• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

PSU softball

pdxfan

On the eve of the NCAA game, PSU's softball team took 2 games from Minnesota and Boise State today, behind the fine pitching of Bernard and Latham. Bernard pitched a two hitter, with a record 10 strikeouts. Latham pitched a 4 hitter against Boise State; it was called early because the 8 run maximum was reached (we beat them 9-1). It's taken Bernard no time at all to get in the swing of things as a freshman. And Latham has finally found her groove. We're beginning to look like the championship team the coaches picked for us at the start of the season.

It's probably too early to guestimate, but we may have another NCAA team this spring in the women's softball squad. After winning two yesterday, they split two today but looked progressively better in doing so. By the 4th inning of the winning effort against Boise State Bernard was starting to give up hits; Latham cam in in relief and pitched the rest of the way flawlessly. With a 6 run lead the coach was able to give a couple more freshmen some experience, and they did well. McEachran hit a double. She played 3rd base all the way. 2 errors - but that's the way freshmen learn. 3rd base is one of our potential weaknesses - 2-3 freshmen lined up for it. Looks like Tobin sees McEachran as the best, and is prepared to tolerate errors along the way.
Boise State has only two seasons under its belt as a softball team, so it's not surprising we took both games from them. Weber State, starting this year, is even weaker; they lost all their games to Minnesota and BSU. We didn't play them, since we'll play them 4 times later this season, but it looks like they won't be much of a threat to us.

Our hitting is getting much better, and we're playing with few if any errors. Pitching is solid behind Bernard and Latham (and sometimes Rogers). As I said, potentialy NCAA.

UO took two from us today, 3-2 and 2-0. Our pitching's fine; Bernard threw a 4 hitter and Latham strung out 9 hits. But our hitting just wasn't there today, 4 hits in each game - maybe UO's pitching staff had something to do with it. It won't get any better this next weekend; we take on national No. 1 U. Washington in a doubleheader, then OSU the next day. We've saved the hardest for last; the next weekend we open the conference season against Northern Colorado. We should roll up big numbers against the conference this year - all new or relatively new teams. But our hitting's got to improve!

In a doubleheader today, PSU lost a close one and one not so close to the University of Washington, 3-2 and 7-0. Bernard pitched the first, striking out 8 batters. She's good, very good, especially as a freshman. We could have won that game, but were done in by 3 errors at strategic points. The game was tied into the 6th, 2 all. In the second game Rogers was shellacked and then in the 3rd inning Latham was brought in and didn't do much better. The Washington bats were too much. But - impressively - we had no errors. Just couldn't hit the way Washington did. Washington is presently ranked the best team in the country. These games give you a good idea of where we're at - high mid-major I'd guess, with only average batting at this point but good pitching. We've lost a couple games to errors but then, we're playing with 2-3 freshmen and that's to be expected. Will the errors cease? Will our batting improve? Hard to say, but batting should improve against the weaker Pacific Coast pitching. In the meantime, there's still OSU to play before the official season begins. Go Vikings!

PSU seeks another conference crown
Freshman Bertrand joins the mix on mound for Vikings

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=127067298879607500

PSU wins 1-0 and 4-0 against UNC today. It's going about as expected - the team's getting better. No errors in those two games! We now have at least two consistent hitters, Scoggins and Lynne, and McEachran is coming along. Skinner hit a home run! Is that her first of the season? Hitting is still anemic, but there's hope. In that Trib article you posted, Forestgreen, Tobin-Hawk said in regard to pre-season predictions she's not playing with expectations. Just as well she's not. But if we roll up UNC tomorrow it'll be step in the right direction.

pdxfan said:
PSU wins 1-0 and 4-0 against UNC today. It's going about as expected - the team's getting better. No errors in those two games! We now have at least two consistent hitters, Scoggins and Lynne, and McEachran is coming along. Skinner hit a home run! Is that her first of the season? Hitting is still anemic, but there's hope. In that Trib article you posted, Forestgreen, Tobin-Hawk said in regard to pre-season predictions she's not playing with expectations. Just as well she's not. But if we roll up UNC tomorrow it'll be step in the right direction.

Bertrand, Latham Pitch Vikings To Sweep Of Northern Colorado

http://www.goviks.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=204926070

Vikings sweep conference softball series

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=127106663101626600

PSU split with UVU this weekend, 2-2. That leaves us in first place, but tied with Seattle U. UVU is a surprise team, reaching four year college status only two years ago. Basketball's their main sport, and they're playing Division 1 schools though mostly losing. But their softball's a surprise; they've got one good pitcher and a whole lot of fine hitters. I've got to feel sorry for Bernard - she pitched two very good games but lost both because of infield errors, no fault of hers. She struck out 12 in one of those games! It looks like it'll come down to the four games against Seattle in three weeks time - we should sweep ISU and WSU, though ISU may be a problem. Our freshmen are playing into the lineup well, with McEachran mostly at third, Lynn in the outfield and Holm either catching or pinch hitting. Only one error among them, and pretty good hitting, mighty fine for freshmen. And finally, Latham is doing some superb pitching now the conference has started. In conference she's 3-0 with a .58 ERA. With Bernard, Latham and Rogers as pitching staff, it's no wonder we're in first place. Go Vikings!

PSU continued its winning ways, taking two from ISU this afternoon. In the first game Bernard did her usual stellar pitching - 16 stikeouts! In the second game iSU had a miserable 3-error first inning with 6 runs in. We won it 10-1 though they out-hit us. Two more tomorrow - go Vikings!

