippy said:
In an unbalanced league like the Big Sky, scheduling is a huge factor. Two seasons ago Idaho State beat only one team with a winning record, but finished 8-4 due to a kind schedule. Last year Southern Utah lost to Portland State but, because they didn't have to play Montana or North Dakota, wound up winning the conference championship. Jeff Tingey said in his article on the ISU web site that the Big Sky is talking about going to a 9-game league schedule to make things a little bit more fair. That and going to divisions are a must, in my view, especially if North Dakota stays in the league and Idaho joins.

Only bad thing about a nine game schedule is the unbalance of home and road games, half of the teams are gonna have 1 more home game and the other half is going to have 1 more road game. Now I'm all for a 9 game schedy if AND ONLY IF the home/away schedules change every year. I don't want to see Weber have consecutive seasons of 4 home and 5 road games while the Montana's of the conference have consecutive 5 homes and 4 roads. it has to be alternating every year for every team.

On a side note, looks like former ISU football coach John Zamberlin is now the linebackers coach at Rocky Mountain High School in Meridian, and he teaches English there as well. You'll see him this weekend in Pocatello as the Grizzlies play in the Rocky Mountain Rumble. Friday night they play Pleasant Grove HS of Utah at 5:30 pm.

Latest posts

Back