• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

PSU\'S football stadium

Wyokie

Sorry! Couldn't remember the name of it.
icon_redface.gif

How old is it? Wyoming's War Memorial has been around since 1950. /users/31/07/37/smiles/icon9.gif

WOW!!! 75 year old stadium.

It was probably host to the USFL's Portland Breakers in 1985. Remember them?

I remember the Breakers... Way back in the day it used to host greyhound racing and was known as Multnomah Stadium.

The stadium has a great history for local sports fans. Everyone from Jack Dempsey to Pele has participated in events at PGE Park.

It does have a great history (Which very much includes great moments in the Pokey Allen era of PSU football). Unfortunately, it's poor location and utter lack of parking has hurt the attendance of the Beavers, Timbers, and (most importantly for this board) the Vikings.

-SciFi

Poor location in that there is no room to expand it or add parking. Poor location in that the area can not support the traffic when big events come to the park. It seems to me that portland has greater potential when it comes to football than the PSU attendance shows. I know plenty of football fans who stay home because the park is just too difficult to get to.

Remember when PSU played a season at Hillsboro Stadium? If my memory serves me correctly, I believe every home game was filled to capacity. Though the capacity of that park is much less (10,000 I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it is MUCH easier to get to and can support tailgating. It is pretty far out from downtown; but, I think it is a much better location for PSU Football.

Okay, I'm not on board with the poor location excuse for lack of attendance...

Yeah, I've been going to events at Civic/PGE for years, and I may know the spots of where to park and get there quickly.

Park in a lot on the other side of 405 and it's just a 10 minute walk to the stadium. From campus, it's just a ride on the street car and the same walk. Or take MAX, it drops you off right in front of the stadium. If you want to actually park close to the stadium, park out near Davis street a little early and it's no problem finding a spot.

I just don't get the argument on the poor location of PGE Park.

What we need, is a tailgate spot. The AD should work with some locations in NW Portland to find a couple of spots.

A tailgate spot would be great. I've had a few people on the AGS site ask where a prime spot for tailgating is at PGE and I could not give them an answer.

The year at Hillsboro was great and we got the crowds there, but Hillsboro is similar to a lot of the smaller I-AA fields and nowhere near the stadiums of the other Big Sky schools. PGE is a typical Big Sky stadium and could be as loud if the fans came out.

Typical Big Sky stadium?

EWU 8,700
ISU 12,000, proposed to be downsized to 11,000 in exchange for luxury suites.
UM 23,000 and change
MSU 15,000
NAU 15,000
UNC 8,500
CSUS 17,000, was expanded to 26,000 for WLAF and CFL
WSU 17,000

Some have tracks. Nobody else shares with baseball. Only Montana and Montana State consistently approach full capacity.

PGE Park is quite unique. Too unique, really. Even Louisville got out of the business of sharing with AAA baseball for many good reasons.

Problem: should Portland State actually manage 1-A, PGE Park becomes too small IF you want to attract any decent schools. It's too small even with left-field bleachers. It's also too BIG for Big Sky competition. Portland State may as well try to fund expansion of the Lincoln HS stadium and play there without paying much rent.

I've heard objections to Hillsboro (no beer being a major one). I know there's little or no transit to there. While I've suggested in the past that the suburbs may be more appropriate for football, I'm not totally sold on that location. That being said, I was dismayed when PSU returned to Old Civic / New PGE the next year and only drew 500 better officially than they did in Hillsboro. BTW, I thought I'd heard that capacity at Hillsboro, with the added bleachers, was 10,000, for which PSU only drew about 7K per game... did I hear wrong?

So, burning question: Delta Park?

Actually, I didn't. . . put your cursor over "this thread." I didn't realize that making a link that way would put it stealth mode.
icon_rolleyes.gif

-SciFi

Wouldn't natural turf have some drainage issues? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see natural grass in PGE Park, but I just see too many issues.

Draining PGE Park with it's location would most likely need a creative (expensive) solution. If I recall correctly, the site used to have a creek going through it.

The owners of PGE Park do not want additional monthly expenses. While natural turf is less capital up front, it comes with a monthly expense that artificial turf does not.

There is no way to make everyone happy in this situation. Soccer wants grass, PSU wants artificial turf with padding underneath, and baseball wants artificial turf on concrete.

First off, SciFi, please forgive my visual orientation.

I know there's additional monthly expenses with natural turf, but there's also additional monthly expenses for injuries incurred on the artificial stuff (that's hard to prove for football because of all the collisions, however it's easier to quantify for the others). There's an opportunity cost for the Timbers- and perhaps PSU- not being able to recruit better. I also argue that Portland has missed out on national team games (US and otherwise) that would have brought millions of $$ from out of town; those games always draw visitors.

Of course, the city's dream of maintaining a multipurpose stadium was hare-brained in the first place. I don't know if that's water under the bridge or not. I do know it will never be on Tom Potter's to-do list.

Back