We did it again, taking two games from ISU on this sunny Sunday. Bernard went all the way in the tight first game, pitching a one hitter on the way to a 1-0 victory. Only seven strikeouts. In the second game (7-1) Rogers and Latham split duties with three innings each. Kendra Suhr made one of her rare pitching appearances, disposing of ISU in the last inning with no difficulty. With these games we move into a 10-2 record for first place. We're winning on our pitching and now error-free fielding; hitting remains a problem. We seem to have no high slugging percentage hitters; lots of singles, only a few long balls. Still, it's good enough to win. Go Vikings!

pdxfan said:
We did it again, taking two games from ISU on this sunny Sunday. Bernard went all the way in the tight first game, pitching a one hitter on the way to a 1-0 victory. Only seven strikeouts. In the second game (7-1) Rogers and Latham split duties with three innings each. Kendra Suhr made one of her rare pitching appearances, disposing of ISU in the last inning with no difficulty. With these games we move into a 10-2 record for first place. We're winning on our pitching and now error-free fielding; hitting remains a problem. We seem to have no high slugging percentage hitters; lots of singles, only a few long balls. Still, it's good enough to win. Go Vikings!

Viks Increases Mountain Division Lead With Sweep of Bengals

http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=204936401

Vikings Take Four-Game Series From Weber State

http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=204939664

A sunny - even hot - afternoon, great day for softball. We took two more from Seattle to sweep the series. Our batting has improved enormously, just in time for the playoffs down at Moraga and St. Mary. Pitching remains overall the best in the PCSC, on any given day better than St. Mary. Today Bernard took over from Suhr to win the first game, while in the second Tori Rogers went the distance to clean up the second (Bernard and Latham were the stars yesterday). It was fitting that D'Shaun Skinner, one of our graduating seniors, hit a homer in the last season's game at Erv Lind Park, while seniors Diede and Scoggins did their usual solid bat work. This turned out to be one of our best all time teams.

We have a good chance to win the championship next week. I would expect Bernard and Latham to pitch the first two games; if it comes to three games, Bernard will probably come back. St. Mary has a strong batting order, but our pitching should control them. St. Mary's fielding is spotty, and that may give us another edge. Go Vikings!

While twiddling my thumbs waiting for the championship games next week, I'm reduced to wondering why softball doesn't stir up more excitement (and talk on this board). Is it gender? The game? I'm inclined to think both. If we had baseball I'm sure there would be lots of attention. Media's the same - no coverage. It does cover baseball. I'm sure they think there's no interest at all in softball. Well, PSU proves it. Sport guys arre interested in guy sports. There are some sports gals out there, but they're sure not on this board.

if we win this week and head for the NCAAs, there may be a twitch of interest in the O; they just might slide a short story into the third page. And maybe there will be a few belated short words of approval here. This is a team that rregularly plays at the national level; what does it take for you to notice??!

pdxfan said:
While twiddling my thumbs waiting for the championship games next week, I'm reduced to wondering why softball doesn't stir up more excitement (and talk on this board). Is it gender? The game? I'm inclined to think both. If we had baseball I'm sure there would be lots of attention. Media's the same - no coverage. It does cover baseball. I'm sure they think there's no interest at all in softball. Well, PSU proves it. Sport guys arre interested in guy sports. There are some sports gals out there, but they're sure not on this board.

if we win this week and head for the NCAAs, there may be a twitch of interest in the O; they just might slide a short story into the third page. And maybe there will be a few belated short words of approval here. This is a team that rregularly plays at the national level; what does it take for you to notice??!

Maybe it's like soccer. They're good, but they play so far off campus that it sort of creates a disconnect. I agree, it's a shame that softball doesn't get more attention.

I hope next year will be different, but I'm not holding my breath. The thousand plus that we drew to the U. Washington game is a hint of what it could be. I wonder how many of us have been out to Erv Lind Stadium? It's only a ten minute drive from downtown Portland. It's like a retrospective view of the old Vaughan Street ball park of the Beavers. Plenty of parking. No popcorn and hot dogs but you can bring them. And the stands are close to the field. It's a cheap eight bucks for a lot of fun.

In anticipation of the Championship Series, here's a little background. PSU is the favorite here. Why? Our freshman pitcher Anna Bernard, for starters. In conference she has the second lowest ERA, first in opposing batting average, first in strikeouts. NOTE: she's 29th in the nation in overall strikeouts and 34th in ERA. That's against over three hundred pitchers. Anna has a fantastic future (and so does PSU, with her pitching). She's matched by junior Nicolle Latham, who is first in the conference in ERA. Against these two St. Mary's will put Linton, their only decent pitcher. In fact, Linton will pitch all of the games. She ranks 7th in ERA in the conference, in other respects only average. Going up against her will be senior Brandi Scoggins, who has the second highest batting average in conference, seconded by four other players with batting average in the .300s. Then there's fielding. PSU is in the top three teams in conference in this; SMC is in the bottom four.

PSU should win these games handily. Admittedly, funny things can happen - but I'm not too worried. Go Vikings!

PSU beat St. Mary's today, 1-0, behind the solid pitching of Bernard, who threw a two hitter along with 11 strikeouts. We had only 6 hits, but it was enough. No doubt Linton will pitch ofr SMC again tomorrow - she's the only trustworthy pitcher they have. But will Bernard go again, or will it be Latham? If Linton goes again it will be to our advantage; we can read her now. Latham will be new to them, but she allows more hits than Bernard on average. Still, her ERA is equally low. I expect more runs tomorrow, on both sides. One more and we go to the NCAAs! Go Vikings!

PSU women sports are kicking tail this year:

Vikings Win PCSC Title, Headed Back To NCAA Tournament

http://www.goviks.com/news/2011/5/14/SB_0514111427.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back